[1.0/1.1/1.2] Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering 2.42 (27.08.2020)

Started by Ykara, February 19, 2015, 05:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like the changes in Version 2.0?

Yes
459 (83.3%)
Not all of them
72 (13.1%)
Not at all (please explain why!)
20 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 551

Madman666

Quote from: Ykara on February 25, 2017, 05:31:24 AM
To the idea of bionic sternums: The idea of it giving more armor to a colonist or simply having more hitpoints than the natural one seems intriguing of course, but I'm afraid it isn't doable at the time, because there is no slot in the hediffDefs for armor. And the hitpoints of the bionic replacements are always the same as their natural counterparts, so as long as I don't raise their hitpoints too I can't do anything about it unfortunately.

And to the scar fixing: If you have followed the mod you might remember that it actually had an option to fix scars until Alpha 13. But then the assembly didn't get updated anymore and there was no other option to fix scars at that time.  But I'm aware that there are now XML solutions to this problem, so I'll look into that and see if it works as intended.
Thank you again for all your feedback, I really appreciate it!

You just don't know how much we appreciate your mod! I pretty much can't play without it now - I hate permanent disabilites too much. So if feedback is needed - we all more than happy to oblige!)

The part hp and armor problem is a sad reality indeed - A Dog said author mentioned that too - when some people wanted armored cyber wargs. But bionic part that don't bleed is already very good start for robot human)) Can you make parts that literally replace neck and torso, to make unbleeding easy to fix up android?) If you could replace absolutely anything including neck, torso, head etc. you could have your very own Arni Schwarz version in Rimworld))

Sebastian Cigar

Quote from: Madman666 on February 25, 2017, 05:43:21 AM
Can you make parts that literally replace neck and torso, to make unbleeding easy to fix up android?) If you could replace absolutely anything including neck, torso, head etc. you could have your very own Arni Schwarz version in Rimworld))
You can replace a pawn's natural torso with the Exoskeleton suit "implant".
And perhaps it would make more sense to turn the Silent Jaw  into Silent Neck or something-- sounds stupid, I know. It's just that I don't see how our jaws control what sounds our larynx makes... without blocking the pharynx completely, that is. But the eating and breathing processes of a silenced pawn are nominal unless hindered by an injury/ailment of some sort, so...
Other than that, I don't think your idea is viable, atleast for now. Replacing the inner ear, the optic nerve, and brain implanting — I can see how that's done.  You could replace the calvaria (skull cap) or the more vulnerable part of our skull - the occipital bone, the one at the back of your skull, but that'd be just pointless in Rimworld; as it was just stated by the mod author, currently there is no way to define a body part's chance to repel damage. Secondly, Rimworld medics can "set" skull cracks easily, there's no skill requirement for that and there are no consequences of having it set poorly. And lastly, the skull doesn't bleed, so, again, could be a senseless addition at this point. If you want to have your pawns' head tissue made of living metal (WH40k-like, or a-la the Colossus from X-Men) or mechanical stuff similar to what's featured in the newest Ghost in the Shell trailers, then I guess you have to make a mod request, or perhaps visit the Glittertech thread, because that kind of things would seem too futuristic for EPOE. The Glittertech mod already has "Cybernetic" organs that are 2x as efficient.

Madman666

@Sebastian Cigar

I am pretty sure that exoskeleton doesn't "replace" torso perse, but just adds bonuses to it and bonuses aren't exactly what I am after. Shots will still hit torso and make it bleed. And torso has the most chance to be hit obviously, so replacing it with something that does not bleed could be a great bonus even if you can't buff health or armor of the part. Same with head really - if a bullet doesn hit ears, eyes, nose or brain - it goes just to "head" and as such makes it bleed. Bionics themselves are already futuristic enough to justify existence of full android pawns.

Sebastian Cigar

Quote from: Madman666 on February 25, 2017, 07:39:32 AM
@Sebastian Cigar

I am pretty sure that exoskeleton doesn't "replace" torso perse, but just adds bonuses to it and bonuses aren't exactly what I am after. Shots will still hit torso and make it bleed. And torso has the most chance to be hit obviously, so replacing it with something that does not bleed could be a great bonus even if you can't buff health or armor of the part. Same with head really - if a bullet doesn hit ears, eyes, nose or brain - it goes just to "head" and as such makes it bleed. Bionics themselves are already futuristic enough to justify existence of full android pawns.
I've tested it and, actually, it appears that you're absolutely right. The torso still bleeds, and it does not get 'replaced' with the Exoskeleton suit, hah. I never paid much attention to that somehow.
Well, anyways, I don't believe that this mod will ever feature anything beyond what Adam Jensen's body looks like, that'd be just too much in my opinion.
Let's see what Ykara thinks of this, though, it's their mod after all. Frankly, I wouldn't mind creating a Frankenstein's (bionic) Monster either.

Ykara

Quote from: Madman666 on February 25, 2017, 05:43:21 AM
You just don't know how much we appreciate your mod! I pretty much can't play without it now - I hate permanent disabilites too much. So if feedback is needed - we all more than happy to oblige!)

The part hp and armor problem is a sad reality indeed - A Dog said author mentioned that too - when some people wanted armored cyber wargs. But bionic part that don't bleed is already very good start for robot human)) Can you make parts that literally replace neck and torso, to make unbleeding easy to fix up android?) If you could replace absolutely anything including neck, torso, head etc. you could have your very own Arni Schwarz version in Rimworld))
Thank you very much, it's nice to know that people still enjoy the mod!
I already tried to create a bionic torso a long time ago, but there is one fundamental problem: When a bodypart is replaced with a bionic, all bodyparts that are either in or attached to said part are removed. For example if you replace a natural arm with a bionic one, it removes the hand, the fingers and all bones in it. So if you replace the torso, it also removes all the organs, all the bones and all limbs - and that is rather unpractical.
The solution I came up with is the exoskeleton suit, which works fine the way I intended it to work, but of course can't stop bleeding or provide additional hitpoints.
It's unfortunate that there are so many restrictions with XML modding. Sebastian Cigar is right, this mod won't feature too many bionics beyond what Adam Jensens body has to offer, because of both the difficulty to add new and complicated mechanisms like going full terminator and my philosophy behind this mod. I wanted to add new possibilities to enhance your colonists, not replace them with robots ^^
But don't worry, I still have some nice surprises up the sleeve for 2.0, I hope it will be something you like ^^

Madman666

Oh so that what the problem was. I figured it was something like autoremoval of parts that attached to target part. Too bad I guess. Bionics still kinda upgrade survivability a bit by not bleeding and also by increased speed, so I'll just be glad we have that)). And I am 100% sure I'll like what you have in store for us!) In fact I am probably more sure I'll like it, then you are))

erathia

Maybe that vancidium was gimmickery, but it was an endgame material and was perfectly balanced to my taste, replacing it with uranium (even at same value per unit) make it less shiny to me, and less work is put into making them, i think at least.

I tested 2.0 and downgraded to  1.91 after one 8 hour game... sry :/

Madman666

Balanced? 50k silver for one spear made from it on a visitor\trader is balanced? You know that you could rob a trader with it, smelt the thing and kit out half of your guys with advanced bionic right? Just one visitor with vancidium coming to your map early game and dying for various reasons could spike your wealth to leave you fighting next raid of 15 people with 3 colonists? Its anything but balanced. don't get me wrong - I liked ridiculous prices and hp on the stuff very much, but potential for exploiting exotic traders with sculptures of this stuff is insane. Thats not what you call balanced.

erathia

Did not see the problematic that way...
Cant we stop the game from generating melee weps from specific stuff?

Madman666

Quote from: erathia on February 26, 2017, 09:25:22 AM
Did not see the problematic that way...
Cant we stop the game from generating melee weps from specific stuff?

I don't think so... If its listed and recognized as "stuff" you can make things from, they'll pop up in visiting pawns inventories. Raiders and trader guards already can't have spears and other weapons of vancidium because they have fixed maximum money "they can spend" on having weapons and its just not enough to afford it, but since "inventory" items aren't restricted they'll bring it with them from time to time, the way you can encounter golden weapons on traders. But I think I never saw golden items on visitors, so maybe it is possible to restrict them, I don't know.

Trigon

One of my favorite pawns is still just a guy with a hook hand who does little else than clean, ineptly fire a shotgun at raiders, and then take a swing at them after inevitably missing. I know a lot of people love the serious super bionic soldier folks but I love the fact your mod gives me the option for that sort of stuff. Just wanted to speak out and show my appreciation even though I've had your mod forever I feel I've never actually posted here to say how much I thoroughly enjoy it.

Madman666

We all have at least one pirate (janitor) with peg leg, hook hand and a golden eye!)

WhiteGoblin

Ykara, after reading your above post I wanted to login and thank you personally for your work. This mod is amazing and has greatly extended the lifetime of RimWorld for me. It really should just be part of the default game, it's that good. I love the changes in 2.0 to use Uranium, it makes sense & finally we have a reason to value it. I also love the little things you've thought about like the bionic jaws without voice boxes for abrasive characters, that's a ingenious addition. I posted a rather long tale of a world [link 1 (text), link 2 (video)] though the thing that got Reddit's attention and there for actually became semi-popular for a hot internet second was a screenshot from your mod. The late game expansion work you've done here is impressive & has really kept me playing this alpha far longer than I expected.

Your comments about not replacing colonists with robots is really interesting to me. The way my current world is going (100+ hours) I've been slowly trying to turn everybody (I keep 20 constant colonists per base) into cyborgs. Before I discovered your mod it was not that hard, I maxed out pretty instantly & recorded the video from above to show off a colony of terminators. Though bored out of my skull with the lack of late game content I discovered your mod and wow! Now I've spent an insanely long time crafting 240 replacement ribs & slowly converting everybody over into at this point Star Trek Borgs. As shown in that screenshot, I have one complete fully upgraded character as per your current version of the mod. Though I'm slowly working my way through to getting everybody that way. I really enjoy how long it takes, I know that sounds odd, but it's late game content, it would be boring if it wasn't a super grind for this type of enhancement. It's not that it needs to be painful to do, but you've got a decent balance established. Long tech trees, very expensive items, and benefits that make some people question the journey in the first place. That's what i'm talking about, that's what every late game content gamer in the world strives for. The insanity they had to go through for that little bit of gain that makes them better then everybody else. It's a drive mechanism in gaming development that I feel you're pretty close to dead on.

Lore wise, I'm calling in trading caravans every single time I can, moving thousand pile stacks of yayo & flake every transaction, and the problem I have is finding the synthread, hyperweave, & uranium. It's not that I don't have piles and piles of silver to pay for it with. It makes sense in my head that advanced glitterworld tech would totally be dispersed throughout the universe though not be something you can easily meddle with yourself or really always find avaiable. The multiple crafting tables, the inability to produce all the prerequisite items yourself, the long tech tree, it's all where it needs to be. Though personally, and I cannot speak for everybody else out there, but I'd love to see even more stuff added to the late game. I know your philosophy was not to create the Borg of RimWorld but I'd absolutely love to see some monster 100,000 silver, hell 250,000 silver enhancements. Just off the top of my head, being able to take one of those AI cores, put "a character" inside it, then put that AI core inside a full on new robotic body. It would give a second use to the AI cores in the game & would really expand on that late game content again. I added up all the silver it's going to take for the full 20 character borg run and it's like 2.5 million before I gave up nitpicking on how expensive each day is in the game while getting there. The point is, I don't see a problem with this at all or mind the time it's going to take. I love it. I guess what I'm really doing here is asking you to keep an open mind about how far you can push this mod's content. The players are out here, we're waiting to consume your creative output & we deeply appreciate the time you put into it.  :)

Thank you for everything!

'Goblin

Edit: spelling, I should learn how to do that.

Madman666