When trade window has scroll bar, freeze silver receiving/sending at top

Started by RemingtonRyder, February 13, 2015, 01:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Per the subject line, if you have a trade window open with lots of items, it isn't always possible to see the amount of silver you're getting or paying for the trade.

Very minor issue, since you can scroll back up, but thought I would mention it anyway.

200Down

Never was too crazy about the window in general to be honest. Just can't put my finger on the what it is that bugs me. Maybe that and the fact that you can't put amounts directly in with the numpad?

RickyMartini

loc978

_alphaBeta_

I was about to report the same thing. The trade list is getting longer and longer. Silver, the universal currency, should always be visible on the screen. As mentioned, I'd suggest just freezing the top line of the list.

skullywag

Ive never thought of silver as currency in the latest Alpha. You mine it like gold and steel, in my head its just another commodity to sell. What was the last game you could build stuff out of money....I think this is Tynans thinking aswell. Early alphas before stuff, sure it was money but thats changed its now just another material. (Granted its kept its position of always at the top, and traders use it) I think in future we may see this become pure commodity based trading. Id like that anyways.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

_alphaBeta_

I think commodities trading could make sense for this game genre, but I have reservations below in why this could be problematic in the game's current configuration. Another indie title, "Banished" actually took a simplistic approach and essentially added up a credit/value tally for each item on each side of the impending trade. There was no universal currency, just the perception of a "fair" trade. The player had to have enough goods to have their credit/value tally greater than or equal to what the trader was offering you. There was no overflow of credits if they weren't equal; the computation was just used to gauge acceptable deals - one-time, goods for goods.

In the game's current form, however, I believe silver is the universal currency. As such, I maintain that it should always be visible on the trading window. All transactions are defined in terms of silver, including pricing for both buying and selling. You can still accomplish commodities trading with the current system, by lining up trades that end in no silver changing hands. It's really the same thing, only the current system allows unequal trading (or all selling and buying) with the difference made up in silver for future trades or traders.

If we go this route, we'd have to consider that unequal trading would cease to be a game concept. You couldn't sell all your sculptures to one trader and then wait for the next trader to buy a bunch of weapons. In order to buy those weapons, you'd have to trade the combat trader with goods they're willing to receive. At a minimum for trade to still be fun, I'd think most of the traders would need to accept most of the goods. That may be support just leaving the system as is.

Kegereneku

I support the tweak suggested in the topic.

The trade system is good as it is, and only need tweaking no fundamental shift.

The colony we deal with are too small to have economic conundrum, yet the resources are too complex intricate to work without specialized trader. So having some resources used as a currency is a very optimal solution.

So far I find it make a good gameplay even when I don't get the right trader or don't get trader.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !