Colonist scumming or take what you get?

Started by jimoc, February 11, 2015, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheeseGromit

I almost always reroll, usually to avoid colonists with negative mental traits and/or the inability to do too many key tasks.

I also avoid brawler, that may change with shields. Probably not though.

Kelvorn

I will sit there and re-roll a hundred times until I get the three that can do all jobs and work really well together. Well that was until I got come prepared they I re-rolled until I got the three I liked then saved them. Now I use them and the only thing that I changed from the original was the age on one of them (way to old to be our miner).

Stannis

TheSilencedScream

I run Prepare Carefully for my first three, but for people I recruit, I pretty much avoid:
-Lots of restrictions (can't cook, can't haul, can't shoot all in one)
-Anyone who can't haul
-Assassins. Sorry, but being good at fighting (until your skills dwindle down to 10) does not make up for your lack of everything else.
-Sensitives. Just... no. I play on Randy, and I wind up getting lots of crashed ships that I have to take out.
-Brawlers. Same reason as sensitives. I also run combat realism, so brawlers wind up getting shot at 50+ squares out.

Beyond those, I'll take anything, including older people. If they have damaged limbs/cataracts and they're worth their skills, I'll trade out old parts for bionics.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Cibi

I have one colonist that I have created in prepare carefully, kind of my representation, otherwise, all random, all the time. I essentially take the worst of them out, and replace them, and keep the other too, making a point of not re-rolling.

200Down

Roll until I find a tolerable mix.

Then prep carefully to change looks and hair color to mix it up. Not a fan of females that look like males and the one "jacket" type that leaves them naked looking. Also add cloth pants if there was none, unless it's a nudist :)

RemingtonRyder

As long as they're relatively youthful, I'll roll with almost anything the randomiser of doom throws at me. Older colonists tend to go blind and shuffly when their birthday rolls around. :P

200Down

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 12, 2015, 06:47:00 AM
As long as they're relatively youthful, I'll roll with almost anything the randomiser of doom throws at me. Older colonists tend to go blind and shuffly when their birthday rolls around. :P

Same, although I rely on mods for "fixing" that later. Which way is more cheaty? Arguable I guess :) Honestly the cataract seems a bit too regular to me but eh... adds flavor.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

FridayBiology

Edb prepare carefully.
using points i start with 4 colonists normally. with extra resources and cotton cowboy hat.
though i do run with randoms if i'm after a quick fix.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Coolrah

I'll roll until I can get someone who can at least contribute to the colony. I don't mind all the bad traits cept the hyper sensitivity one and ones that ban important jobs. Good traits are a bonus but I won't reroll if a colonist has none. Like a lot of people here have said before me I feel like it ruins the randomness of the game. If you could pick I feel like my head would hurt from the shear amount of choices so letting the game randomize it for me at least until I find something that's doable seems the more logical choice at least for me.

Daemoneyes

Depends, i often use prepare carefully and create them according to the theme i have in mind
but even if i go for random i always reroll abraisive.

Kazuto Kirigaya

Quote from: Sartain on February 11, 2015, 12:19:06 PM
I re-roll them a bit until I have something that looks acceptable but I'm not too fussy about age or traits, just mostly trying to avoid any particularly annoying banned jobs.

I'm exactly the same.
I am highly unstable.

BetaSpectre

Fast movement, and fast shot is usually high on my list.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

w00d

same as above i use prepare carefully or reroll. There is no point in playing when all 3 of your colonist end up as No hauling or no violence etc. Hell one time i ended with 3 pacifist who refused manual labour...