[A11] Darkness

Started by Viceroy, February 11, 2015, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Der Failer

Quote from: Viceroy on February 20, 2015, 09:23:42 AM
* Alpha 9 compatibility ensured.
Well the game is complaining to me that:
"XML error: <windIntensity>0.5</windIntensity> doesn't correspond to any field in type WeatherDef."
it now seems to be <windSpeedFactor>
also:
"Could not find a type named WeatherEvent_Lightning"
which is now "WeatherEvent_LightningFlash"
and:
"Could not find a type named WeatherEvent_LightningFlashStrike"
which is now "WeatherEvent_LightningStrike"

Viceroy

Fixed that, sorry about it. Just redownload. Was a blunder on my side, I accidentally uploaded the wrong one lol.
Dog goes moo!

Der Failer

Quote from: Viceroy on February 20, 2015, 09:50:54 AM
Fixed that, sorry about it. Just redownload.
Nice man, I really enjoy play with this mod. :)

Viceroy

Dog goes moo!

WarlordToby

What if you would make it more realistic?
For example, during night time, players get no warnings of raiders. But there is a message that says something like "Your colonists saw lights on the sky land.", making players think if it is some pods crashlanding with equipment, a survivor or the raiders. And enemies coming on land wouldn't alert.

SC_Reaper

Quote from: Viceroy on February 17, 2015, 11:01:03 AM
I am planning to make darkness have a greater effect on Pawns, making them slower (simulating feeling your way carefully/stumbling around) and affect weapon accuracy to a much greater degree. Anyone who has ever had to shoot at something in the dark will know that it has a drastic effect on your abilities.

Down the line I might add things like NVG's that can eliminate or reduce the penalties of night fighting further. At the moment though I am a little busy with Horrors. After a stint of development on that I'll pay this mod love again.

Thank you all for your great ideas and input. I appreciate all of it greatly. Modding would not be the same without the people who enjoy the fruits of our labour. So thank you all yet again.
Eh, made some changes that'll do what ya want. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ws7ggsao27a3hr9/Weathers.xml?dl=0 If some of the values are to high or low, you just go to " <accuracyMultiplier>YourNumber</accuracyMultiplier>   <moveSpeedMultiplier>YourNumber</moveSpeedMultiplier>" and change the numbers.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

SC_Reaper

Hey, what would you say if i made a version of my mod that is the "Darkness Version". I would do so that it works with your mod. It would be a lot darker. :D (And of course provide a link so people know that it's meant to be played together with your mod.;))

The point is that we both use the same method to change these things, so for the mods to make sense together - have the same amount of light - i would need to make another version.

Viceroy

Sure dude, I don't mind collaborating on it, I wouldn't even be against merging into a weather immersion mod.

Now if only we can discover where the accuracy multiplier for darkness alone is. As for the levels of accuracy, those are affected by weather, and you are the weatherman here :p

And thanks so much for the offer too, this community rocks, you rock dude! I'll be tweaking this mod some over the weekend, to make twilight times more reddish/purplish.

Also I was reading through your mod earlier (also thinking of collaborating somehow) and saw you were in need of a sandstorm texture. So I created a basic draft for one. I'm not sure what dimensions it should be or what direction exactly it would pan into, so take it for what it is (a rough draft) and maybe we/you can work with it from there. At the very least it ought to tile without seams. *ought to*

Also, the transparency is not really visible here.

Dog goes moo!

Dragoon

Quote from: WarlordToby on February 20, 2015, 12:39:30 PM
What if you would make it more realistic?
For example, during night time, players get no warnings of raiders. But there is a message that says something like "Your colonists saw lights on the sky land.", making players think if it is some pods crashlanding with equipment, a survivor or the raiders. And enemies coming on land wouldn't alert.

Why would that only happen at night!?  When they come in randomly people are not usually near the spot where they come in?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Viceroy

I'm not sure about suppressing alerts like that. It might make for some bad surprises. Since there aren't any proximity sensor alarms or stuff you can use to detect intruders like a proper bond villai... I mean mayor.

It could be a good premise on its own for a mod, to make alerts and detection something that you actually have to manage yourself. I personally just have a bit much on my hands at the mo' so I can't dive into that.
Dog goes moo!

Dragoon

Quote from: Viceroy on February 20, 2015, 06:22:50 PM
I'm not sure about suppressing alerts like that. It might make for some bad surprises. Since there aren't any proximity sensor alarms or stuff you can use to detect intruders like a proper bond villai... I mean mayor.

It could be a good premise on its own for a mod, to make alerts and detection something that you actually have to manage yourself. I personally just have a bit much on my hands at the mo' so I can't dive into that.

If you do at any point make something like that what would you call the mod?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Viceroy

Off-Green Alert. Muhahahahaha!
Dog goes moo!

SC_Reaper

Quote from: Viceroy on February 20, 2015, 06:06:07 PM
Sure dude, I don't mind collaborating on it, I wouldn't even be against merging into a weather immersion mod.

Now if only we can discover where the accuracy multiplier for darkness alone is. As for the levels of accuracy, those are affected by weather, and you are the weatherman here :p

And thanks so much for the offer too, this community rocks, you rock dude! I'll be tweaking this mod some over the weekend, to make twilight times more reddish/purplish.

Also I was reading through your mod earlier (also thinking of collaborating somehow) and saw you were in need of a sandstorm texture. So I created a basic draft for one. I'm not sure what dimensions it should be or what direction exactly it would pan into, so take it for what it is (a rough draft) and maybe we/you can work with it from there. At the very least it ought to tile without seams. *ought to*
A weather immersion mod... now that sounds awesome!  :D

And um.. i don't really know if there's an accuracy multiplier for darkness alone. But we could try making something that would either check the light levels and then use another set of "Weathers" to the different levels of darkness; or it would simply add to multiplier in the different levels of darkness. But for me to do any of that, i need a lot more knowledge about c++. ???

About the overlay. I haven't been able to find out how the game uses the overlay yet, or where it needs to be saved to. At the moment i'm trying to learn a bit more about c++.

And yeah, it would probaly look quite interesting if the the twillight times were more reddish/purple. (Or maybe a bit orange?)

Btw the overlay you made there looks nice.  :)

Viceroy

Cool, so how are we gonna do the compatibility fix, should I download your mod and tweak the light levels? Or are you gonna copy them from here?

And yeah I also gotta get up to scratch on my C# editing. We may yet make some pretty awesome stuff. So if you wanna roll our mods into one just let me know how we're gonna go about it.

Busy tweaking the colour values atm. Kinda takes a while to test every small tweak since I gotta let a whole day pass so that I can see the whole cycle. Been putting it off for a while, but no time like the present.
Dog goes moo!

SC_Reaper

Quote from: Viceroy on February 21, 2015, 03:18:12 PM
Cool, so how are we gonna do the compatibility fix, should I download your mod and tweak the light levels? Or are you gonna copy them from here?

And yeah I also gotta get up to scratch on my C# editing. We may yet make some pretty awesome stuff. So if you wanna roll our mods into one just let me know how we're gonna go about it.

Busy tweaking the colour values atm. Kinda takes a while to test every small tweak since I gotta let a whole day pass so that I can see the whole cycle. Been putting it off for a while, but no time like the present.
Yeah, i'll just copy them now and then put them up on my page. I guess you have been getting a pm too from the guy that wants to make the rim+ modpack? I told him that i'll put up a version of my mod that is "compatible" with your darkness, because he wanted both in it.

And yeah, rolling them together would be kinda cool. I'm just planning on making a weather which i've been having laying around, before i'm going to do much else. I've been "Off duty" in the last few weeks, but i guess i'm back now. But it would be quite interesting if we at some point end up in a collaborating.

And btw, just waiting to see what results you end up with those colours. :D