Raiders need to steal :)

Started by Kelvorn, February 11, 2015, 06:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvorn

I think it would be fun if Raiders would steal items when they attack. I usually set my first trade beacon outside my kill room so if they pod drop they have to go into the kill room of death. My second beacon sits inside my base and that's the one I load up with sell able goods and all my silver sits outside my base because that where the trades deliver my stuff.

So today I was being raided and watch a whole slew of fellows walk right past 8K silver to try and kill my 8 guys. This got me thinking about how much more it would hurt if they instead turned around and hauled of stacks of my silver and B-Lined it to the edge of the map.

Now I would understand Creatures, Aliens, or monsters would maybe have different interests but Some Raiders should want monetary riches > death. I think this would be a fun turn around that would require a change in the mindset of just leaving riches laying unguarded.

Thoughts?

RickyMartini

I'd rather see a similar option for this:

When the raiders sometimes retreat and take every incapacitated body they find then Tynan should enable the fleeing raiders to also take away goods rather than just bodies.

Making them steal as an offensive move would be more difficult.

TheNewTeddy

I'd like them to take things, however it's achieved.
sig

muffins

I would love to see this in the game, maybe have whole raids and/or single thieves both go for silver or higher value items. We would suddenly have to think about defending and protecting our goods instead of just dumping the trading beacon outside the base for security reasons.

EscapeZeppelin

I've always thought that it makes more sense for raiders to sometimes steal X amount of goods and then leave than to just trash your base and kill people. It would give you the option of leaving goods out for them to take as tribute rather than fighting to the death every time. It would be nice if balanced so that the amount to steal was slightly more than you could afford, forcing you to make the choice between fighting and going hungry.

Snownova

I think this should go under the suggestions forum, but that being said,

I agree that it would be cool if raiders would come after your silver supply. In fact, silver should be treated more as a currency and less as a trade good. For example silver should always count towards your currency during trade even if it is not in the trade beacon zone. (It should still be in a storage zone of course).

This way players would be motivated to keep their silver in the safest place possible and raiders could target it.

Sartain

It could (and should IMO) be a variation on raids. Basically, when the Storyteller spawns a raid event it could pick from a number of reasons, like Abduction want to steal your colonists), Rescue (want to rescuetheir trapped/recruited faction members), Revenge (want to hurt you for killing their dudes/chopping them into sell-able pieces/selling them as slaves), Sabotage (want to break your stuff) and Raiding (want to steal your stuff).

litlbear

they should rescue fallen allies,  why only take ours?
yes

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: litlbear on February 12, 2015, 05:53:37 PM

This. Wow, I never even thought about it (no sarcasm), but it'd make sense that they try (sometimes, at least) to save their own. It'd probably be a lot of extra effort, but it'd also be interesting to see their injured returned with peg legs/bionics/missing limbs/scars, etc depending on their previous injuries.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Novellum

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on February 12, 2015, 11:58:19 PM
Quote from: litlbear on February 12, 2015, 05:53:37 PM

This. Wow, I never even thought about it (no sarcasm), but it'd make sense that they try (sometimes, at least) to save their own. It'd probably be a lot of extra effort, but it'd also be interesting to see their injured returned with peg legs/bionics/missing limbs/scars, etc depending on their previous injuries.
Can even go the extra step and couple this with the tales system, so it says like "Blue lost her leg in the battle of December 12th, Year 1"

muffins

What if the various levels of raiders (low-tier peasants to high-tier mercs) will be satisfied with different levels of loot before they leave the map with their ill-gotten gains? Say a club-armed tribal or a shiv-armed peon would be happy with low-tier guns, cloth stacks, reasonable quality melee weapons etc, but the high tier raiders will be satisfied with nothing less than a stack of silver, devilstrand cloth, gold or an item of masterwork quality or higher?

You could have different mixes of enemies to give varying combat experiences.

BetaSpectre

Raiders ought to steal...but only after they've breached your defenses. And stopped facing resistance. Or if the resistance is minor compared to the Raiding force.

IMO say you have a mountain base with a huge wall around it. The raiders will want to go into the walled area but not attack the mountain base.

Once passed the wall they'll loot and burn everything they can and leave ignoring your kill box mountain.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO