Alpha 10... A ways out, but already got some suggestions :)

Started by litenthadark, February 19, 2015, 04:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

litenthadark

Hello there again! I know that Alpha 9 was JUST released, but I was thinking of a few ideas that you might consider for later builds!

1. Fog of War: Your colonists don't know the entire area and what's going on around them! Unless objects are within your colonists sightline, they can't be seen. At night, it gets worse. The way to improve this and allow for areas to be monitored is to build cameras, or use lights outside at night. The affect would be far more interesting, as raiders would need spotters for their mortars, giving you more options than either attacking them or just taking the shells.

2. Ancient Race: Like the cryosleep caskets, except instead of people, this ancient race left behind booby traps guarding sensitive and valuable technology. Watch your step!

3. Hand carts and tools: Hand carts slow down a pawn, but allow them to gather 3 times as much materials in one trip. A pawn would equip it like a weapon, but their weapon remains equipped. Tools like pickaxes, axes, hammers, and hoes to increase different skill work speeds.

4. Colony "Leader": Designate a single pawn as your leader at the start of the game. The higher his social skill, the happier the colony is and the easier it is for people to endure hardship. However, if the leader is killed, it has a severe negative effect.

5. Different medicine for different wounds: This is more of a simple thing, but the way the combat and damage system works I felt it might be more appropriate to have different types of Medicine. You have a first aid kit, which is simple, can be used by anyone, and can patch up simple wounds. Then you have a medical kit, which, unless used by someone with a medical skill of 5 or higher, has an increased chance for a negative effect. Last but not least, you have the GW Medical Kit, a top-of-the-line kit that can treat ANYTHING with 100% satisfaction guaranteed... as long as your medical skill is above 10.

6. Last but not least, trade between colonies. I feel having a more diplomatic system with the other colonies will lead to more fleshed out lore and conversations, as well as dealing with tension, or having a colony declare war on yours. Just a thought :P

LOVE the alpha 9 update so far, and am definitely looking forward to seeing what other suggestions and mods pop up this time around! Thanks for reading :)

~Litenthadark

MyNameIsSpyder

Possibly you could turn fog of war on/off and also disable raid notifications for Uber Hardcore!

Also height system pls :3

akiceabear

Quote from: MyNameIsSpyder on February 19, 2015, 08:00:22 AM
Possibly you could turn fog of war on/off and also disable raid notifications for Uber Hardcore!

I've been hoping for something like this, and all the related traits/tech, since I first played. Hope vanilla or a mod tackle this at some point, although I realize it would require a lot of balance to do properly.

MyNameIsSpyder

Quote from: akiceabear on February 19, 2015, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: MyNameIsSpyder on February 19, 2015, 08:00:22 AM

I've been hoping for something like this, and all the related traits/tech, since I first played. Hope vanilla or a mod tackle this at some point, although I realize it would require a lot of balance to do properly.
Yeah, it would be cool to build a tower only to have a boomrat set the wooden foundations on fire, and have your colonists who are sleeping on the 20th floor fall into the flames.

akiceabear

sorry - I specifically meant fog of war, not height. based on this board, I think there is zero chance of z levels in this game.

MyNameIsSpyder

Quote from: akiceabear on March 03, 2015, 02:28:37 AM
sorry - I specifically meant fog of war, not height. based on this board, I think there is zero chance of z levels in this game.
What would a FoW trait be?

akiceabear

Eagle eye - longer vision than others but still restricted to line of sight cone.
Short sighted - opposite
Extra sensory perception - widens cone of view beyond 180 degrees, allows limited view around corners/through walls.
Tunnel vision - reduces cone of view.

Just a few first thoughts…

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kegereneku

I absolutely DO NOT WANT fog of war. Not that I believe it is possible anyway Rimworld isn't a tactical combat game and wouldn't gain from trying to be a bad one.

"Colony Leader" is also a big no. It bring nothing in term of gameplay while depriving the player from the ability to roleplay any form of hierarchy.
My counter proposal on this is always the same :
- Allow to edit the "Colonist" text field into whatever we want (be it paper-Leader or tyrannic-Anarchist)
- Have the game tales system keep this in memory.

Last we don't need to add that sort of complexity to medicine, this would only clutter us with object and micromanagement. We can easily imagine that medicine box contain a wide range of product or that medecine from the far future allow one box to be used for everything.

The rest I have no opinion on.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

tresflores

kegereneku i disagree i think having a leader would make it a lot more fun i always from the start of the game asses my people and determine a self apointed leader it just makes thing more interesting plus i think a little complexity in the medicine area could be amazing especially if the give us those much requested item slots to carry them around with our pawns

M

A Colony "Direction" Tab would be cool.
A tab in which you could select things like:
- All Equals: no pro and cons
- Hierarchy: One is the Head of the colony (bonus and malus) and there could be 2 or 3 other ranks (with respective bonus and malus) and the playser should be able to name those "ranks" as he pleases. Rising or lowering a colonist rank would lead in better or worse mood etc.
- Council: A group of colonists is in charge (bonus and malus) and others are "citizens" or "newcomers" (bonus and malus). Seniority system.

This feature would add great replayability and customization to games.

Kagemusha12

I like suggestions 3, 5 and 6.

It is always strange to see my colonists do mining with no visible tool at hand and no tool having been produced for their mining

At least a distinction between Medpack for wounds and Medpack for diseases would be nice (with a medpack for wounds maybe needing cloth (for bandages) and maybe ethsnol or another plant based antiseptic in order to be produced ... and the medpack for diseases needing one or more healing plants)

It would definitely be nice to get visitors from my other colonies on a planet ... and/or be able to trade with them