Different alien species?

Started by PRS17, February 20, 2015, 12:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRS17

I'm unsure of the complexity with which this could be taken, but my initial idea is that now that the factions are more or less in place have different factions be one of say 6-12 random species of aliens. (We are on an alien planet after all).  Certain species could be very fast and only use claws or bows to hunt you, while others could be cyborgs with advanced technology and still others could be large troll like beings with different assortments of medieval weapons.  Again, I' not sure about the practicality of this, or if it even fits in with the direction of Rimworld, but I thought it sounded interesting and adds a new level of challenge.  Love the game so far!

skullywag

Rimworld lore states there are no aliens. Just genetic mutation and machines. Nothing stopping a modder but doubt itll be in the main game.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Hoovytaurus

I hope Tynan will at least help the modders out and make different species possible - if they aren't possible already, that is. The game clearly states "this person is a human" a lot of times if you look around, which is weird if there will never be other species.

loc978

Pretty sure it's possible with modding already, just need someone with the interest and ability to make 'em.
As for vanilla... Tynan was pretty clear here, right near the top:
RimWorld Universe Quick Primer
QuoteRimWorld does not include:

Faster than light travel.
    True aliens.

Vagabond

Hello,

It has been stated by Tynan that they will not be included. However, I think they'd be a welcome addition. Like plant based aliens that eject pods into space for them to crash into planets. The pods have an alien inside and the pod itself is a terraforming catalyst. The plant people require the growth to spead in order to move about. The aliens themselves try to melee your colonists using vine like appendages that exude a paralytic toxin. Then they infect you with seeds  that eventually spawn a bunch of little aliens.

OR...

Nevermind, that is all I got right now.

Cheers,
Michael

Mithradates

It's been a little while since I read the lore primer...what's the official stance on non-Earthly lifeforms? Flora and Fauna, and such? I know that we sent teraforming probes everywhere, but I can't remember about native plants and creatures. I want to say that 'aliens' means more 'the greys' or whoever else and not simply 'Earth was the only planet with life.'
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

Listy

I always thought two things on this subject:

1: Muffalo, Megascarabs and those trice dammed Boomrats are aliens... right? So more non-sentient aliens would be fun. A larger variety would be nice.

2:An idea I swiped whole heartedly off the TV show Primeval. What about Earth creatures that have evolved? Or even GELF's?

Coenmcj

Quote from: Listy on February 21, 2015, 02:49:01 AM
2:An idea I swiped whole heartedly off the TV show Primeval. What about Earth creatures that have evolved? Or even GELF's?

Sweet void gods of mercy Absolute destruction... This! Still no like button!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Klitri

The description of most of the animals in the game state that they're evolved versions of earthly animals, implying that the terraforming bots sent normal animals at first, but the animals adapted to the new rimworld planets. They're not non-sentient aliens.

Eleazar

I don't care what the explaination is, I'd like to see more creatures like the majestic muffallo, and megascarab, and less familiar earth species.

MrSurvivor

Well maybe if they don't want to add any aliens they should at least add more mechanoids than the just ever so tanky centipede and the op scythers.

Captain Sho

I suppose all the different "traits" are suppose to make up for the lack of true aliens but i do wish there different races like in FTL.

Listy

Quote from: Eleazar on February 21, 2015, 11:50:01 AM
I don't care what the explaination is, I'd like to see more creatures like the majestic muffallo, and megascarab, and less familiar earth species.

I want to see a MegaKomodo dragon!

Research material can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGdA0EzlDSE

Mithradates

I'd be fine with Xenohumans, as per the lore. Just don't make them take up trait slots. I want a Gravity Giant (which should have some benefit, even though they are weaker - maybe reach?)
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

Adamiks

RimWorld does not include aliens? But even on Europa we can find live! Even Mars had the water (and still have)...