How to calculate weapon epicness

Started by InfinityKage, February 16, 2015, 09:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfinityKage

So basically I'm trying to come up with a formula to factor Damage, Range, Accuracy, Shots-per-burst, and Aim Time/Warmup into some type of Epicness number. Something I can plug into a spreedsheet. I know damage times shots-per-burst divided by the Aim-Time. I just need to find a way to factor in Range and Accuracy.

rmurdocci

Imo, no need...

Step 1: Increase pop using prisoners/traders
Step 2: Gear/weapon-up all your colonists (thanks to fail raiders et al)
Step 3: Don't care 'bout weapons, just pawn anyone coming out of them kill boxes

Woot

REMworlder

Yay spreadsheets!

Since it sounds like you have the data you need, I'm guessing the question is how to express it. For range accuracies I'd be temped to break it into at least two categories, like touch-medium, medium-long. Or weight the different values by something like optimal performance or likely usage distance.

For developing an actual equation you can use to express epicness or utility or whatever, I'd suggest graphing the key variables and working on some sort of line of best fit. With some tweaking you could end up with some algebraic expression you could use across all weapons.

That said, I'm awful at this sort of thing so it'd be cool to hear someone who knows better. :P

TheNewTeddy

QuoteHow to calculate weapon epicness

sig

Halinder

The minigun is great against large groups of enemies but is largely inaccurate, takes a very long time to fire, and will destroy things around the target -- this is good to eliminate cover but can damage your colony.

The M-24 is slow-firing, but has amazing range and accuracy. It has the highest damage in the game and can sometimes land one-hit kills. It's best used for firing on mechanoids and siege bases rather than close-up defending your own base, if your base is closed in.

The LMG that I can't remember the name of, the one that fires bursts of 3-5 rounds, is a personal favorite simply because of being all-around good, though it's not particularly special in any way. It's decently accurate but still has the slight spread of the minigun and the medium range of the M-16. It's got average damage and with enough of them centipede-killing is pretty easy.

The M-16 is useful for picking off single targets, good for early game raiding parties when they aren't too crazy. It's medium range, but in base defense you don't need anything that long range. It's pretty quick to fire, has a three-round burst, and is significantly accurate. However, its damage is nothing to be too crazy about (I once shot a pirate at least 7 times, and had to flee -- they died of blood loss.)

The uzi is largely similar to the M-16, firing slightly faster with a medium-damage three round burst, however it's quite close range.

The pump shotgun is, as you can guess, close range and high damage. It takes a little bit more time to fire than the uzi but can decimate targets in two shots and doesn't miss often from its effective range, if the enemy is out of cover. Pile them at your doors to wipe out pirates that storm in. Their damage, combined with the centipede's 200% accuracy bonus for being a large target, make them ideal for taking out mechanoids.

The pistol has pitiful range and damage but fires a single shot very fast. Medium accuracy. Better to replace it with an uzi or a pump shotgun if you can.

The Lee-Enfield is for those who kind of want an M-24 but hate its long aim time. It fires faster, does about half the M-24's damage which is still enough to cause decent harm, but doesn't quite have the same range.

Can't say much about the charge rifle, I don't particularly use it that much as its accuracy doesn't seem to be too great.

ZestyLemons

For accuracy, I would personally just multiply (your equation here after all that other stuff) * (touch+short+medium+long)/4

Where "(touch+short+medium+long)/4" would give you the average accuracy of the weapon. For range though, I have no idea how you would factor it in. Maybe calculate it against the average range of all the weapons in the game, and give a bonus if it's above the average or a penalty if it's below the average.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

skullywag

Are the different firing points dynamic based on the range? For example if the range is 10 is touch within 2 cells, short within 4, medium 6 long 8+ and if its 20 range double them or is still 2,4,6,8+? if its dynamic based on range then range is simply a player choice and shouldnt factor...I think....not sure now ive said it outloud.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Mithradates

I don't know that this is really doable, at least as far as aggregate 'usefulness' is concerned. Sure, a model can be made, but it won't be strictly accurate; giving everyone a sniper rifle is great for some situations, but terrible for drop pods or large numbers. I think you would be better advised to just make a spreadsheet of their various stats, including Maximum Damage per Second, as well as Hit Chance Modifier x number of shots in burst, Hit Chance Modifier x DPS, (Range x (Burst size x Hit Chance)/Loading time) [ = The Damage estimate before closing in Melee/Pistol Firing Radius at full range], and maybe some other Maths. That way, you can keep track of the various strengths and weaknesses of different weapons.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: TheNewTeddy on February 17, 2015, 01:40:36 AM
QuoteHow to calculate weapon epicness

Gah, black on transparent white on a dark-background forum :D Had to open the image on another tab to see it. Though, pretty sure that's not a weapon epicness calculation... I may be wrong :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here