[MOD] (Alpha 9) Stonecutting Skill Change (v1.0.2 / 21 Feb 2015)

Started by RemingtonRyder, February 13, 2015, 04:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

This mod alters the default WorkGiver for stonecutting so that it is done by colonists with the Mining, not Crafting job.  Additionally, the Crafting skill XP is removed.

Stonecutting is prioritised after mining, so in order for the miners to cut stone, there need to be no outstanding mining jobs.

Alpha 8

v1.0.0 - Initial release.
v1.0.1 - Changed the job used from Construction to Mining, fixes siegers deciding to cut stone at colonist stonecutting tables.
v1.0.2 - Changed the priorities of mining and stonecutting around per Alpha 9 release.

Alpha 9

v1.0.0 (Not released) - Same as Alpha 8 version.
v1.0.2 - Mining is now prioritised after stonecutting. Also, discovered out-of-date A9 version and removed. :(

Alternate version
v1.0.0 - Uses the Hauling job instead. Work giver has higher priority than general hauling, but lower than corpse hauling. Untested. Use at your own risk.

RemingtonRyder

A weird little bug - siege raiders will (in my testing with A9 at least) attempt to do stonecutting at your stonecutting tables.  I'll have to look into that, it may mean I'll have to drop the mod, unfortunately.

RemingtonRyder

I decided to try stonecutting as a Mining job instead of Construction. It should alleviate the above bug!

skullywag

I can only see that happening if its within the base radius that gets set when the siege starts. There really needs to be a faction check in the siege on the buildings to be built/used, I reckon if you had a random blueprint down and the siege base overlapped it, the would build that too. lol, nice bug, id log it in the bugs forum a raider shouldnt be able to use something that isnt in its faction.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

RemingtonRyder

Okay, first things first though I'd better see if I can reproduce that without mods. :)

And, updated to v1.0.1 which changes the job used to Mining. :)

shhfiftyfive

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 13, 2015, 04:52:01 PM
Stonecutting is prioritised after mining, so in order for the miners to cut stone, there need to be no outstanding mining jobs.
shouldn't it be the other way around? so if we want the stone cutting job done it will get done without forcing us to cancel all mining operation. and if we want them to mine instead, we can choose to suspend the work orders at the table, and/or we can prioritize more miners than we have stone cutting tables.

Cryonist

Great mod!

Quote from: shhfiftyfive on February 21, 2015, 03:43:33 AM
Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 13, 2015, 04:52:01 PM
shouldn't it be the other way around? so if we want the stone cutting job done it will get done without forcing us to cancel all mining operation. and if we want them to mine instead, we can choose to suspend the work orders at the table, and/or we can prioritize more miners than we have stone cutting tables.

Support for this. If stonecutting is a high priority task i can manage it by suspending the task and free the miner whenever needed.
Im curious if the crafting speed related to the mining skill?

RemingtonRyder

Crafting speed is purely dependant on physical stats - Manipulation, Consciousness and Sight if I recall correctly.

I'll switch the priorities around and give that a go. If I really need to cut stone and mine, then like you said, suspend some stonecutting bills or assign more miners. :)

shhfiftyfive

cool. look forward to an update then :)

the only issue would be if your best miner decides stonecutting is fun and the other miner with less skill does the mining. i don't suppose there's any way to change that?

the same problem exists with default vanilla crafting. i want my highest level crafter to be on the benches that output legendary items, not benches that don't have a quality output like stonecutting.

EDIT: actually i know a solution!!

like the incinerator... code in "hauler" as the job (instead of crafter or miner or constructor). that way you can set a colonist with no good skills as a hauler. and the hauler will cut stone if a bench is available (like incinerator). problem solved. and if you want hauling to get done you can suspend the workbench or prioritize more haulers... no legendary crafters or miners will be lost in the process.

RemingtonRyder

I agree with the sentiment, but colonists already have enough hauling work. I know that I'd rather have a dedicated hauler doing what they're supposed to.

With stonecutting bills, I tend to limit the ingredient range and set a limited quantity.

It does mean that haulers may spend a bit of time dragging stone in, but the miner/stonecutter will spend less time patching to the nearest stone chunk and more time making blocks. And when the job's done the guy goes back to mining.

I actually don't mind low-skill miners. It may take a while, but when they gain skill even colonists without any passion for the job can contribute, much like construction.

I think there will be some improvements to this in A10, fingers crossed.

shhfiftyfive

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 23, 2015, 05:18:10 AM
I agree with the sentiment, but colonists already have enough hauling work. I know that I'd rather have a dedicated hauler doing what they're supposed to.
when it comes to jobs that require dedication, 1 less pawn is one less pawn tbh. i mean a dedicated crafter isn't going to be doing anything but crafting. and he isn't really gonna get much crafting done if his priority isn't dedicated to it.

i don't see any difference with a hauler, except the drawback that he won't be gaining any skill exp while stonecutting, but with the bonus of not having a high skill colonist getting stuck doing a menial job that doesn't benefit from his high skill at all.

thus i appreciate why incinerators use haul skill instead of crafting.

(side note:) much like i would prefer the mech machine table to do the same (use haulers instead of crafters)! if only mortar shell wasn't tied to that machine workbench.... imo, mortar shell crafting should actually be unlocked when you research mortars, and given a separate workbench. for pete's sake man. so let's recap. you complete mortar research... um... and then you can't even use them without more research??? no man. that's not well though out at all.

i put in a mod request for that here... https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10751.0

RemingtonRyder

Well I suppose I could have a different version which uses Hauling instead. In fact, yep, done. Try it and see. :)

Cryonist

I love the priority change. Thanks for putting that in.
Haulers usually already have way too much to do in my colonies. I usually find myself ensuring there are times there is no construction and mining ongoing so everyone is freed up to catch up on the hauling tasks. So in my colonies its much easier to free up a miner instead of take someone off their normal hauling tasks.