[MOD](Alpha 9) Horrors - Update 2

Started by Viceroy, February 11, 2015, 12:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drakulux

Hmmm, maybe its time I create my first mod for rimworld....I mean I have modded skyrim before.....

Justin C

Quote from: drakulux on February 11, 2015, 07:01:46 PM
For the cocooning you could look at the zombie apocalypse mod and see how he did it,basically I think it would be something like, if pawn killed by "X" then do "Y"(delete pawn and replace with first graphic of cocoon then, monster after "Z" mins?)
There are plenty of easy ways to do it. I have a MapCondition that loops through the corpses every second or so to handle reanimation of bitten corpses. Corpses hold onto the original Pawn, and I just keep the bitten flag inside my custom BiteablePawn class, which I replace the original Pawn class wtih. In your case you can just spawn a cocoon at the position of the corpse, and then destroy the corpse.

You could also make the worker creatures seek out corpses and actually go up to them and turn them into cocoons. That will be a bit more complicated, but it will also probably look cooler in the game with a swarm of creatures going from corpse to corpse, cocooning them.

Viceroy

So much gold in this thread, Drakulux, genius ideas no doubt. Hard to implement as well, but really good ideas that I'd be happy to take a look at doing at some point.

And Justin C thanks for giving me some pointers on the matter. I'd definitely be interested in getting some form of caccooning going, and then pursuing more advanced things like nesting behaviour and what-what.

In the meantime I think I better start getting familiarised with .dll modding. Just seems so daunting at first hahaha. Also working on spitters.

And JuliaEllie: Thank you so much for the assistance. This is why the Imperium of Man will always lay waste to filthy xeno scum.
Dog goes moo!

Zandor

ya please love your mods, and love the fact that its now in epyk pack. Please keep it up.

Viceroy

Okay guys and gals, a heads up:

I have completed sprites and scripting of the new Spitter. I have opted for something slow and lumbering to accompany the Terror Worms. At present the Spitters have two attacks, spitting silica teeth for maximum pain (incapping victims in preparation of caccooning in the future.). Or spewing forth a torrent of burning goo .

More weapons will come since these are kinda 'overlord-y' in comparison to TerrorWorms and Viscerals. Viscerals are taking more of a front-line position from now on in preparation of possibly at some point making the TerrorWorms caccoon and impregnate victims instead of attacking. Also would like to make the worms just mow down vegetation and animals alike. Also spreading webs and possbily some "Black Mass" type plants.

Though I am getting a little ahead of myself, still those are my plans and I hope to fulfill them.
Dog goes moo!

skullywag

Once A9 is out and ive updated my purple ivy mod, I feel youre gonna need to check it out, it has a lot of stuff that I reckon youll wanna look at. (For those that care yes this means the mod is coming back...some annoyances in A8 stopped me releasing.)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Viceroy

That is so cool skullywag. I'd definitely take a look at it and... freedomise... some of its techniques :p

Always was a fan of that mod. However this is a tad different, your a competing ecosystem essentially and I am a nesting organism. Like PurpleIvy is the Tyranids and Horrors are the Xenomorph. Or at least that is kinda how I see it in my head. I wouldn't want this to turn into some form of competition or making our mods mutually exclusive since your mod gave me quite a bit of inspiration.

Nevertheless I would be cheesing myself if I could take a look at how you do some of those things. After all, how can one ever have enough horrible ways to die? Imagine what a colony would be like if It was besieged by purpleIvy and also has a nest of horrors living there. It would be a totally alien experience I bet.
Dog goes moo!

skullywag

Theres no competition, the more the merrier is what I say, some of the spawning from eggsacs (cocoons) and stuff like that might be of interest.....wait did I ever release the version with eggsacs, plant mortars and plant turrets??? cant even remember.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Meeshter Man

Something that'd make this even more scary is to add rooms in mountains that contain a bunch of these things. Or you could make it so that any tunnel that stretches to the edge of the map allows them to enter into the mines/base.

Viceroy

@skully: I don't think the eggsacs and mortars were ever publicly available. And yes indeed the more the merrier. That is why I started modding. Because there are so many mods you can play the game any way you like.

@Meeshter Man: Caves of Horrors would be cool. I'll pop it on the 'look-into-list'.

I'll test the next version myself for a day or three and make sure there is no funk. Then I'll update the download here.
Dog goes moo!

Delete_Repeat

you should make them pre generated into the world, in hollowed out areas in mountains?

Viceroy

I'll definitely look into that at some point.
Dog goes moo!

Halinder

One issue I found was that upon world generation I got multiple infected colonies. This meant that whenever two sets of Horrors from different infected colonies showed up, they would begin stabbifying one another and completely ignoring the colony.

ManWithNoName

Just had them appear in my game, they appeared with a scyther who later killed half of them for me as they went ona  rampage from the psychic drome or whatever its called. Anyway my guys are eating well tonight haha

popster99

i hope that they don't attack when its dark because i have the darkness mod installed so its gonna be scary