Prioritize entire construction job

Started by tommytom, February 19, 2015, 05:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommytom

Especially annoying for things like graves that don't need materials. If you prioritize to build it, they just complete the "blueprint" and dont actually construct it. You then have to prioritize the construction. example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XlA6sKWrasQ#t=1622

For things that need a lot of materials, you have to prioritize each haul of materials until it has enough, prioritize again to complete the blueprint (I think), then prioritize once more to actually start constructing.

The only issue with this is having constructors haul materials when a hauler can do it, but I think you can't even make a non-constructor haul materials to a blueprint. This would negate the negative of having a constructor haul materials to a blueprint instead of haulers. Could be wrong though.

monkeystyxx

Totally agree with this. If I tell a colonist to prioritise something, I want them to prioritise the whole job - until further progress is impossible (running out of materials, etc). Not the next individual task like hauling materials to it.

Same with power lines/walls. If I prioritise one section of power lines or a wall being constructed, it'd be good if they prioritised all connected power lines/wall sections too. Not just that one particular section. If he dies of starvation because the player has told him to prioritise construction of a power line which runs the entire length of the map, that's the player's fault. ;)

Mithradates

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about this game.

Please, in the name of all of the Gods, fix this.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

MrSurvivor

Yes it's extremely annoying when they do something and you have to tell them to do it again, and again, and again, AND AGAIN. IT JUST PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH! Also same as mining I want them to mine the whole chunk instead of just one block.

Johnny Masters

Yeah, i've brought up a couple of times that a "force job- right-click option for "x" amount of time" would be nice. Like you right click with your pawn over the minable ore and then it says "force job for 6 hours" and then for the next 6 hours he would only mine until there was nothing left to mine, then normal behavior is resumed.

I think it needs to work under a timeframe else you'd risk obsessive behavior that would require some extra management to restore to default. After all, the idea is so you don't have to babysit your guys so much, so returning to normal behavior after a set amount of time would be really nice.

tommytom

Quote from: Johnny Masters on February 21, 2015, 05:35:08 PM
Yeah, i've brought up a couple of times that a "force job- right-click option for "x" amount of time" would be nice. Like you right click with your pawn over the minable ore and then it says "force job for 6 hours" and then for the next 6 hours he would only mine until there was nothing left to mine, then normal behavior is resumed.

I think it needs to work under a timeframe else you'd risk obsessive behavior that would require some extra management to restore to default. After all, the idea is so you don't have to babysit your guys so much, so returning to normal behavior after a set amount of time would be really nice.
True, but I wouldn't mind them quitting to go sleep/eat, but I know there are situations where you need to wake someone or catch them before they eat (after they wake up naturally).

Unless you just mean something like marking 100 tiles for mining and you wanted your grower to do 10 blocks and go back to growing, but I think that situation would be rare.

Anyways, that's a bit side-tracked. My original idea was for constructions only. i.e. you send your best constructor to work on 1-100 constructions and he gets the job done until out of materials. I'm completely fine with that. Actually, overly happy with that as all I care about is ONE job. e.g. you want that freezer put into that hole you just put in the wall when it's 130F outside. I don't care WHO finishes that job, but somebody better do it and not require me to click 5-10 times, pausing the game over and over, etc etc.

Mithradates

Quote from: tommytom on February 21, 2015, 06:02:15 PM
Quote from: Johnny Masters on February 21, 2015, 05:35:08 PM
I don't care WHO finishes that job, but somebody better do it and not require me to click 5-10 times, pausing the game over and over, etc etc.

This is, in my opinion, by far the most annoying thing about Rimworld ever.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

tommytom

Just realized maybe the problem is with having manual priorities, but seriously the automatic priorities are dumb. Like only one colonist, out of starting three, mining and the other two idling because they aren't particularly good miners. What is better? Someone swinging a pick 10x slower or just walking about?

Edit:
Don't feel this deserves an entirely new topic, but this would be awesome too:
Force prioritizing a job even if reserved.
Make it 2 extra clicks or mark it red or something. Silly that you have to pause the game, go find that one guy that has it reserved that is miles away, draft him, go back to the other guy, make him prioritize it now, undraft the other guy, unpause.

Glaucus

Agreed, however this stems from generally poor AI governing resources, it does totally wreck the game for me, as it requires constant micro managing.

Mining seems to take priority over everything, even if there's enough metal for construction, yet missing 200 wood. Means you have to go in to overview and force them to cut. And generally everything takes priority over cooking.

This really is the single biggest issue that's needs sorting out in the game. Just some basic we are short of X we will go do that.