Phineas Gage

Started by Argon, February 14, 2015, 12:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argon

So the current system of brain injuries although realistic leaves little room for drama. A new system could have a chance of the current effects as well as a chance for some more hilarious results to brain injuries, such as frequent mental rampages, or a person becoming abrasive.  This sword would cut both ways though, and a colonist could also become sanguine as a result.

-Argon

Vexare

What exactly are the 'usual' brain injury reactions that occur in the game right now?

I've been playing a ton since I got the game (addicted!) and have only had 1 colonist so far get a permanent brain injury. She was unfortunately my base doctor and lost all of her healing speed and effectiveness which sucked. :( She walked around slowly for awhile not doing anything and then after that just kind of only worked at a tiny percentage of her usual self. It was sad but I have to say it was one of the most memorable times in that game save because when she finally came down with a plague that had her in bed a week unable to move, the hard choice came up and I had the team vote (random roll) to euthanize her. DRAMA! :P

Argon

The "usual" reaction is to walk around slowly, with everything in the health tab impaired. this means that they often starve on the way to the food stockpile.

-Argon

Vexare

Quote from: Argon on February 14, 2015, 02:49:04 PM
The "usual" reaction is to walk around slowly, with everything in the health tab impaired. this means that they often starve on the way to the food stockpile.

Ah, ok then - well my colonist definitely had the usual reaction in that case.

I think there's definitely room for some new / diff outcomes for brain injury but it should be somewhat rare for a Phineas Gage type personality disorder to happen, right?

I was curious if there was ever a 'vegetated' state for brain injuries from which the colonists never wake up (making euthanize a much more viable option in that case).

loc978

it actually ties into the "consciousness" stat, reducing it to the percentage of remaining brain hp... consciousness percentage governs the maximum effectiveness of sight, hearing, moving and manipulation... and I think the threshold for incapacitation by damage to moving is 30%, but don't quote me on that. Might be 20%.

I know I've had colonists with 8 brain hp left who are still pretty productive... I've had ones with 4 who can just barely make it to the dining room and back to bed in 16 hours... and I distinctly remember a colonist with 2 brain hp who was a vegetable. That was the first time I ever used the hive mind portion of Apothecarius.