Segmented Stockpiles

Started by Shanks, February 19, 2015, 03:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanks

In pre-A9 versions you could cut up a stockpile into smaller pieces that was still treated as one unit. The color, priority, and acceptable goods were set for all the pieces at the same time, but by separating them you could allow paths through a storage/beacon area for quicker access and efficient movement.

I just tried to cut a stockpile up in A9 but when I do one of the parts (the smaller I think) disappears leaving only one smaller stockpile. I did a quick search through the Kickstater update, the changelog (since Dec 10 when A8 was released) and the forums but found no mention of this being changed or of other people noticing/experiencing/being bothered by this issue. Did I just miss it? Was this an intentional change? Or should this be moved to the bug forums?

skullywag

Yeah this was removed to combat an issue with zones being inside and outside at the same time.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

milon

Changelog:
Quote from: Jan 14It is no longer to possible to create or have non-contiguous zones.

JimmyAgnt007

I get why this was done, but its a tad annoying.  Wish it could be done where it would check to see it was all in the same room instead.  I never realized the indoor/outdoor problem was a thing.  Just means I need to reorganize how I do things.

theapolaustic1

Would be nice if there were a "copy last" tool or something for stockpiles. I did the same thing as you, and it keeps messing with me because I try to "save time" and end up making it harder on me.

OldVamp

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on February 19, 2015, 12:36:23 PM
Would be nice if there were a "copy last" tool or something for stockpiles. I did the same thing as you, and it keeps messing with me because I try to "save time" and end up making it harder on me.

EdB interface Mod https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5258 can copy paste stockpile settings
It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

Shanks

Thanks for the changelog quote, milon; I searched for "stockpiles" instead of "zones" and missed that.

What was the issue with having a zone inside and outside?

JimmyAgnt007

i dont think there was before, but now that clothing and such go bad when outside it would mess with the game logic to have a zone covering both.

DeMatt

Quote from: Shanks on February 19, 2015, 12:50:36 PMWhat was the issue with having a zone inside and outside?
One of the optimizations done was to switch "check for growing temperature" from a per-cell check to a per-zone check, as stated in here.  If a zone could have a part inside and a part outside, then the check could be wrong for one part or the other, depending on which was checked.

Just one example.  I'm sure there are more issues that I don't know about.

Rock5

It's a shame because it was a nice feature. It would have been nice if they found some other way to deal with the indoor/outdoor issue. In fact I would have liked the ability to merge multiple separate zones into one without them having to start as one zone.

Hang on a second, how does it deal with part of a stockpile being open to the sky and another part covered? I'm pretty sure weather damage doesn't happen to items under roofs. So you would still have the same issue right?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport