Deterioration change?

Started by Dukkha, September 26, 2018, 01:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morbo513

I preferred the condition-determines-performance mechanic from before. I didn't realise it'd changed until seeing this thread. What's the point in maintaining an item's condition or replacing it once it deteriorates past a certain point, if the only effect it has is how long til it goes *poof* if left out in the elements, or left to burn? I couldn't care less about manipulating wealth vs raids, but now the item condition mechanic has close enough to zero bearing on the gameplay that it might as well not exist.

For weapons, I'd have preferred jamming to be a thing while the degree to which accuracy diminishes is minimised.

AileTheAlien

A problem with item deterioration (which I don't think anyone in this thread has addressed), is that the game doesn't have an item-repair mechanic. If guns (or clothing, or armor...) were affected by their condition, I would be annoyed with the inability to repair my things. It makes no sense in the context of the game-universe (where you can repair other things), it's not realistic (people restore old guns all the time), and it would add tedious chores for me as a player (spend time micro-managing gun health on my pawns and warehouses). Clothing and armor have some tools to mitigate that last point (gear assignments, recurring bills to destroy old gear), but weapons do not; Either way, I would view it as silly, that my colonists on this harsh world are throwing out worn guns, rather than repairing them or salvaging component parts to repair other guns.

The current mechanics in the game aren't perfect, but they have a good balance between game difficulty, and pushing the player towards interestign behaviours or choices. For example, do I scrap this old rifle for steel, or keep using it so that I can sell the perfect-condition rifle to the next trader?)

BLACK_FR

Selling weapons is not an option because of 20% multiplier.

Regarding missing repair mechanic. I think it would be good if you could repair any item using some percentage of production cost and losing quality with every repair, I think it would be balanced and make game more fun.

Sadly, there is final release already. So it can be done only in mods. And modders very often take good idea and make very unbalanced implementation.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Morbo513

While we're on the subject of repairs, I'd like a system similar to that of Jagged Alliance 2 (Not sure if this is a 1.13 mod feature or not) - You can repair items, but damage and degradation it sustains can and often does reduce the max condition it can be repaired to. So a gun that's been used heavily over several in-game years (Rimworld) will never be able to reach back to 100% but it could've gone from 100, down to 70, back up to 99, down to 50, back up to 90 etc. But if you want a pristine gun, you're going to have to manufacture a new one.
You could get down to the nitty-gritty of tracking the condition of different major components and such and being able to replace them, but that would be too much detail for Rimworld unless you've got a mod that's really focused on the arms industry end of things.

nameless1

Quote from: BLACK_FR on October 21, 2018, 12:59:43 PM
Nope, in B19 and 1.0 no health affect utility of anything, but it affect wealth. So it's good idea to change your new normal rifle for 10% normal rifle that was dropped by a raider.
I think that this change is bad and I created mod request for balance changes but there were no replies yet (I'm ready to provide all necessary numbers).
Quote from: Scavenger on October 21, 2018, 01:30:00 PM
It also takes away from the crafting system... You get so many guns from raids, and now that they are all full accuracy, AND damaged for colony wealth, just use them a lot of the time.
Exacly. It's not just bad, it's terrible. Why on earth would Tynan impoverish the gameplay this way for the final release is beyond me..

Serenity

A mod to restore the old behavior would be very nice

B@R5uk

May be they just forgot to implement some function? Or may be they implemented it but named it wrong and instead of intended function now work some plug? Or may be they can not decide what curve to use, and there is the deadline, so they just don't do it at all? Have some better explanations, guys? Or has someone officially explained things already?

Shurp

Usually what happens in the gaming world is:

"Hey, I have an idea to improve this feature of the game.  Let's try it."
"Oh crap, it's not working right."
"Oh crap, the original version doesn't work with other features we introduced."
"Oh crap, the deadline's right here.  Quick, throw something together that's serviceable so we can release!"

I wonder what happened in between B18 "raiders can't shoot straight because their guns are garbage" and B19 "a rifle with a barrel bent at 90 degrees still shoots perfectly straight!"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Thane

It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.