Conduits and Doors are too similar.

Started by Kregoth, November 12, 2013, 04:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Galileus on November 12, 2013, 04:07:54 PMYellow means "warning!" not "electricity" ;)

Try this, this and count blue and yellow ;) My favorite is:

Come on dude, seriously? You're arguing over this?

The point of the diagram view is, I think, to make it unambiguously clear as regards which bits are electrical conductors and which bits are not. Given the OP's post, I think there is at least some ambiguity for some people.

Hence why I suggest allowing the user to customize that color as an option. Everyone can pick a color which is unambiguous to them, whether it's blue, yellow, red, fuscia, or mud-brown.

(Also, for the record, blue works well as an electrical color, but when I think electricity, blue is the second color I'd associate with it, behind yellow.)
Raiders must die!

Kregoth

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 12, 2013, 03:54:28 PM
Quote from: mumblemumble on November 12, 2013, 03:51:39 PMIts not the WIRES you are placing though, so wire color is irrelevant. its the CONDUIT, which is essentially a steel tube which contains and protects the wires from damage. And steel isn't blue, at least not blue like that, and raw wires being laid down would both be a hazard (damaged wires are a huge risk) and they can be damaged super easy, as the plastic coating on wires is very thin, only enough to let someone handle the live wire without being shocked - its nowhere near thick enough to stay intact in rough environments, hence the conduit.

You do understand that I'm talking about the "wire diagram" view that happens only when you select a power conduit to be placed, right? The way walls, doors, and power conduits all light up with blue to show that they are capable of carrying power?

Although painting the conduit yellow wouldn't be a bad idea...

Yeah that's where the consistency issue happens. When working with conduits everything mostly turns blue, having the door the same color makes for an easily mistakable conduit. That's mostly why I think conduits should be blue, and doors should have the grey color, at least until they are hooked up. It just makes conduit's far more recognizable when you look for them.

Also I didn't make this topic for people to complain to each other about what color electricity is. That's not relevant to the discussion currently.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Kregoth on November 12, 2013, 04:19:58 PMYeah that's where the consistency issue happens. When working with conduits everything mostly turns blue, having the door the same color makes for an easily mistakable conduit. That's mostly why I think conduits should be blue, and doors should have the grey color, at least until they are hooked up. It just makes conduit's far more recognizable when you look for them.

I'm not in favor of recoloring doors, personally. I can see the confusion, though - a door across a one-tile-wide hallway in conduit view looks very similar to a conduit unless you look closely.

They also work more or less the same vis-a-vis electrical conductivity, though.

Quote from: Kregoth on November 12, 2013, 04:19:58 PMAlso I didn't make this topic for people to complain to each other about what color electricity is. That's not relevant to the discussion currently.

Oh.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize.

You must be new here. Hi, I'm ShadowDragon8685. Welcome to the internet, where the OP - that's shorthand for "Original Post(er)" has only tangential relationship to the direction a topic takes after a dozen or so posts, and the wishes of the OP to restrict a topic in any manner whatsoever, either voiced in the OP itself or later in the thread, are precisely 100% irrelevant.

Enjoy your stay, we have cookies.
Raiders must die!

mumblemumble

The icon for the conduit is a corner piece, if you remember that its plenty easy to keep it in mind.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 12, 2013, 04:28:34 PMthe wishes of the OP to restrict a topic in any manner whatsoever, either voiced in the OP itself or later in the thread, are precisely 100% irrelevant.

Wow. Just wow.

Anyhow, as it was stated before - this game is very likely to go through graphical changes anyway. It may be a good idea to bring that case up when it does - but as of now this discussion seems void.

Produno

Quote from: Kregoth on November 12, 2013, 03:33:44 PM
Sorry but don't try to correct someone with english when there are 2 different english languages. Color and Colour are both correct.

I thought it was pretty obvious i was joking, hence the ;p.. Besides if you want to get technical, i was saying the correct English, not the correct American English ;)

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 12, 2013, 03:49:03 PM
I'll use any bloody spelling I damn well please, thank ye very much. :P

I wasnt telling you what to use, just pointing out whats correct heheh. No seriously i was only joking :).

I like the idea of choosing your own colour, but as Galileus said i guess its a mute point at the moment seeing as most the art could be changed. So i guess changing the art of the door would eleviate the problem so it can be left as is.

Kregoth

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 12, 2013, 04:28:34 PM
Oh.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize.

You must be new here. Hi, I'm ShadowDragon8685. Welcome to the internet, where the OP - that's shorthand for "Original Post(er)" has only tangential relationship to the direction a topic takes after a dozen or so posts, and the wishes of the OP to restrict a topic in any manner whatsoever, either voiced in the OP itself or later in the thread, are precisely 100% irrelevant.

Enjoy your stay, we have cookies.

Roger, I'll consider you 100% irrelevant when I read your posts. Thanks for telling me ahead of time :)

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Produno on November 12, 2013, 05:11:47 PMI like the idea of choosing your own colour, but as Galileus said i guess its a mute point at the moment seeing as most the art could be changed. So i guess changing the art of the door would eleviate the problem so it can be left as is.

I don't imagine that the "coloring grid" concept is going away, so choosing one's own color for its UI element seems a very good idea to me, both for the current game and for the future versions. I also wonder how it would interact with persons suffering from some form of color-blindness; I myself do not, but I'm given to understand that persons with said problem have difficult distinguishing certain colors that normally-sighted individuals do not, but otherwise can perceive different colors well enough.
Raiders must die!