If you turned off the Core mod

Started by napalm390, February 19, 2015, 06:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

napalm390

I was trying to figure out how to install mods and I unchecked "core" in the mods section ingame. When I try to start a game, I get a black screen and cannot recheck "core". I thought I could fix this by deleting and reinstalling the game totally, but I still get the black screen. I removed everything I could find to reinstall, but somehow I think it is reusing that setting. My computer uses win 7 if that helps any and never had a problem with it until this mod fiasco.

elStrages

goto this file:( remember that where it says David its your user name)
C:\Users\David\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Config
Open XML:(will open in notepad)
Open a file called 'ModConfig.xml'
Delete contents then Copy and paste this into it:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModsConfigData>
  <buildNumber>722</buildNumber>
  <activeMods>
    <li>Core</li>
  </activeMods>
</ModsConfigData>

Mod edit:
Updated folder path.  Alternatively, users can go here:
%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Config

harpo99999

the file you NEED to alter is inside the save file area called \config\ModsConfig.xml where the saves are in \saves\*.rwm.
and the path to the files is the windows drive\users\'USER NAME FROM WINDOWS'\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld.
you can either re-name the modsconfig OR delete it and rimworld will re-create the file

napalm390

Thank you very much elStrages, mental break averted!

elStrages

Rock5

This sounds like a bug. The game should be able to start and show the start screen where you can choose your mods without requiring 'core' which is listed amongst those mods. Just saying.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Enjoyment

Rock5, I don't think it's a bug. At the moment a 99% of the mods is a mods of a core game indeed. But we already have a couple of mods, that alters the whole game mechanics and requires a core mod to be disabled. It's a common practice along mod-friendly games. Maybe, we need a big disclaimer in mod menu like "DON'T turn off the core mod, unless you needed, the game WON'T start if you do"..
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...

Rock5

But does the core mod need to change anything in the starting screen? Seems to me the core mod should be about everything that happens after you start the game not before. So nothing that is needed to bring up  the starting screen should be in the core mod. Sorry, if I don't know what I'm talking about.

On another note, what mods require you to disable the core mod? I'd be interested to have a look at them. I haven't seen them in my normal browsing (unless I did see them but didn't see that they needed the core mod disabled).
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

StorymasterQ

I think I agree with what Rock5 is saying (if I'm interpreting it correctly). So, the game up to opening the Mods window should not even require the Core 'mod'. This is so players can access the Mods window and reenable Core.

I think, the best way for now is to entirely disable the disabling of Core. If and when another Mod can act as a replacement of Core (I do recall some of them are like this, but very few and far between), then Core and those Mods should have something in them (say, <meta>Core</meta>). The game can then make sure that at least (also at most?) 1 mod with the <meta>Core</meta> attribute is active.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

petlun

I have the same problem (did the same mistake of un clicking the core button). But i have it on Mac. Can you please help???

Galleg

Hi guys.

Similar problem here. I have restaured the computer to a previous version. Deleted all the files, and many crazy things trying to fix it. Right now I dont even have a folder called Ludon games or Rimworld/config I have redownload the game several times. But now I dont have an appdata folder. Dont know what else can I do. I'm playing on that Windows 8.1, and was even thinking on waiting for the new release (alfa 10 or something). Any advise, any trick I can do?
Thanks and greetings!

harpo99999

the appdata folder is a HIDDEN folder, that to see you NEED to go into the folder options (in control panel) and turn ON show hidden folders

Galleg

Yes! You're a hero! I was really close to dismantle all my computer, and I've probably break many things in the process. Thanks a lot! I will build a statue in your honor at the center of my new colony.
Thanks!

rcantb

Thank you so much for this help as well. I was getting really close to the break point as well. I would definitely set up the game in the next patch to give users the ability to simply reboot the game if they turn off core mod to enable it again.

nccvoyager

Just in case anybody has difficulty finding the folder, or doesn't want to change the "show hidden folders" option, here is the navigation location using the userprofile environment variable.

%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Config

Additionally, for those using the Steam version, you may need to disable Steam cloud sync before you can successfully complete the process.