[A11] Darkness

Started by Viceroy, February 11, 2015, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Shoes

I've noticed that solar generators are pulling over 500-600 watts when Darkness has the player's view essentially pitch black (in clear conditions,) i.e., the game's idea of when it's dark and what Darkness is establishing appear slightly offset. Since there doesn't seem to any time variables or code in Darkness, I'm guessing the only hope for improving that state would be a tweaking of the NightEdge and/or Dusk values?

Viceroy

Yeah the solars don't really use 'light' as much as they use an estimated value of light based on the time of the day/night cycle. I'd have to program like a custom solar generator class and have the mod overwrite the vanilla solars that way in order to tweak it in any way.

I might do it if I get the time. Just can't believe how busy I am lately. See you around dude/ette/s. And thanks Famous Shoes for pointing that out. I didn't really notice that; but it'll probably drive me nuts going forward :p
Dog goes moo!

Dr. Z

Like the SBO version, didn't have a rainy night yet but it looks good. The only thing that's bothering me is that unlit rooms are brighter at day then at night because the mod alters the overall light level instead of the actuall light and darkness calcuation in the game. I can imagine that that would be a hell of a job but if you could do that it would be much more intense.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Remorium

Sorry to be the person asking this, but do you have an estimated time of when this mod will be updated to Alpha 10? Because this is one of my favorite ambient mods I've seen yet.

Ninefinger

Quote from: Remorium on April 23, 2015, 01:52:21 AM
Sorry to be the person asking this, but do you have an estimated time of when this mod will be updated to Alpha 10? Because this is one of my favorite ambient mods I've seen yet.

it already works for alpha 10! :D

rexx1888

yeah this mod just changes a bunch of defs, even if by some chance it stops working, itll take you two seconds to fix it :D

Kolljak

Is there anything you can do about Bright Eclipses. the eclipses in 20% brighter then the night.

Latta

Quote from: Kolljak on April 25, 2015, 10:13:11 AM
Is there anything you can do about Bright Eclipses. the eclipses in 20% brighter then the night.

Eclipse brightness is hardcoded. To make it worse it's not in incident but in mapcondition.

Ninefinger

Quote from: Latta on April 25, 2015, 10:45:33 AM

Eclipse brightness is hardcoded. To make it worse it's not in incident but in mapcondition.

on alpha 9 i simply made it so that the eclipse was turned off and added a new incident called eclipse and made it be all dark during day and night but the problem is that solar panels still work during the day even if its dark and there is was no pop up message saying "eclipse".

Latta

Please ignore my last comment; brightness is hardcoded in MapConditionManager, not MapCondition itself, which is even worse.

Quote from: Ninefinger on April 25, 2015, 12:25:48 PM

on alpha 9 i simply made it so that the eclipse was turned off and added a new incident called eclipse and made it be all dark during day and night but the problem is that solar panels still work during the day even if its dark and there is was no pop up message saying "eclipse".

You should follow vanilla eclipse style. Not just a Incident but a MapCondition, and register the condition in TryExecute of the IncidentWorker for eclipse. Pop-up message belongs to MapCondition.

Maybe overriding entire eclipse will work, even with solar power? But I'm not sure whether MapConditionManager will choose overriden MapCondition instead of vanilla one.

Ninefinger

Quote from: Latta on April 25, 2015, 12:52:03 PM
Please ignore my last comment; brightness is hardcoded in MapConditionManager, not MapCondition itself, which is even worse.

Quote from: Ninefinger on April 25, 2015, 12:25:48 PM

You should follow vanilla eclipse style. Not just a Incident but a MapCondition, and register the condition in TryExecute of the IncidentWorker for eclipse. Pop-up message belongs to MapCondition.

Maybe overriding entire eclipse will work, even with solar power? But I'm not sure whether MapConditionManager will choose overriden MapCondition instead of vanilla one.
i have a feeling this might get into dll territory lol the extent of my modding capabilities is xml loool :D but i will look into what you suggested as purely xml. thanks.

Kolljak

Same here. Q.Q and im only just learning it by doing self made compatability stuff. i might start posting Compatability versions of peoples favorite mods to lighten the load on other modders but most of it is learning for Project Eons when the game is out of Alpha.

LittleGreenStone

Any words on an A10 update? Will it bend? ^^

Ninefinger

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on April 29, 2015, 01:02:37 AM
Any words on an A10 update? Will it bend? ^^

i have modified darkness to work with alpha 10 in my ultimate overhaul modpack.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Ninefinger on April 29, 2015, 01:14:28 AM
i have modified darkness to work with alpha 10 in my ultimate overhaul modpack.

If it is not too much of a burden for you, can you share how you've done it plz?

EDIT   :
P.S. 2 : After thinking a bit (like 3 secondes later ...  :-X ) i guess i can dl your pack and only take the "Darkness" directory ...

Thx anyway. And that goes to all the modding community   o7