Cannibal colony

Started by tommytom, February 17, 2015, 08:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommytom

Never tried but, I imagine that there is a negative, or there should be, when eating food not as a cannibal.

It would be interesting to have a cannibal colony where your new people eventually get the trait "cannibal" after so many human meat meals. Basically, they get a negative for a while and then it turns positive.

As far as balancing, it kind of is at the start from the negative, but it should have a lasting disadvantage (other than shortage of raids/etc) like not having human meat for a while causes negative thoughts or eating normal foods will (other than meat, which would just be neutral?).

It would be an interesting new challenge.

ManWithNoName

Seen a youtuber do this for a bit " Blitzkriegsler" the only downsides were some colonists were like you said unhappy for a few minutes that they had eaten human meat, but i do like your suggestion that maybe cannibals get grumpy if they didnt have any. The thing is their would need to be a way to split the meals so cannibals get their human meat and non cannibals get vegetarian/animal meat, or like you suggested after a while they become cannibals because they have gotten a taste for it.

With having an all cannibal colony there could be downsides for example traders dont visit and they attack the colony more to wipe you out, plus with you being a savage blood hungry race things like optimism, sanguine traits dissipate, your research takes longer and maybe your work flow slows down as they are more savage.

Who knows maybe after years of eating human meat they could actually change and forget how to use guns and there technology and only use their hands and other hand weapons.

Mithradates

Eh. The second half, sure; the first, nah.

Cannibalism is too easy as it is - easier than Fine Mealing it.

A. Set up Killbox
B. Piss everyone off.
C. Eat.

As well, I strongly doubt that most people would joyfully become cannibals simply because some asshole won't cook anything but human meat. More likely, they would waint until they outnumbered their captors, stab the chef to death, kill the remaining cannibal-slavers (the two go hand-in-hand), and either start acting like sane persons, or, having experienced the horrors of this abomination of a colony, destroy what they can and move together to a new area - probably joining one of the other settlements on the planet, if they are fortunate (who are most-likely none-the-wiser regarding the practices of the colony). If I constantly insult your grandmother, you don't start enjoying it six months in; nor do you start despising not having her insulted. You punch me out.

I would also like to add cannibal-specific diseases. I can't remember the names of any specific cases, but I know that they swept through cannibal societies, killing quickly, as recently as the 1970's.

In short, I think that this is better suited to a Mod than to the main game.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

Sartain

For my part, I think cannibalism should be a last resort. Basically, unless a colonist has the Cannibal trait they'll only eat human meat if no other option is available, and there should probably be a significant risk of a colonist simply abandoning the colony before that, unless they already have mental crazy traits like psychopath or similar.

Mithradates

I like that as well, Sartain. I think a big part of the problem is that there is food available elsewhere.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

JimmyAgnt007

Eating human meat doesnt automatically lead to any diseases per say.  Human is like pig, you gotta cook it completely or you will get sick.  The tribes that are cannibals dont exclusively eat people.  They just do it when its available or as part of a ritual.  Things that wipe out those tribes can just be run of the mill diseases that would wipe out any other tribe.  Or they just didnt cook someone who was sick well enough and all caught the same thing.

For the game, ive mentioned it before, eat people often enough and you should become a cannibal.  I do like the idea of people refusing to eat it regardless and either running away or going a bit nuts.  Maybe if there is a way for the colonists to check if something has human meat or not.  ones with the cannibal trait will prioritize eating them and others will avoid it unless starving and there is no other option.

Being a cannibal doesnt make you a savage.  Its just only really done by the most primitive cultures because they were already uncivilized.  I know its fiction but Hannibal Lector was brilliant and civilized.  Some people eat people because something is broken in their head, others because they think that its normal.  Either way it doesnt have an effect on the rest of their personality.

Mithradates

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 18, 2015, 10:38:08 AM
Eating human meat doesn't automatically lead to any diseases per say.  Human is like pig, you gotta cook it completely or you will get sick.  The tribes that are cannibals don't exclusively eat people.  They just do it when its available or as part of a ritual.  Things that wipe out those tribes can just be run of the mill diseases that would wipe out any other tribe.  Or they just didn't cook someone who was sick well enough and all caught the same thing.

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that whenever you eat a person, you get the disease - I meant diseases which spread through that method. While yes, these tribes do contract normal diseases, there are also ones which are specific only to regions where cannibalism was practiced. And these diseases tend to spread through the community quickly, as the victims are cooked and eaten, further passing the disease to others.

For the game, I've mentioned it before, eat people often enough and you should become a cannibal.  I do like the idea of people refusing to eat it regardless and either running away or going a bit nuts.  Maybe if there is a way for the colonists to check if something has human meat or not.  ones with the cannibal trait will prioritize eating them and others will avoid it unless starving and there is no other option.

No, that's not how it works. A person who is not a cannibal, and who is in fact staunchly opposed to the idea of eating human flesh (most people) does not simply become a cannibal if being forced to eat human meat. If a person forced you to do so, when other food was available, you would go mad and probably attack them at some point. One doesn't just throw away all of their moral qualms about eating people just because they were conditioned to the taste of the meat. I do like the idea of Latent (invisible) traits that allow for people to pick up traits under certain conditions (such as you have described)...however, I do not believe that it should be formulaic, or simply a matter of putting someone in a beautiful room, locking them in there with a hundred lavish human fillets, and them almost certainly coming out with the 'cannibal' trait. I would say make a latent trait for some sort of ammoralism, which eventually starts to lessen the mood impact of certain factors, which progressively transforms into a total lack of concern, and finally an active enjoyment of said activities (cannibalism, enslavement, dissection, etc). Likewise, people should go the opposite route as well...and the player shouldn't know to begin with which way a character is inclined, maybe.

I think that forced, needless cannibalism for an extended period of time should cause a revolt - not simply a 'mental break'. Maybe it starts with one or two of those...but as you refuse to change anything, (some percentage of) the non-cannibals form plans and go hostile all at once. They incapacitate or kill the cannibals, harvest nearby berries/hunt/whatever, eat a normal meal for once, and then begin the process of destroying important things within the base (Communication consoles, power generators, coolers, production things, etc, before setting fire to the place and leaving for another settlement. Maybe your people will start refusing to eat the meals before this happens, to kind of give the player a warning that they're on edge. I would not want this to be a method of 'resetting the timer', however; a few normal meals will not make them ready to start eating the dead again.

I do think that the colonists should be able to check what's in their food...however, I think that if people are being eaten *anywhere* in the colony, every non-cannibal should take a mood debuff lasting for quite a while, as they are disgusted and are now unsure about their own food.

Being a cannibal doesn't make you a savage.  Its just only really done by the most primitive cultures because they were already uncivilized.  I know its fiction but Hannibal Lector was brilliant and civilized.  Some people eat people because something is broken in their head, others because they think that its normal.  Either way it doesn't have an effect on the rest of their personality.

I've read several of the Silence of the Lambs books. While yes, Lecter appreciated art and was highly intelligent, he was still a savage person - brutally murdering people, for little real reason in some cases (in other cases, there were definitely motives). But I think by 'savage' you mean something more akin to 'tribal' whereas I mean 'committing barbarous acts'. #LinguisticProblems

Sartain

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 18, 2015, 10:38:08 AMMaybe if there is a way for the colonists to check if something has human meat or not.  ones with the cannibal trait will prioritize eating them and others will avoid it unless starving and there is no other option.

Since colonists eating human flesh food gets a debuff, the engine already has a way for colonists to distinguish between regular food and Soylent Green. They even register human flesh turned into nutrient paste as cannibalism automatically.

tommytom

If that is true, cannibals are just a specific trait, but it hardly seems right that all the other colonists would be fine with the one guy eating human flesh. I would be weirded the f*** out by some guys passing me in the hallway knowing he would like to eat me and EXTREMELY disconcerting if he were eating at the same table as me with human meat on his plate and joyfully eating it right in front of me.

My suggestion wasn't a "break the game because food is always available and anyone becomes a cannibal".
My suggestion is, rather, a "different play style that can be fun but also challenging".

I don't know exactly how that will be attained. I think it should start with having 3 cannibals though. This would deem your colony a cannibal colony and that alone is a challenge to roll all three that way.

On top of that, the negatives should be higher in same way to make it balanced, and their should be a way to grow your colony to have more cannibals (which are rare) without actually having regular colonists around just eatting regular food. That's no fun. As it stands, you could have 1-2 cannibals with infinite food (as long as it's refrigerated) and no downsides. As it stands, I think it is broken, honestly. It's basically win-win-win as when you run out of normal food, you STILL have one guy extremely happy to eat human flesh and the others dont care that they do but do when they do (if that makes sense).

Sartain

Quote from: tommytom on February 18, 2015, 02:50:48 PM
If that is true, cannibals are just a specific trait, but it hardly seems right that all the other colonists would be fine with the one guy eating human flesh. I would be weirded the f*** out by some guys passing me in the hallway knowing he would like to eat me and EXTREMELY disconcerting if he were eating at the same table as me with human meat on his plate and joyfully eating it right in front of me.
To be fair, just because someone is readily willing to eat the meat of the people you killed defending your base against them doesn't necessarily mean said someone is also willing to eat his friends or co-colonists. But I see your point, having cannibals in a colony should probably have colony-wide effects even for those not practicing cannibalism.

PokestarFan

Quote from: ManWithNoName on February 18, 2015, 03:22:25 AM
Seen a youtuber do this for a bit " Blitzkriegsler" the only downsides were some colonists were like you said unhappy for a few minutes that they had eaten human meat, but i do like your suggestion that maybe cannibals get grumpy if they didnt have any. The thing is their would need to be a way to split the meals so cannibals get their human meat and non cannibals get vegetarian/animal meat, or like you suggested after a while they become cannibals because they have gotten a taste for it.

With having an all cannibal colony there could be downsides for example traders dont visit and they attack the colony more to wipe you out, plus with you being a savage blood hungry race things like optimism, sanguine traits dissipate, your research takes longer and maybe your work flow slows down as they are more savage.

Who knows maybe after years of eating human meat they could actually change and forget how to use guns and there technology and only use their hands and other hand weapons.
Yeah, I know and watch the youtuber Blitz. Is it the series with Data in it? Change of topic. Thanks to him, I do cannibalisim in my world. Only problem: Too much human meat. I mean, it goes into a bedroom of another person. I wish it would go into the freezer room instead. My colonists are tough, plus I always get superior or above level sculptures.

Easy way to get meat:

seal all but one of the ways into your base.

put sandbags all around the entrance with turrets behind them.

Give the turrets power

Wait for a raid[/list]

tommytom

He has so many rimworld videos. Do you know which series is cannibals?