[A11] Darkness

Started by Viceroy, February 11, 2015, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viceroy

It's getting there, just not quite right yet.
Dog goes moo!

Pathing

This mod is so simple! but it adds so much intense so much feels.
I admire you for such a brilliant mod!  :)
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

MrWashingToad

So hyped to see what you guys working together can come up with on weather immersion and darkness mods. Will really open up the way for some great play.
Kickstarter Influencer tier backer. Last Name in Game: Sewell
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdrI_JSqof-Zk1j9-kBKXjQ
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/MrWashingToad
Twitter: @MrWashingToad

Dr. Z

I really like this mod but I recognized that in rainy nights you literally can't see anything which is both unpleasant when you want to organize things at night and obstructive if you have to fight. Please alter this a bit so it's getting less extreme.

Added a few screenshots.

Prasie the Squirrel!

Kolljak

Small problem with lighting while a person holds "wood log" as melee item. the log will glow at its MAX darkness level which is well above the NEW darkness level.

PS eclipses are weird.

akiceabear

QuoteI really like this mod but I recognized that in rainy nights you literally can't see anything which is both unpleasant when you want to organize things at night and obstructive if you have to fight. Please alter this a bit so it's getting less extreme.

I believe this is as intended, and like it that way. I suggest adding a mod with improved lighting options (indoor and outdoor) to address your two concerns.

Rock5

Maybe Viceroy could ad a few basic extra lights so users don't have to download an extra mod.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

akiceabear

Quote from: Rock5 on February 28, 2015, 02:00:48 AM
Maybe Viceroy could ad a few basic extra lights so users don't have to download an extra mod.

I agree, as the ones available aren't really balanced for use with this mod. Specifically, it would be great to have a starting outdoor lamp with low radius, and in addition to the advanced ones offered in other mods.

My personal favorites are:
Floor Lights
Advanced Lamps

Igabod

Quote from: akiceabear on February 28, 2015, 02:13:32 AM
Quote from: Rock5 on February 28, 2015, 02:00:48 AM

I agree, as the ones available aren't really balanced for use with this mod. Specifically, it would be great to have a starting outdoor lamp with low radius, and in addition to the advanced ones offered in other mods.

My personal favorites are:
Floor Lights
Advanced Lamps

I wasn't aware there was any need for starting level outdoor lighting in alpha 9 since the camp fire fits that description. But I can always add that in easily enough. The reason I didn't have low level outdoor lighting in previous alphas is because they were already covered in a couple other mods and nobody requested them. Give me a day or so and I'll come up with something. I can make a lamp that requires no research and lights up 1 tile less than a vanilla lamp and uses slightly more electricity than the advanced lamps but slightly less than the vanilla lamps. And it will be place-able outside. If you have any other suggestions for lamps please let me know.

akiceabear

Thanks Igabod!

I use the campfire normally right when landing, but tend to skip it once I have a bigger base. Often there is a gap between when that happens and when I get outdoor lighting researched, so it'll be great to have a balanced stopgap in the interim!

Also, does your mod currently use the "Lamps" menu like floor lighting? I can't remember as I haven't played on it since A9 (but will in my next game). Would be great if the two were consistent at least in that respect.

akiceabear

Separately: any chance (for any mod makers) to make a hand-held torch? Would require little wood, be equipped and generate light, but degrade very quickly - within a day or so.

Igabod

Quote from: akiceabear on February 28, 2015, 02:39:32 AM
Thanks Igabod!

I use the campfire normally right when landing, but tend to skip it once I have a bigger base. Often there is a gap between when that happens and when I get outdoor lighting researched, so it'll be great to have a balanced stopgap in the interim!

Also, does your mod currently use the "Lamps" menu like floor lighting? I can't remember as I haven't played on it since A9 (but will in my next game). Would be great if the two were consistent at least in that respect.

Just finished it. The texture isn't anything fancy. But I made it a porch light that looks better when placed against a wall. I went with a yellow-ish light color because my porch light happens to be a bug light which is yellow. As for the lamps tab in the architect menu, I did not go that route. I went the same route as the vanilla lamps and put them under furniture. I'd rather be compatible with vanilla than create a whole new tab. If vanilla lamps are in furniture then my modded lamps should be too is the way I look at it. Anyway, here is a preview pic of it to look at while I upload the mod and update the thread.

akiceabear

Thanks again Igabod! Totally understand your desire to stay vanilla friendly - in general I vastly prefer such mods, too.

Rock5

The out door light should have the benefit of not shorting but a have a disadvantage that balances that, such as less range or more power. That way users will only use it outside and not everywhere. If I read your post correctly you intend to have less range and less power. That makes it similar to vanilla. I suggest less range and same power or same range and more power. Or maybe make it the same as vanilla but cost more to make.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Viceroy

Thanks for all the input and discussion guys! You're the best!
Sorry I have been a little distant lately. I am immersed in the code.

I will make a version that does not have completely black nights. I'll see if I can get around to it later today and also push the dawn/dusk colour changes in.

As for the outdoor lights. I'd love to but that's Igabod's realm. He is the warrior of light. I am but the servant of darkness. :p
in other news:
Working off-of the darkness as my realm I am really tinkering away at the Horrors mod. To make it work better in conjunction with the added ambience. Progress is plentiful. So hopefully soonish I'll have something awesome for you dudes and dudettes.
Dog goes moo!