Conduits and Doors are too similar.

Started by Kregoth, November 12, 2013, 04:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kregoth

the blue doors has a tendency to throw me off when building something needing power conduits. Can't tell you how many times I have accidently placed a door instead of a conduit.

I know the art style is most likely going to change, but I think doors should be a different color and conduits really should be blue. I am referring to the icon in the selection menu.

I love this game be the way, I can't wait to see more Tynan :)

EDIT: I know this is very minor in terms of feedback, but it was something that struck me as a very easy new player mistake. Having it easier to distinguish between them would do wonders.

mumblemumble

The reason they are the colors they are, the doors seem to be reinforced glass, while conduit is steel pipes containing wires (like in real life).

If you are thinking about the blue display for circuitry, that's simply for ease of seeing where the electrical systems are.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Semmy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

ShadowDragon8685

I suppose it couldn't hurt for there to be an option for the player to select a UI color for his power grids in the options menu - red, yellow, blue, cyan, magenta, whatever. Maybe a box for the player to enter a hex-code for color?

Or just make it yellow. Most people associate yellow with electricity.
Raiders must die!

Produno

Well, in Europe (im not sure about Americas etc) but a live electrical cable is brown (standard 240v) and blue for neutral. So i mostly associate electric with brown. Yellow is for 110v mainly.

Old colours in the UK were red and black for 240v (which was 230v) with red being the live.

We could go into 3 phase if you wanna get really technical.

Just my input :).

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Produno on November 12, 2013, 01:48:04 PMWell, in Europe (im not sure about Americas etc) but a live electrical cable is brown (standard 240v) and blue for neutral. So i mostly associate electric with brown. Yellow is for 110v mainly.

Old colours in the UK were red and black for 240v (which was 230v) with red being the live.

I'm not talking about associating the color of wiring, I'm talking about associating the color of electricity itself - in video games, in popular culture, what color is unleashed/elemental/magical electricity? Yellow! It's the eye-drawing color of our very own lightning bolt symbol which indicates a device is without power.
Raiders must die!

Produno

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 12, 2013, 02:01:51 PM
I'm not talking about associating the color of wiring, I'm talking about associating the color of electricity itself - in video games, in popular culture, what color is unleashed/elemental/magical electricity? Yellow! It's the eye-drawing color of our very own lightning bolt symbol which indicates a device is without power.

Chill Winston. That wasnt aimed at you. Just giving my own input is all.

Oh, and its colour not color heheh ;p.

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 12, 2013, 02:01:51 PMI'm talking about associating the color of electricity itself - in video games, in popular culture, what color is unleashed/elemental/magical electricity?

Blue o_O

Produno

Quote from: Galileus on November 12, 2013, 02:31:58 PM
Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 12, 2013, 02:01:51 PMI'm talking about associating the color of electricity itself - in video games, in popular culture, what color is unleashed/elemental/magical electricity?

Blue o_O

Heh, i was thinking that but didnt want to provoke an argument. Lol

Kregoth

Sorry for putting this in general, I meant to put this in suggestions :(

Like I said the door color is a minor issue, and I hardly make the mistake anymore. I wanted to bring it to attention only because I have seen a few of my friends play the game and do the same thing.

As for the door and electricity color, the door interacts with electricity so maybe it should turn blue when connected, but looks like a normal glass door in the interface. 

Quote from: Produno on November 12, 2013, 02:15:31 PM
Oh, and its colour not color heheh ;p.

Sorry but don't try to correct someone with english when there are 2 different english languages. Color and Colour are both correct.

Amaror

As i understand it all of the art is placeholder anyway, until the new artist gets to work on it.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Produno on November 12, 2013, 02:15:31 PMOh, and its colour not color heheh ;p.

I'll use any bloody spelling I damn well please, thank ye very much. :P

Quote from: Galileus on November 12, 2013, 02:31:58 PMBlue o_O

Our very own lightning bolt icon seems to say that yellow is more electrical a color than blue.

Frankly, either works, but if telling what's a conduit under wire-view and telling what's a door under wire-view are a problem for some players - and especially taking into account the possibility of players who suffer from some form of colour-blindness - then the color of the wire-diagram should be adjustable in the options menu. Hence why I'd suggested the ability for the player to choose their own colour.
Raiders must die!

mumblemumble

Its not the WIRES you are placing though, so wire color is irrelevant. its the CONDUIT, which is essentially a steel tube which contains and protects the wires from damage. And steel isn't blue, at least not blue like that, and raw wires being laid down would both be a hazard (damaged wires are a huge risk) and they can be damaged super easy, as the plastic coating on wires is very thin, only enough to let someone handle the live wire without being shocked - its nowhere near thick enough to stay intact in rough environments, hence the conduit.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 12, 2013, 03:51:39 PMIts not the WIRES you are placing though, so wire color is irrelevant. its the CONDUIT, which is essentially a steel tube which contains and protects the wires from damage. And steel isn't blue, at least not blue like that, and raw wires being laid down would both be a hazard (damaged wires are a huge risk) and they can be damaged super easy, as the plastic coating on wires is very thin, only enough to let someone handle the live wire without being shocked - its nowhere near thick enough to stay intact in rough environments, hence the conduit.

You do understand that I'm talking about the "wire diagram" view that happens only when you select a power conduit to be placed, right? The way walls, doors, and power conduits all light up with blue to show that they are capable of carrying power?

Although painting the conduit yellow wouldn't be a bad idea...
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 12, 2013, 03:49:03 PMOur very own lightning bolt icon seems to say that yellow is more electrical a color than blue.

Yellow means "warning!" not "electricity" ;)

Try this, this and count blue and yellow ;) My favorite is: