Mod release rules

Started by Evul, February 19, 2015, 02:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evul

Here are some basic rules set for everybody to enjoy their time on the mod release board in addition to the Forum-wide rules.

1. Stick to the community standard topic naming. E.g. name starts with [1.0] for version 1.0.

2. Include a license. This is just a few sentences at the end of your post. It should answer at least these questions:

• Can modpack makers include your mod in their modpack?
  • Can other modders make derivative mods based on yours?
3. Avoid spamming mods in the release board. If you have multiple minor mods (e.g. a mod that only changes one or two things and does not change the game overall) make a mod collection thread instead. We have had problems with people posting large numbers of tiny mods, and want to make sure there's room to see everyone's work.

4. If you release a modpack, you must fully credit the authors of all mods included in the pack. You must present a list of all included mods, each tagged with the names of the author(s), and with a direct link to the original mod's release page. You must abide by the license restrictions of the respective mods.

Before creating a new mod release, please take a look at HELP: Publish a mod, help and FAQ.

Iwillbenicetou

Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Evul

joshwoo69

How bout JuliaEllie's mods? Do they need to go under one roof and dat thread need to be bumped to say like "here's a new mod! Enjoy!"?

Evul

The rule is applied from now and forward for future releases. If a mod only contains minor changes keep them to one thread. :)

soulkata

Well, I kinda like the JuliaEllie's style of publishing small mods, I can choose between them carefully...

If they are packed all together, i wont download any, because I dont want all of her mods...
And if she put all of her mods on a single thread, If would be a messy to handle user suport!

In my humble opinion, to give the visibility to all mods, shoud be creatd a Fixed and Locked, thread, linking the mod threads! Or leave this way! :)

Evul

You don't have to pack them all together just have them in the same thread.

Igabod

Quote from: Evul on February 20, 2015, 03:06:23 PM
You don't have to pack them all together just have them in the same thread.

ItchyFlea has already done this, as have a few other modders. But to see an example of what Evul is talking about look at This Thread. One page listing several individual mods that can be downloaded separately is all that is required.

Kirid

I modded a Dr. Suess Quote: “A mod's a mod, no matter how small.”
I have some serious concerns about this..

It will only affect a few select people and I doubt it will have any real impact on the crowding in the release thread. People are going to continue to add new mods expanding the list. Half of the release thread is currently outdated mods, which I know you keep on there in case they are updated, but it's getting out of control and is by far the biggest issue in finding up-to-date mods.

All my mods are small, so they should all go in one of these collection threads, which would have a fairly good chance of being overlooked.
I would get the same exposure as someone who makes a single mod with one item (they wouldn't be required to make a collection thread, as they only have one mod)

It's not very enforceable either... How do you determine if a mod is big enough?
If you politely ask someone to make a mod collection thread and they refuse, what exactly would you do? Delete their mods? Go about making a collection thread for them?

This also seems like it would promote cramming more crap into mods just so they aren't considered small. We'll get even more hobglob overhauls that fail to be updated.

It's a good rule in theory, but maybe it should be a suggestion instead of a rule.
There has to be a more effective solution to the problem of too many mods on the list.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Evul on February 19, 2015, 02:12:53 PM
- Please avoid spamming mods in the release board. If you have multiple minor mods (e.g. a mod that only changes one or two things and does not change the game overall) make a mod collection thread instead. We have had problems with people posting large numbers of tiny mods, and want to make sure there's room to see everyone's work.
Can we get a definition of what constitutes a minor mod? I've got one that doesn't quite fit: RTG's. That mod only adds 2 things, so it fits the first part, but since they are made with a mineable resource and are fairly good power generators that also provide heating, I believe they change the game just enough to not fit the final part of the current definition you've got.

I've also got a problem with having to list our mods into a single thread while other modders who create single small mods don't have to. Because of this, my small mods are lumped into a thread called "ItchyFlea's Small Mods" which at a glance doesn't tell you what is in there at all. While others can give their threads the name of their mod, and mod names are a pretty good indicator of what's contained within that thread.
Basically the visibility of my mods is being adversely affected simply because I've made a lot of mods and simply cannot place all their names into the thread title.

I'm not complaining, as I understand the reasoning behind why this new rule exists. I just don't think it's a good way to solve the issue of multiple small mods created by a single modder.

Come to think of it I could fix the visibility of my smaller mods simply by giving them up. Which puts me in the position of possibly having to make a horrible choice. Keep my mods under my name and as result keep them hidden under the small mod thread, or give them up so that they can see the light of day again....
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Igabod

My thought was that "small mods" meant anything that just makes small adjustments but doesn't actually add anything new to the game. My "Fast Floors" mod being a prime example. Another example would be the "Darkness" mod which (at the time of my last checking the thread) only changes some values and adds nothing new in the way of events or items.

skullywag

This is a stopgap as best, numbers of modders is going to increase eventually to the point where even if everyone uses 1 thread for their mods itll be too much, another option needs to be thought of imo. I have an idea but im not sure if it steps on toes. Im a professional website developer, I could quite easily come up with a website complete with search that would allow the display of modded content.

I use a CMF (content management framework) called Drupal, its highly configurable and is very quick to spin up.

I am however not going to do this if it does step on peoples toes, I may however build it for my mods as I feel I can display better info and have it highly searchable, could be a good prototype for anyone whos toes do feel their being stepped on to check out.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Igabod

Quote from: skullywag on February 21, 2015, 04:27:54 PM
This is a stopgap as best, numbers of modders is going to increase eventually to the point where even if everyone uses 1 thread for their mods itll be too much, another option needs to be thought of imo. I have an idea but im not sure if it steps on toes. Im a professional website developer, I could quite easily come up with a website complete with search that would allow the display of modded content.

I use a CMF (content management framework) called Drupal, its highly configurable and is very quick to spin up.

I am however not going to do this if it does step on peoples toes, I may however build it for my mods as I feel I can display better info and have it highly searchable, could be a good prototype for anyone whos toes do feel their being stepped on to check out.

The problem is we would need someone to maintain that list. I would gladly volunteer if not for the fact that I'll be way too busy for the next few months. And I've already volunteered to work on updating the wiki list once I finish updating my mods. However, if someone were to maintain that list at least as much as I maintained the Alpha 8 mod list then it would be a great solution in my mind.

skullywag

why have someone do it, you just do it yourselves. You create a login, add your thread for your mod, fill in some info (tags, categories, links to download etc) hit submit. Simples. Ill do the rest with simple list views that are searchable/sortable. As an example, You add which Alpha the mod is compatiable with, you narrow your filters to show only A9, it shows you only A9 stuff, its all very simple to do. Ill knock something up when I can with my stuff on it so people can see what im talking about.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

RemingtonRyder

Awesome. Can't wait to see it. :)