Coolers and Heaters

Started by Undecided, February 19, 2015, 12:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undecided

So, I'm having a few issues with the cooler/heater system right now... but I'm not 100% sure if it's a bug or just a misunderstanding due to the lack of information on them. So, a few questions:

- Is there any way to view rooms temperature, like beauty view?
- Am I correct in assuming temperature is only being tracked per enclosed room? (Since the few games that do have per-square constant heat tracking tend to consume tons of CPU just to keep tabs on it)
- Does a single unit heat/cool a room infinitely, or do you need to scale up the total number based on the room size and local climate?
- How quickly do rooms "bleed" temperature differential and revert back to the local climate?
- Do coolers actually require ventilation to the outside? Or can your bunker just have a dead-end 1x1  room to dump infinite heat into?

REMworlder

Here's a stab at your questions:

1) Just mousing over a tile should show the temperature on that tile.

2) Yeah, an enclosed room only has one temperature, and it's consistent throughout.

3) Yes, you may need to scale. When outside is -50°F for example, I often need at least two heaters.

4) As of A9 both roof and walls leak temperature. Basically the bigger the room the more leakage.

5) Yes you need ventilation to the outside. Now, if that 1x1 tile doesn't have a roof you'll see it's classified as outside, so you can dump as much heat as you want, like a roof vent. If you try to dump heat into an enclosed space faster than that space can vent, the cooler will max out quickly and only be able to cool a little.

RemingtonRyder

The heat loss/gain for large rooms was improved. I submitted a bug in A9 showing that it was easier to heat a large room divided down the middle by a wall than if one block were removed (to make it one room again).

You'll still need plenty of heaters to counteract the extreme cold, especially in rooms with an outside wall, but it should be a sane amount.