Furnace Generator

Started by Argon, February 20, 2015, 11:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

I like the idea of powering the early-game with wood burning. JuliaEllie's Hobo Stove mod is a great example. :)

Listen1

Here, on Expanded Mining Mod, they have a hopper beside the coal generator.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10915.0 (Thanks for Zoimos)

Always amuses me the ideia of having to have fuel. It would be really nice if you had to research solar and wind turbines, and had to deal with fuel management before that.

ja7833

Quote from: chrisb2e9 on February 22, 2015, 09:08:57 PM
Can it burn other things as well? Like junk clothing that I would rather not sell for a buck...
Maybe bodies or dead animals.

Maybe repurpose/rename the existing crematorium as a more generic furnace and keep it supplied via a hopper system with whatever you want want to burn/burn for power.
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

Argon

Quote from: ja7833 on April 01, 2015, 10:59:35 PM
Quote from: chrisb2e9 on February 22, 2015, 09:08:57 PM
Can it burn other things as well? Like junk clothing that I would rather not sell for a buck...
Maybe bodies or dead animals.

Maybe repurpose/rename the existing crematorium as a more generic furnace and keep it supplied via a hopper system with whatever you want want to burn/burn for power.

Human corpses, even bled dry are a considerable percent water.  However in hotter climates one could build a perverse drying rack, rapidly desiccate the corpses, and then burn them for fuel.  Until then burning aparell would work just fine.

-Argon

Mckee

Soot and fumes would be good negatives - you could model soot similar to snow, so it actually blows down wind and covers areas. It can affect crop growth and adds a significant beauty negative. Fumes could cause lung and eye problems for colonists that spend too long in soot filled areas, or right near the furnace.

The health system is great, but so far we only have problems caused by combat, age and RNG. I'd like to see occupational hazards.

giannikampa

Really like the Idea of a furnace that burns "things" and generates power.
May I propose to consider a brand new "thing" that is burnable in this sistem?
GARBAGE:
already suggested elsewhere as a waste of some productions and maybe as last form of degradation of clothes and other things. It should be approximated that garbage burns and there is no difference between a pistol that became garbage and a jacket.
Of course everything flammable should be allowed as fuel as many said before. As for me I'd accept corpse as well but, as said, it's not that realistic. I'd rather like the crematorium to be the furnace we are talking about, with its hoppers, and when a corpse gets burned a little more energy is created cause of the corpse.
For the coal, it is not renewable..
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Mckee

Regarding burning corpses - if the issue is that they're too inflamable to be a decent fuel source, why not allow corpses to be cremated by a furnace, but it reduces or halts the power output, while still consuming fuel.

Monkfish

I like these ideas. Particularly being able to burn anything I fancy feeding into the damn thing. I also like the idea of smoke/soot/some other ailment as a negative to using non-renewables.

+1
<insert witty signature here>

ja7833

Quote from: Mckee on April 02, 2015, 04:27:09 AM
Soot and fumes would be good negatives... The health system is great, but so far we only have problems caused by combat, age and RNG. I'd like to see occupational hazards.

+1
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

Argon

Quote from: Mckee on April 02, 2015, 12:45:50 PM
Regarding burning corpses - if the issue is that they're too inflamable to be a decent fuel source, why not allow corpses to be cremated by a furnace, but it reduces or halts the power output, while still consuming fuel.
This seems to be a happy medium.

-Argon

Barley

Feels like one of those things that was blatantly obvious only after someone put it in a suggestions thread. :/

SSS

I like this idea.

Well, minus the soot. Maybe make it affect the room behind it if it's enclosed, but I don't think the typical player will be using enough furnaces to affect the local environment.

Kegereneku

Quote from: Barley on April 02, 2015, 10:01:05 PM
Feels like one of those things that was blatantly obvious only after someone put it in a suggestions thread. :/
Indeed, I would have bet it would have come as soon as Tynan would have got to creating content in the final phase or making lower tech available.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

LupreacalHorus

Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 03:49:55 AM
Only caveat is that now you potentially have a new work type. Though I suppose it could be attached to hauling.

It could be handled same way as you hadle food synthesizer. Never used it tough.
Or when you build coal/wood generator it creates one resource field stockpile with critical importance

Argon

Quote from: LupreacalHorus on April 03, 2015, 05:40:34 AM
Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 03:49:55 AM
Only caveat is that now you potentially have a new work type. Though I suppose it could be attached to hauling.

It could be handled same way as you hadle food synthesizer. Never used it tough.
Or when you build coal/wood generator it creates one resource field stockpile with critical importance

Correct.  One could just place hoppers along side the generator, which would be periodically refilled.

-Argon