Security Camera and Militia

Started by MrDemonic, November 11, 2013, 03:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDemonic

While I have seen the mention and/or discussion of cameras/security systems in RimWorld. I wanted to give my suggestion/take on the matter.

What do people think of the idea of being able to place various security systems around your colony? I'll focus on camera for now.

Security Room/Console:
Firstly you have a security desk/room. This can be as simple as the comms console or you can have a whole room dedicated to monitor different security assets of your colony (Cameras, motion sensors, lasers ect). You will need to have at least one colonist in the room in order to get alerts of any intrusions so the colonist can alert the Militia (more on them later). This could maybe add the role of Security/Security Officer so you can have colonists automatically monitor the security systems without having to manually tell them each time.

Militia:
Instead of having to manually draft colonists to fight raiders. You can assign them to be part of the Militia. This will make them become automatically become drafted and ready to fight whenever they are alerted to a threat. They will automatically go over to an area that you have marked to which you can position them in a more tactical manner yourself once they have arrived. This marked area can be done using a Zone similar to how Home Zone works. Once the raiders have fled or been defeated then they will become un-drafted.
I suggested this because what I do (and possibly many others as well do) is when raiders come to attack me I simply select everyone and draft them because most of the time all my colonists can fight. But I can see this becoming a problem when larger colonies who have colonists who cannot fight have to defend against an attack. They will forget that one or two of their colonists cannot fight and see them just taking hits while not firing back.

Security Cameras:
You can place security cameras anywhere in the world as long as it has a power conduit connecting it to a power source. The camera turn and survey a certain area with a certain field of view (Maybe a research topic can be upgraded cameras with longer/wider fields of view.). If the security camera spots a raider(s) in it's field of view, it will alert the security room/console and whoever is monitoring at the time can alert the Militia to become battle ready. If there is no one at the console at the time of an alert from the camera. There will be a time-delay to when the system will automatically tell the militia colonists to become battle ready (This could allow you to build a PA system, so you can place speakers on the walls of the colony so you can always have someone within earshot of the alert.
This can be done with a lot of other security assets as well. Motion sensors that detect motion within a certain circular area or general area. Lasers that trip an alarm when a raider walks over them. Breaking down a door that has a security panel on it triggers an alarm.

It will make defending your colony a lot more tactical and fun. Having to think about how you can make your colony secure, where systems should go? Where should the Militia go if the alarm sounds?

Opinions or comments? This is just something thought of while coming home from work so it may not be the most thought through of ideas.

maxthebeast11

There isn't fog of war in the game currently. It has been suggested.

MrDemonic

Quote from: maxthebeast11 on November 11, 2013, 04:27:17 PM

I wasn't suggesting a FOW. This suggestion is about security systems in general. I was detailing how the cameras could work as an example. To be honest, the security systems aspect could work even without a FOW.

maxthebeast11

Quote from: MrDemonic on November 11, 2013, 06:34:47 PM
Quote from: maxthebeast11 on November 11, 2013, 04:27:17 PM

I wasn't suggesting a FOW. This suggestion is about security systems in general. I was detailing how the cameras could work as an example. To be honest, the security systems aspect could work even without a FOW.

yes, albeit entirely unnecessary or even practical.

MrDemonic

Care to elaborate on how it is unnecessary or not practical? Instead of just giving a simple "there's no point to it." answer.

nomadseifer

Without fog of war, there is no need for security cameras.  The game already tells you when raiders arrive and when they are going to attack, so there is nothing to be 'alerted' to.  Mass-drafting is a good idea and has been discussed many times.  I think some form of it will definitely be implemented. 
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW