[1.0/1.1/1.2] Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering 2.42 (27.08.2020)

Started by Ykara, February 19, 2015, 05:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like the changes in Version 2.0?

Yes
459 (83.3%)
Not all of them
72 (13.1%)
Not at all (please explain why!)
20 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 551

MechanoidHater

After updating the mod I cant use my save. I got the messages about missing defs about glass eye and crystal eye. Why did you removed them in the first place?

Dr. Z

CR already has an EPOE fix on their mod page which works hust fine.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Grimandevil

Quote from: MechanoidHater on December 25, 2015, 02:27:13 PM
After updating the mod I cant use my save. I got the messages about missing defs about glass eye and crystal eye.
maybe if u got any of them installed or produced, try to remove em and destroy.
i had an error message the first time, but as i havent produced any, everything seems ok.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Ykara

After updating the mod I cant use my save. I got the messages about missing defs about glass eye and crystal eye. Why did you removed them in the first place?

I don't quite understand. Does the savegame load? Because if the message is visible then the save most likely works, it's just Rimworld bitching about that something has changed. If you don't have a glass or a crystal eye installed or produced, there shouldn't be any problems. And if you do, just use the older version to remove the eye and then update. And I've explained why I have removed them in the update post, they were just making too many problems with the unfinished item system.

Quote from: Dr. Z on December 25, 2015, 02:57:49 PM
CR already has an EPOE fix on their mod page which works hust fine.
Ohh, yes, I've totally forgotten ^^ Thanks, you saved me some time ^^

MechanoidHater

Quote from: Ykara on December 25, 2015, 06:11:19 PM

I don't quite understand. Does the savegame load? Because if the message is visible then the save most likely works, it's just Rimworld bitching about that something has changed. If you don't have a glass or a crystal eye installed or produced, there shouldn't be any problems. And if you do, just use the older version to remove the eye and then update. And I've explained why I have removed them in the update post, they were just making too many problems with the unfinished item system.

The save loads but everything is black and the debug log is filled with messages about crystall eyes. And I haven't made one.

Grimandevil

Quote from: MechanoidHater on December 26, 2015, 08:03:21 AM
The save loads but everything is black and the debug log is filled with messages about crystall eyes. And I haven't made one.
any open bills in the tables?
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Sens

After finishing my first playthrough of vanilla, when i got bored of fending off the guys i killed 120 times before already,
i was looking for mods that would add new interesting stuff to the game, especially in the medical and craft department, so
when i first saw the name expanded prostetics and organ engineering mod i was like THIS EXACTLY!!! so, all happy i went on making next
colony, was expecting simple addon, being able to harvest limbs and stuff, to my surprise i was able to do alot more :)

So around 20 hours deep into the new colony, the guys lvled up sufficiently and i finally managed to setup a proper defense and everything the colony needed to survive (extreme difficulty),

when i first saw the rib upgrades i was like:

i really hope the guy made only one available to upgrade but sadly no, 12 ribs were upgradable and that for ridicoulous low amount of resources, so i decided to "only" upgrade 3, since it already felt like cheating anyway, by now he had all normal bionics on him including the normal bionical spine, joywire,
painstopper, decided not to upgrade to brainpals either, did go and upgraded all to advanced bionics, including adv. power arms
however i didnt change the way i played, so for another 60 hours i havent rly checked his strenght, i simply went perfecting
my colony, better materials, defenses, chunks all around base, shitload of turrets to fend of increasing raid difficulty, then
around 80 hours of playtime spent on colony, one raid of high tech pirates revealed something which was rly sad... i used my
"fully" upgraded guy with adv. power arms to snipe from far or to use charge rifle from behind cover when raided, was fun, now he couldnt do that and instead of loading i decided to check how he could do in melee... so this bounch of 6+ or more high tech pirates landed inside my colony right next to him and he, holding his sniper rifle without any personal shield looked like an
easy target (he had 20 ranged, only 7 melee skill) before they could do anything, 3 were one hitted to death, rest started to flee, i was like what the... was used to core game balance
and didnt expect such strenght, he was faster then the 3 rockets being fired at him, could evade that, could hit before anyone hits him, could.... felt like total cheating, lost all will to continue this colony and went straight to this forum to point it
out, this kind of thing takes all fun away, i checked later, this guy alone could shoot thumbo 2x with sniper rifle and finish
it off in melee (without taking any dmg), he could fend of any wave alone without help of turrets, chunks or terrain, where is the fun in this, it feels like total cheating to me, cant get over it and just continue to play, the mod needs serious balancing, for example:

The masterwork vancidium longsword i was able to craft is worth 140.000 silver, however it "only" does 11 dps while the
20.000 silver worth 2x adv. power arms enable you to do 29 dps! (huh?) while holding your favorite ranged weapon, feels like total cheating, there are no downsides, he has 240% manipulation, 240% speed among other things now.
Looking forward for balanced and fair version of this mod that would add stuff while not taking away crucial things like planning, tactics etc.., there is no need for advanced bionics, no need for 12 upgradable ribs, the normal bionics are already advanced enough, this is total overpowerment, instead of adv. bionics the mod would be better with a bigger variety of upgrades that have huge downsides too, something like scyther blades in core for example, or super costly upgrades that add just a little, like +1% not 30+%.

This is craft your own god kind of thing as it is now :)

The other thing i would like to point out or ask is, what is the usage for synthetic organs etc... i never lost an organ, i thought i had luck first playthrough but now with more than 160h
spent ingame (80h on challenging, 80h on extreme difficulty - around 240 raids together)
i wonder how can you even lose an organ in first place, mine always heal up. Did lose fingers, legs, ears, eyes etc.. but no organs so far. The prostheses trader is unecessary, never traded with him either.

Removed a couple synthetic organs from raiders and never got one (the doctor skills were 15-20). dont know if its
a bug or not.

All in all i had more fun in vanilla, did actually take time to check incoming raiders one by one if someone has any upgrades
i could use for my guys to try and catch him alive. Love the expanded surgery, like... removing ears legs and stuff, find it cool addition to core, there are minor bugs here too, like the victim is missing a few fingers and you harvest his arm and when u put it on your guy the arm is 100% new with all fingers on it for example, but i can get over that, cant get over unbalanced overpowerment the adv. bionics give you, feels too much like cheating and changes the way game is played and seen completly.

I would suggest you to add huge downsides if you add huge strenght, not just making it cost 10x more since that doesnt rly change much in the longrun. (way too cheap imo, by now i have 700 vancidium in stocks, while just making it aside not rly focusing on its production)

Balancing everything with the core way of playing the game is really important. Not needing to think about anything else than
"drop all upgrades on him" takes most of the fun away, makes it too linear and all it takes is time, no other variables here.
Imo bionics should remain uncraftable, tradeble thing, the rest seems fine. Or, craftable if you manage to capture a special
scientiest from raiders who would be able to craft bionics for you but not just a guy on a far away planet mining steel, etc
being everything from superb commando to high tech engineer, elite surgeon and genius in one. Think in terms of adding minor % upgrades, if you plan on keeping everything inside this mod, like adding 1-3% increase instead of 30%+ people would still love to upgrade, its more about making them better not so much making them gods. I would still add adv. bionics even if they would add as little as +1% to their skills and that for same amount of resources as now. The way it is now, its like enabling a cheat :)

OutcastPurple

How do you install any of the Replacement Ribs? I don't even get options to replace them on people who have shattered ribs. =/ Is there something I need first other then the ribs?

Grimandevil

Ykara

Thanks Sens for your post, it's always nice to read some feedback!
And yes, I do agree that EPOE has a balancing problem, especially regarding the advanced stuff. So I've adressed some of your points and included it in the upcoming update. I've already slightly nerfed the ribs and the advanced prostheses, some of the research projects are now more expensive, crafting vancidium too.
But I don't quite understand why you stopped playing, you completely upgraded your colonist with pretty much every advanced prosthesis, what did you expect? ^^
And regarding that "craft your own god kind of thing" - in my opinion that's a nice side effect. And it isn't cheap either and takes a lot of time. So I kinda like it that my colonists are able to beat down a thrumbo with their fists, it's both rewarding and satisfying.

Sens

Base was already built (like 2x or 3x, changed walls, floors) there was no challenge anymore, i could let my guys sleep and let turrets deal with attackers or send out my superman and he deals with them, got super heavy bored. Done all i could there i guess, had to restart anyway to try out other mods, but cant see myself ever going adv. bionic again now that i know what the result is (too easy  :P)

Took a different aproach now, less focus on base building, more hilarious times ahead. Like: 3 male canibals in desert and a female warg and they decide not to buy a male warg, eat up wanderers that join and stuff like that. Sadly i used pirates this time and now they all wear cuirasses, already looking for next mod hehe, i dont want to craft bionics anymore, like said: takes more away than it offers, find it fun checking incoming attackers for things to harvest, would love to keep just the expanded surgery part, fixing limbs, ears, i think that should be added to core :)

Entropy147

I actually like the advanced prosthetics the way they are now, although I noticed that the melee damage from artificial parts is a bit off for example, a steel arm does 10 damage, and the bionic arm does 9.

Grimandevil

Quote from: Ykara on December 30, 2015, 06:36:19 PM
And regarding that "craft your own god kind of thing" - in my opinion that's a nice side effect. And it isn't cheap either and takes a lot of time.
exactly. which makes u sad when he gets that one lethal 'bullet to the head'.

as a variant, there can be some limitations for installing bionics. like the number of prostethes an unmodified human consciousness can handle (like its done in Shadowrun rpg setting). adding some brain implants that boost consciousness, but disable/affect non-combat proficiencies.

Ykara

Quote from: Grimandevil on December 31, 2015, 11:21:18 AM
And regarding that "craft your own god kind of thing" - in my opinion that's a nice side effect. And it isn't cheap either and takes a lot of time.

as a variant, there can be some limitations for installing bionics. like the number of prostethes an unmodified human consciousness can handle (like its done in Shadowrun rpg setting). adding some brain implants that boost consciousness, but disable/affect non-combat proficiencies.
Wow, that's a really great idea, small consciousness debuffs, like 3% per bionic and 5% for advanced stuff would be a great drawback! I might actually do that!

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Ykara on December 31, 2015, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: Grimandevil on December 31, 2015, 11:21:18 AM

Wow, that's a really great idea, small consciousness debuffs, like 3% per bionic and 5% for advanced stuff would be a great drawback! I might actually do that!

Hey, hey, my super soldier will be reduced to a breathing plant then!
As he said, "an unmodified human consciousness can handle".
If you make it so a brain implant negates these side effects completely, I'd have no problem with it!