crafted weapons left unfinished

Started by thestalkinghead, February 20, 2015, 10:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thestalkinghead

steel weapons that i try to craft keep just being left unfinished and non interactable with the right mouse button and it seems no matter what i do they don't get finished, am i doing something wrong?

also leather pants kept being left unfinished and stored in the stockpile, but i could right click on them and choose to either smith, stone work or tailor them, tailoring would finish it though.

tommytom

I had the same problem in a play-through. I think it's either the old bug (or now feature?) where bills/items belong to the crafter and only finished by them (lose someone recently?). That or your priorities are not set to allow crafting it over other duties.

I had two bills going for two different items and one finished and the other stayed on the ground. Might be caused by drafting or other intteruptions.

thestalkinghead

the weapon crafter didn't die, he just stopped crafting and did something else, when i stopped him doing any other job apart from crafting he was just idle

Gaesatae

I've been trying to reproduce your problem for almost an hour now, I tried every possibility I could think of, and didn't find any obvious bug.

However, there is a situation that may result in unfinished things if it's not micromanaged properly and it might be the problem you have, but I don't consider it a bug:
1) Add a bill and let a colonist start crafting.
2) Once the colonist has created the unfinished thing, disable the crafting worktype. This will reset the ownership of the bill.
3) If other colonists have crafting enabled they will take the ownership of the bill and they will create a new unfinished thing and complete the bill.
4) The unfinished thing won't be crafted until another bill is created or the original bill updated.

@thestalkinghead, there are few possibilities for an unfinished thing not to be crafted:
1- The colonist who is going to work on it must be the same that created the item and must have crafting enabled.
2- There must be an active bill in the crafting bench to make the item, the "ingredients" must be the same.
3- The bill must be owned by the same colonist that it's going to craft the item.
4- Nobody should be working at the crafting bench.

Sorry if this is obvious to you, but I have to ask if you can check all this things. I find that the best way to have various crafters work on the same bench is to make a bill for each crafter instead of using the + or -.

thestalkinghead

i loaded it today, and they just started to work on the weapons, but after a while they stopped, i had a bill to make 0 (zero) longbows somehow that was suspended, when i canceled that they started working again, so i don't know whether having a suspended job on the list made them stop working or whether that 0 bill made it happen

tommytom

Might have something to do with the bill priorities.

Also, I believe I may have started making one longsword and one gladius, switched to two gladiuses in different bills, then deleted one. Might have messed it up. I think I recall it already laying on the floor unfinished, but I don't know if it was "bugged" at the time.

Your first suggestion sounds about right though as I believe that's what happened with mine. I already canceled the unfinished piece though, so I can't do further testing.

It won't help with finding the bug, but maybe make as many tables as you need for bills (1 bill per table) and that will probably prevent unfinished/bugged work.