Equipp-Sets for the pawns

Started by HattoriHanzo, February 20, 2015, 07:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HattoriHanzo

Howdy!

Now that clothes can be worn out after some time, wouldn't it be nice to create "gear-classes" for your colonists?

I admit, that's an idea from the game "Gnomoria", but that would make a lot of unnecessary micromanagement obsolete.

Explanation:

You creat 2 (in this example, should be possible to create more/as much as you want) "gear-classes": "soldier" and "worker".
You than decide, that "workers" wear shirts, pants, and a jacket. It should be possible, just like in the workbanches, to decide, which material they should wear.
"Soldiers" than get shirt, pants, kevlar helmet and vest and a weapon (choosable which weapon).

Further you should be able to decide, which quality the item at least should have.
Should be doable like the other decission-markers in craftingtables, storages etc.

Than you just group your pawns to "soldiers" or "workers" and they get their gear automaticly, if there is gear available.
If gear is missing, you get a yellow pop-up-message.

Any thoughts?

Hoovytaurus

That'd actually be pretty nice. Not sure how hard it would be to implement, though.

Johnny Masters

I've been tossing a similar idea here for some time, except i call it save loadout/templates/whatever. Since i got zero to none feedback i thought no one liked the idea of having less click-work

but yeah, +26 to equipp-sets/loadouts/templates/auto-equip stuff

Tynan

I have wanted to do an apparel selection AI for a while now. This is a great way of expressing that.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

HattoriHanzo

Thank you for your answer Tynan! I'm looking forward to see what you're doing with this concern :)

Kingmob

I think this can also be tied to maybe season? Enable your pawns to have a closet full of clothes for different seasons and/or situations. So you could for instance tell everyone to only wear parkas in the winter and otherwise they'll store them in their room. If not in their room, they will try to get one from a stockpile and otherwise you get a popup.

Similar to dwarf fortress, you could have them 'gear up' once they get drafted. This way you can get more creative and realistic with the drawbacks of different types of clothing and weapons. Maybe a knife can be carried by all without penalty, but a rifle slows you down. You can choose to not wear Kevlar unless you get drafted, but gearing up obviously takes valuable time.

Imho, in the long run the game is most fun if you micromanage your pawns as little as possible. You only give them the rules.

HattoriHanzo

QuoteI think this can also be tied to maybe season? Enable your pawns to have a closet full of clothes for different seasons and/or situations. So you could for instance tell everyone to only wear parkas in the winter and otherwise they'll store them in their room

This is allready done via mod ;)

Kingmob

Quote from: HattoriHanzo on February 26, 2015, 09:21:49 AM
QuoteI think this can also be tied to maybe season? Enable your pawns to have a closet full of clothes for different seasons and/or situations. So you could for instance tell everyone to only wear parkas in the winter and otherwise they'll store them in their room

This is allready done via mod ;)
Well, I don't think suggestions are for how you want to play perse, but more on how you think the base-game should be. Imo mods should mostly add items/events/aliens that sorta thing, to spice things up. I consider this a base feature.

Additionally, I just realized that you could implement tools as well. With this system it would also make sense then that people cannot just always carry big guns. You can't carry a rifle AND a drill (but the drill could be a fun melee weapon ;))