What, precisely, is an "internet handle"?

Started by Silvador, February 21, 2015, 05:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

As the title says. This might seem like a bit of an obvious answer, but not necessarily. I've seen a lot of names that people go by on the internet and while many are... quite obviously not a "real world" name, some screen names could possibly be legitimately accepted as a name. I ask this question in regards, specifically, to the short/nickname aspect of naming a character, and wish to know at what point a name ceases to be a believable, if fictional, name and becomes an "internet handle".

Shinzy

Mithradates

Quote from: Silvador on February 21, 2015, 05:45:37 AM
As the title says. This might seem like a bit of an obvious answer, but not necessarily. I've seen a lot of names that people go by on the internet and while many are... quite obviously not a "real world" name, some screen names could possibly be legitimately accepted as a name. I ask this question in regards, specifically, to the short/nickname aspect of naming a character, and wish to know at what point a name ceases to be a believable, if fictional, name and becomes an "internet handle".

Inuyasha284938
xXx420-bl4z31t69xXx
#swagasaurus-sex#

And the like.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

Setokaiva[IVL]

To me, a 'handle' is little more than a nickname. For example, I go by the 'handle' of 'Setokaiva', or 'Seto'. Your 'handle' would be 'Silvador', since that is your chosen nickname. At least, that's my interpretation of it. No one has called me out on it when I've used that term in that context, yet.

Silvador

Quote from: Setokaiva[IVL] on February 22, 2015, 11:48:23 PM
To me, a 'handle' is little more than a nickname. For example, I go by the 'handle' of 'Setokaiva', or 'Seto'. Your 'handle' would be 'Silvador', since that is your chosen nickname. At least, that's my interpretation of it. No one has called me out on it when I've used that term in that context, yet.

Yeah, this is the clarification I'm looking for. The rewards guideline thingy stated that a name can't be an internet handle, but would such a name like those you have given as examples be considered as internet handles or would they be accepted as believable?