[MOD] (Alpha 8) Pump Range (Version 1.0) Initial Release

Started by Rock5, February 11, 2015, 08:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

Obsolete as of Alpha 9

PUMP RANGE
Description:

Shows the range that will get fertilized when selecting or placing Fertilizer Pumps.

Author
Rock5

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Downloads

[attachment deleted due to age]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Epyk

The range goes that far? I've been placing them nearly next to each other...  :-[
Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

Rock5

Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

ManWithNoName

Nice one shall download this, ive been using 6 pumps but im sure you dont need that many lol

Rock5

Are you talking about to cover a sun lamp area? I believe you do need at least 6, although I can come up with a pattern that covers all but 2 squares with 5 pumps.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

ManWithNoName

Nah whole room want it all soil if i want to change things after then i will do though im normally busy micro managing to sort out making things look pretty lol

StorymasterQ

This one is good too, but a bit short lived, I'm afraid. Tynan is axing the Fertilizer Pump for A9...

Quote from: Changelog
Dec 15
  • Cut fertilizer pump (to provide a more meaningful long-term choice between soil farming and hydroponics).
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Rock5

It's probably a good idea.

Personally I don't like using Hydroponics because I hate things dying when I loose power. As far as I'm concerned Hydroponics are only useful for fast growing plants such as potatoes and cotton. So I usually make large internal caverns and slowly convert it to soil and plant on the ground.

Axing the pumps will force me to stay outside and enclose large areas of natural soil for farming. And if I'm running out of space I'll move some potato and cotton farms underground leaving the outdoor farms for longer growing plants such as Devilstrand and trees.

I guess it just makes it more complex, which is a good thing.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

200Down

Well until he introduces another way to "move dirt" or "place dirt" I'm def NOT ok with it. I like being able to somewhat terraform the land outdoors especially. I can understand limiting indoor growing though.

Edit: This mod is great though. One of those "shoulda been" mods. As in, shoulda been like that from the start :)

Rock5

Well... I never felt like the pumps were overpowered. They use a lot of power and took ages to finish. So it took ages to terra form a medium sized cavern doing say 3 pumps at a time.  And it's a shame that we wont be able to use them to convert that small patch of rock in the middle of the growing area that has wasted sun lamp light shining on it.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

ManWithNoName

Not a fan of hydroponics myself because of the reason you said lose power everything dies on top of solar flares could mean life or death of your colony. I was messing with an ice map like a mentioned so hydro was the starting point for fast food, but i was going to move to the fertilizer pump for a more reliable food source. If he feels its OP then he could make the research longer for it, plus the time it takes to convert the dirt to soil. Besides removing it will just mean someone will no doubt mod it into the game anyway.

200Down

Quote from: Rock5 on February 11, 2015, 11:48:05 PM
Well... I never felt like the pumps were overpowered. They use a lot of power

Exactly, it's not. He just doesn't like the fact that nobody uses hydro(which likely took much more time to implement).
Honestly don't think he thought the entire "removal" of the item through very well. Be interesting to see forum's thoughts about it after A9 drops.

And another thing, "SUN LAMPS" may as well be removed then. Can't use them outdoors without power shorts anyways can you? I haven't tested this. It just made sense that they would. Could be wrong though.

Dearly hope that he doesn't have some kind of god complex. Expects his "pawns" to play exactly by these rules with no other options cuzz that's gonna end up one boring game lolz
Note: I am aware that this sounds "harsh" bet I don't have the words to state it eloquently.

Rock5

You can use the Sun Lamps outside.

1. Create a temporary room around the lamp with 4 walls. Add another wall as a support on the corner of the sun lamp area. Remove the 4 walls around the sun lamp and, viola, you have a roof over the sun lamp so no more shorts.

2. Enclose an outside growing area with walls and make it into an indoors room. Then you will need the sun lamps to keep the plants alive. This is what I do especially so I can control temperature as well.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

200Down

Quote from: Rock5 on February 12, 2015, 04:05:35 AM
You can use the Sun Lamps outside.

1. Create a temporary room around the lamp with 4 walls. Add another wall as a support on the corner of the sun lamp area. Remove the 4 walls around the sun lamp and, viola, you have a roof over the sun lamp so no more shorts.

2. Enclose an outside growing area with walls and make it into an indoors room. Then you will need the sun lamps to keep the plants alive. This is what I do especially so I can control temperature as well.

1. Didn't realize roof protection from rain was simulated if it's still "outdoors". If it is, then bravo! That's really nice.

2. Right but you're still limited by "soil" which is my real issue. Heck I don't honestly care if it's removed if there's some other way to "move" soil and have it plant-able outdoors. Maybe not filling in water areas but replacing stone or covering it is really nice which can be done currently.

Funny thing is.. I could see him remove the sun lamp too if the pump also bothers him. Basically it allows "indoor" planting in the same way you just explained. The difference is negligible between "inside on manure" and "outside on dirt" isn't it? The whole thing's just...........,
  __,_____,,,,,,,
/ __.==--"'''''''''      ::)  ...,,.....,..,.....
/#(-'
`-'           
IMO  lmfao

Rock5

Well you still need sun lamps for hydroponics. So unless he is also getting rid of hydroponics then we still need the sun lamps.

I like the idea of moving soil. Imagine picking up some soil from a location you don't need soil. Picking up the soil leaves behind stone. You carry the soil to where you need it and place it on some stone thereby making it soil and plantable.

This way you don't actually increase growable areas but just have the ability to shuffle the soil around so you can make the most of sun lamps. You would still need to use hydroponics to increase your farms beyond the available soil.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport