Hauling, task priorities, manually assigned tasks, cleaner bot, etc

Started by BoogieMan, January 23, 2015, 07:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoogieMan

-Hauling-
I'm seeing an issue that also plagues Dwarf Fortress.

The longer the game goes, the more hauling jobs are required. At a certain point there is just so much that needs done that it will never be completed. This is especially troublesome in games where you're digging into mountains to set up your home. The number of chunk hauling tasks is significant itself, but the issue is compounded by raids and pod drops. in my current game there are guns laying out from many raids ago that never got picked up. Literally 10+ hours later, random item drops out in the wilderness are still there. And I have about 14 people in my colony, 4 of which are full time haulers. I imagine being a snowy biome makes it worse with the reduced walking speed from the snow.. But it is still an issue on more friendly maps. I did however encounter a facepalm moment when I discovered it was better to haul bodies to a nearby dump zone BEFORE stripping them.. Essentially hauling 3-6 items at once. Even better if you have a trade beacon in the area to quickly sell off excess clothing/gear.

With new chunks from mining, steel, and hydroponics generated massive number of hauling jobs it just is never going to get caught up with. And typically as the game goes, many of these tasks end up being further and further away from your colony as things are mined out.

So my suggestion is add in constructable wheelbarrows, that can load up more items and the ability to carry more than 1 weapon or clothing item. Perhaps with quality tags that have a small effect on speed/value. Additionally, a new research goal for some kind of anti-grav dolly that requires stuff like uranium and steel/plasteel.

Tasks

I would very much like the ability to select a workbench and click a button "High Priority Task" so that job has a better chance of being selected over other same type of jobs that are less important. This would also be useful for constructions in progress.

Also to do with hauling, I suggest adding either an optional global priority on hauling tasks based off of item type. The user will see a list of hauling jobs and can drag tasks up or down the list, so you can say haul guns first or haul food first. A reset to default button would be a good idea as well, in case someone discoverers the way they set it up isn't working out.

A nice feature would also have the task assignment system scan available haulers for disabilities and assign jobs that require longer distances to more able bodied colonists. No more Mr Peg leg huffing through the snow in sub zero temperatures - all day - for 1 or 2 hauling jobs.

Manually Assigned Tasks

Most of the time when I assign a colonist to perform a task, they will do that step and then immediately upon finishing *only the current step* decide to run off and do something else. I want to strangle them when I really need a section of power lines done and I have to give them 8 orders to get the job done when they could have finished the whole thing on their own in like 3 seconds. I would like to suggest either A: Just default to seeing that job through to the end until something like fatigue or hunger kicks in, or B: Two options on the list when you right click an item - "Complete current step" (like it does now) or option A. So it would look something like:

[Complete Current Task]
[Complete Entire Task]

Cleaner Bot
A craftable small utility robot that moves at 70% normal moving speed can do basic cleaning jobs.
Perhaps a recharging base it has to return to for recharging from time to time.

Other small suggestions:

Colony wide mood bonus for fending off attacks, even more if no one died.

Small devices that can be crafted and equipped such as:
-A mineral scanner for detecting ore and chambers within mountains
-A bio scanner that provides small doctoring bonus, the ability to inject someone out in the field with some kind of trauma medicine that slows bleeding and reduces pain(when wounded person is hauled by someone who has the item equipped) and perhaps a small bonus to hit in combat with ranged attacks.

New Research that increases tree chopping speed

Weapon Mods

Entertainment devices that stressed/idle colonists can interact with to relax

Water as a resource, it is the most critical resource for survival after all

Well that's all I can think of for now. Thanks for reading!

Bargeral

++

Was thinking about suggesting a wheelbarrow or cart as well. It's so silly when a colonist walks to the other end of the map and picks up one pistol, then comes right back for another pistol. It would be nice to have a sort of "potable zone" for a certain number of any stack of items. Maybe we could get a wagon pulled by a Muffalo?

I had also though of a "hauler bot" as a constructable, I like your cleaner bot and think both would be great.

BoogieMan

Even if none of this was used, I sincerely think that people need to be able to haul more than 1 item regardless.

FridayBiology

small sled?
> two pole, rope and tarp across the gap like a stretcher and colonists drag it?
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

NoImageAvailable

+1 on the Roomba
It make for some interesting random events too. "A local Roomba has broken and is going on a psychotic rampage", "A local Roomba has attained sentience and radioed a nearby Mechanoid hive to pick him up"

Oh and I guess a wheelbarrow would be nice too, to haul the massive corpse piles left by sieging raiders.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Veroni

+1 on prioritizing certain items/job above others of the same type.

Also, selecting a specific colonist and let him do a single thing as priority doesn't work right IMO: I don't want a colonist to drop everything he/she is currently doing, but let him/her do that priority as the next thing in his/her queue.