Any Xcom: Enemy Unknown players around?

Started by Dragula, November 11, 2013, 05:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragula

While playing Rimworld i got the urge to give Xcom another go. Never was to good at it but i've seem to be improving. Just finished the first terror attackand i'm doing okay, no dead or critically wounded so far.

Anyone else playing?

Semmy

yes yes yes.

just dont got money for the expansion yet
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Galileus

Played a lot in my time, 3 full playthroughs (not counting aborting) all on ironman. Some of the mods out there were a blast, but modding scene seems to have hit a brick wall some time ago :( Thinking about re-match for some time actually.

Dragula

Still figuring out solid builds.
The Assault class with shotgun is so bad-ass at close range  8)

Semmy

Yeah i saw that.
But i always try and not get into close range d-;

I am playing terror from the deep atm.
Somehow i never really finished that game and i want to cross that shame off my list
Edmund Burke

Dragula

This game does make me curious to the other Xcom's

Semmy

Quote from: Dragula on November 11, 2013, 09:07:58 PM
This game does make me curious to the other Xcom's

imho if you can get past the gfx. And luckily i dont get annoyed by them at all. Than ufo and terror from the deep belong to the best turn based games out there.
Edmund Burke

Dragula

With games like these I'm in not heavily concerned about gfx. As long as the gameplay delivers.

I was considering Iron man mode but the game relies heavy on rng. A stroke of bad luck from the rng and you can lose a few veterans in the blink of an eye

GC13

Enemy Unknown is really good, and I'm going to be all over Enemy Within once the price comes down a bit. I was kind of disappointed to find the multiplayer a ghost town when I wanted to try it, but I probably would have gotten curb stomped anyway.

I actually owned the original before I got Enemy Unknown, but never got around to installing them. I loaded it up for a few minutes and was instantly put off by the interface. The graphics are pretty homely as well, and considering everything I've heard about the gameplay (the game seeming to be about abusing a few exploits) I'm not sure it's worth the effort to learn.

Produno

The original xcoms are imo the best turn based or even strategy games out there. Theirs also a hd mod for them so you can play at 1080p :).

Xenonauts is looking promising but nothing ever feels as good as the originals. Extraterrestrials was also good and worth a look, the second one is meant to be released some point soon.

Galileus

Xenonauts may be quite great, at this point in time... I'm not sure.

Any opinions on UFO (aftermath, aftershock, afterwhatever) series?  If I do remember correctly, the first one was pretty darn fun, with the "time as turns" approach and all. Had a quite good time with it.

Semmy

Quote from: Produno on November 12, 2013, 02:24:18 PM
The original xcoms are imo the best turn based or even strategy games out there. Theirs also a hd mod for them so you can play at 1080p :).

Xenonauts is looking promising but nothing ever feels as good as the originals. Extraterrestrials was also good and worth a look, the second one is meant to be released some point soon.

i found xeno very dissapointing. The goons look to alien themselves. d-;

and just play the classic xcom's specially the first 2 are awsome.
Edmund Burke

Hypolite

Quote from: Galileus on November 12, 2013, 02:29:54 PMAny opinions on UFO (aftermath, aftershock, afterwhatever) series?  If I do remember correctly, the first one was pretty darn fun, with the "time as turns" approach and all. Had a quite good time with it.
I breezed through the first two of the series, and I stopped short during the first mission of the third one. Even though they are based on the same mechanics, the third one doesn't have the same oppressing atmosphere the first two games have. Overall very good tactics games worth buying together.

Galileus

I scarcely remember two first ones (and can't remember which one had the original Fredritch the Shotgun Ninja  and which double sniper fest from a crane :P), but boy do I remember the third one. I remember it sucked and I remember aliens died when they tripped and fell on their faces ;)

Dragula

Just noticed that there was a 3rd-person tactical shooter released in the xcom universe. Looks pretty sweet.

I'm now in my first decent playthrough, and third overall, in Enemy Unknown. Got my ass handed to me in the first two....
After reading some guides i started focus on satellites form day one. Half-way the third month now with 4 uplinks, 5 satellites in the air, 6 satellites in storage and 1 being build. The supports are waving light plasma's, the rest is on lazorz. After the base assault every country got back to panic 1.  So it's going a bit better :)