Childbirth?

Started by Captain47, February 20, 2015, 07:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain47

Could it be possible to implement childbirth as a feature in one of the next builds?

Does anyone know if this is a mod of some sort at present? This seems like it could add a whole new level to the game.

Vagabond

tommytom

Who wants crying babies everywhere? Not me.
I know DF had them and it kinda would be cool, but I'd much rather see some end-game vatgrown soldier tech to combat increasing raid sizes or casualties.

Mithradates

I vote no; or at least until Alpha 20 or something. I definitely don't want to add children to this game unless the game is going to last long enough for them to grow to be adults. As is, most people who want to be off-world (and survive) do so in under four years on the outside. It also makes the game very dark when pirates are shooting rocket launchers at toddlers.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

Vagabond

Mithradates,

To start: Cool name.

I tend to believe that there will be a better challenge added to the game than simply increasing waves of bad guys comming to try to tear your colony down for the millionth time. Truthfully, it gets old, repetative, and ruins immersion. When you still haven't cleaned up their buddies bodies from the last raid, you'd think they'd second guess raiding your town.

I really hope that isn't the extent of challenge in this game. I have faith that Tynan will do something more creative than that.

As an aside, and this is my personal preference, but I really enjoy darker themes- minus humor.

I think the scenario of the game should be more open to interpretation. Your on a planet and must survive. Why and how you got the planet should be your choice. Your goals should be your choice. Crash landed survivors trying to get ahead enough to build a ship to escape. Native tribe that moved to a new region for X reason. Bandit warlord trying to establish a base of operations.

Having children involved would make it more desperate, because it gives the colonists a further emotional link. It's something they have to protect. It would be easy to make optional as well. Colonist could have two options for  having children: Vat-growing, and procreating. Vat growing would require vats and such. Don't build them, ya don't have kids. Procreation could require a double bed for them to 'do it'. By not having them you'd essentially have a no fraternization policy.

Cheers,
Michael

Captain Sho

I don't see the point of adding children to the game. I mean, for one, the point of the game is to get off the planet not colonize it.
Also, most of my games don't last more than like 3-4 years so what would be the point of having a 3 year old?

If you want a baby just go rescue some guy with a leg missing and never do an operation on him. Just as useless and takes up food.

vagineer1

Quote from: Captain Sho on February 21, 2015, 11:23:32 PM
I don't see the point of adding children to the game. I mean, for one, the point of the game is to get off the planet not colonize it.
Also, most of my games don't last more than like 3-4 years so what would be the point of having a 3 year old?

If you want a baby just go rescue some guy with a leg missing and never do an operation on him. Just as useless and takes up food.

It never said anywhere that the objective was to escape. That is just an option. Theoretically you can survive forever on this world.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

tommytom

True. If the waves weren't ever increases to force failure or escaping. I like the "forever" option. Kids would make sense if you go "builder" mode and have no raiders (to prevent the above problem) and thus can't expand besides rare rescue/joinging events.

Vagabond

Quote from: Captain Sho on February 21, 2015, 11:23:32 PM

An abstract time scale, such as one game day being equal to three months would solve this problem. If you take into consideration the length of time it would take to actually do the tasks you can get done in one day, it wouldn't be immersion breaking; in fact it would be more believable.

A guy being able to mine out a cave or lay a long road of concrete  in a single day isn't probable. However if that game day represented three months of work it would help in making time more fluid. It would also make events chronologically spaced farther apart.

Quote from: tommytom on February 22, 2015, 11:09:57 AM
True. If the waves weren't ever increases to force failure or escaping. I like the "forever" option. Kids would make sense if you go "builder" mode and have no raiders (to prevent the above problem) and thus can't expand besides rare rescue/joinging events.

I have a feeling that the ever increasing size and frequency of raids is just a placeholder for a more immersive challenges in the future. I don't want to believe that this is the scope of challenge for the game. Not only is it immersion breaking, due to an infinite amount of people whom want to kill you, but it is also bad on framerate. I don't think any amount of optimization will fix hundreds of guys on screen trying to kill you.

The game is in alpha still, so nay-saying plausible features based on the current state of the game really stunts creative thought and valid wishes for sensible mechanics.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Michael

thenightgaunt

I mentioned this in another thread on the topic. What about cloning pods like in the Dr. Who episode "The Doctor's Daughter"? It takes the colonist's DNA, randomizes it a wee bit and produces a fully grown colonist. Really it just spawns a new adult colonist.

Just make it difficult to build or very slow to produce clones.

Cracker21

Quote from: thenightgaunt on February 26, 2015, 02:13:44 PM
I mentioned this in another thread on the topic. What about cloning pods like in the Dr. Who episode "The Doctor's Daughter"? It takes the colonist's DNA, randomizes it a wee bit and produces a fully grown colonist. Really it just spawns a new adult colonist.

Just make it difficult to build or very slow to produce clones.

I like this idea, I like the concept of being able to keep a colony going. Not only surviving but eventually thriving. Cloning pods would be cool but I agree that they should be very expensive. Since they would be producing the most valuable resource the game has to offer (pawns to do your bidding) I think that an AI Persona should be required. And. Hild birth/ children would be a new challenge in the game besides the repetitive raids and mad squirrels.

There are a lot of good ideas, most probably won't be implemented but maybe mods could fix this (once the game is out of alpha/beta) I don't know. I just have a lot of high expectations for this game because it is already very well thought out and put together.