[A11] Darkness

Started by Viceroy, February 11, 2015, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viceroy

Hmmm how do you mean though? The day light levels are that of vanilla.

Also not really sure I understand, do you mean making it so that it will remain perfectly dark inside the caves whereas it will go through night and day out side like expected?

I am not really sure if I could make that work. I'll do some tweaks where I can though and see if I can remedy the situation somehow.
Dog goes moo!

ManWithNoName

Yeh he means pitch black in the mountains unless you have a light source from what im getting.

Really enjoying this mod thanks for making it, does make night time a little more challenging specially when you drop in and go "wth are the guns!!?!" lol would be awesome if darkness made them slower and aimed less accurate but i understand this would be a major challenge at the moment.

spatula

one of my favourite mods, really adds an atmosphere to the game- like how temperatures added the need for a whole cool-room storage and heaters for winter, making the game all about preparing for the winter... this one makes each day something you have to prepare towards because you can't see. Love it.

Rock5

People keep saying it would be good if the darkness reduces accuracy but doesn't the vanilla game do that already? I usually put my turrets and defenders in darkness for just that reason.

As for moving slower, I think, with it being pitch black, it's already going to make players move their colonists more carefully and maybe missing their target and have to backtrack. Having a percentage slow down would be a good idea in the vanilla game because the player can see perfectly well but with this mod the player can't see so simulated slow down is not necessary. Well that's what I think anyway.

As to it being dark in caves during the day, maybe you can base the darkness on the game light levels instead of time of day. So where it's "Dark" you make it dark. Might even work in an eclipse as the light levels do change. Maybe you can also adjust the light levels of "Lit" and "Brightly Lit" so the later is brighter than the former. The problem with this is it will go dark suddenly . How does it work now? I assume it darkens gradually. When does it become totally dark?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Viceroy

I am planning to make darkness have a greater effect on Pawns, making them slower (simulating feeling your way carefully/stumbling around) and affect weapon accuracy to a much greater degree. Anyone who has ever had to shoot at something in the dark will know that it has a drastic effect on your abilities.

Down the line I might add things like NVG's that can eliminate or reduce the penalties of night fighting further. At the moment though I am a little busy with Horrors. After a stint of development on that I'll pay this mod love again.

Thank you all for your great ideas and input. I appreciate all of it greatly. Modding would not be the same without the people who enjoy the fruits of our labour. So thank you all yet again.
Dog goes moo!

MrWashingToad

Quote from: Viceroy on February 17, 2015, 11:01:03 AM
I am planning to make darkness have a greater effect on Pawns, making them slower (simulating feeling your way carefully/stumbling around) and affect weapon accuracy to a much greater degree. Anyone who has ever had to shoot at something in the dark will know that it has a drastic effect on your abilities.

Down the line I might add things like NVG's that can eliminate or reduce the penalties of night fighting further. At the moment though I am a little busy with Horrors. After a stint of development on that I'll pay this mod love again.

Thank you all for your great ideas and input. I appreciate all of it greatly. Modding would not be the same without the people who enjoy the fruits of our labour. So thank you all yet again.

For the NVG's - check the aparello mod stuff - you could make it craftable like that where you can "invent" stuff like the science goggles with plans and such and a base "sunglasses" or something like that.
Kickstarter Influencer tier backer. Last Name in Game: Sewell
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdrI_JSqof-Zk1j9-kBKXjQ
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/MrWashingToad
Twitter: @MrWashingToad

Rock5

Quote from: Viceroy on February 17, 2015, 11:01:03 AMand affect weapon accuracy to a much greater degree. Anyone who has ever had to shoot at something in the dark will know that it has a drastic effect on your abilities.
I can just see it. Raiders and defenders firing blindly into the dark never hitting anything. After a few hours of this your colonist quietly sneak off and catch some z's. Maybe leaving a couple of defenders to keep firing so the raiders don't realize most of the colonists have gone to sleep. Then, in the morning, when the raider are exhausted but can finally see where they are shooting, the rested colonists come charging out, guns blazing, and make short work of the sleep deprived raiders.  ;D
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

XxMSWShadowxX

I love the idea of this mod, but when playing it during night time my frames drop insanely with this mod activated i have no idea why, my system can handle RimWorld with ease but this mod literally shoots it down into 5/10FPS.
Virtus, honor, victoria, qualis fides magnatorum effodit.

MrWashingToad

Quote from: Rock5 on February 17, 2015, 12:03:19 PM
Quote from: Viceroy on February 17, 2015, 11:01:03 AMand affect weapon accuracy to a much greater degree. Anyone who has ever had to shoot at something in the dark will know that it has a drastic effect on your abilities.
I can just see it. Raiders and defenders firing blindly into the dark never hitting anything. After a few hours of this your colonist quietly sneak off and catch some z's. Maybe leaving a couple of defenders to keep firing so the raiders don't realize most of the colonists have gone to sleep. Then, in the morning, when the raider are exhausted but can finally see where they are shooting, the rested colonists come charging out, guns blazing, and make short work of the sleep deprived raiders.  ;D

Or couple this with the alert mod - the one w/ loudspeakers for colonists - change the alert type to enemy and use psych-warfare so they can't sleep outside.
Kickstarter Influencer tier backer. Last Name in Game: Sewell
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdrI_JSqof-Zk1j9-kBKXjQ
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/MrWashingToad
Twitter: @MrWashingToad

Viceroy

Quote from: XxMSWShadowxX on February 17, 2015, 12:09:12 PM
I love the idea of this mod, but when playing it during night time my frames drop insanely with this mod activated i have no idea why, my system can handle RimWorld with ease but this mod literally shoots it down into 5/10FPS.

That is something new. Haven't had any slowdowns whatsoever myself. Also the mod is incredibly minimalistic, it is literally just overwriting the weather defs to have different light levest than vanilla. Absolutely nothing besides that.

Are you running any other mods? Did you restart Rimworld after activating the mod?
Dog goes moo!

DnoDaBeast

This just made my day love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

litenthadark

Are you updating the mod for Alpha 9? :D

akiceabear

I'm a big fan of the spirit of this mod, although I feel it probably still needs some balancing.

• *Darkness lasts a bit too long - would be great if there were several phases between full daylight and full night light, or if already present, that the twilight phases are a bit longer.

*Agree with others that default darkness in mountains (24/7) would be great.

*Does the amount of daylight change with map location and season? E.g. arctic biomes should see very long nights in the winter and very long days in the summer - to the point where polar day/night might be sustained for weeks/months (as in reality). This could lead to some interesting mood buffs/negs down the line!

Viceroy

@akiceabear:
Darkness is based off of the vanilla day-night cycle, it uses those times and I can not add more to the mod without some *.dll work that I am not sure I could do. So nope I can't adjust the phases of the day beyond those that exist already.

24/7 darkness in mountains I'll look into achieving.

Daylight hours are not changed by location as far as I know (in vanilla) and the mid certainly does not do that at the moment either. If tynan does adjust the day-night cycle according to your coordinates in the world, then I would hazard a guess that this mod would apply to those times without editing. Since the mod adjusts the light levels and not the triggering mechanism for what lights activate when, so as long as any future change remains true to the light levels from the weather defs, we should be good.

Also having day/night adjust due to coordinate would be awesome, someone should suggest that on the suggestions alcove.
Dog goes moo!

Viceroy

Darkness is coming!
Update 1 for Alpha 9!

Changes:
* Eclipses are currently disabled by default, inside incidentdefs there are instructions to reactivate them if you so choose.
* Alpha 9 compatibility ensured.
* Added a banner to the mod menu for it.

Find the download on the first page!
Dog goes moo!