Overview Work suggestions

Started by theirongiant, March 09, 2015, 06:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theirongiant

Hi,

New member and player here, loving the game so far but I thought I'd chip in with a suggestion for the overview work screen - it'd be nice to have a list of the each colonists skills below the priority list, I find I'm having to select a colonist, open the overview screen, set up tasks, close the overview screen, change colonist, re-open the overview etc. If not a list then it'd be nice if < & > still worked for switching through colonists while the screen was open. It'd also be nice if defaults could be set so that they could be set for you 'ideal' setting, that way if you need to react to a situation you can muck about with priorities and once things had settled down you could get back to normal with one click.

Apologies if this has been covered before, I couldn't see anything relating to it elsewhere.

Monkfish

I'm not sure why you'd have to close the overview screen and change colonists, unless you're checking their Character stats before deciding who to assign to what task, but I suspect there are a couple of things you're missing that will make your life a whole lot simpler.

- You can switch colonists from overview just by clicking on their name; you don't have to close the window. If you select a colonist and open their Character tab, then open Overview you can switch within Overview and still see each colonist's stats.
- Hovering your cursor over each job will show the skill level for that colonist in a tooltip box. It won't show whether they have any passions for that skill, though you could note these beforehand.

I like your idea of a default button though, although I often find myself perpetually changing job priorities as I realise something isn't being done (or it's being done by the wrong person) so I'm not sure how much I'd actually use that. The list thing would be unmanageable for large colonies and the skill information would be better being displayed inline (or include more info, such as passions, in the tooltip popup.
<insert witty signature here>

theirongiant

Ah thanks for that tip, never occurred to me to try clicking the names, that'll be a great help. Still think the defaults would be good, I generally have my 'peacetime' set up where I try to get good job coverage while trying to give  everyone the opportunity to indulge their passions but will frequently deviate away from that 'ideal' set up to cope with situations as they arise. When things settle back down it'd be nice to be able to go back to the peacetime settings easily.

b0rsuk

Please put something like Overview:Work on the new game screen. I want a summary view, that way I don't have to look through all 3 of them to see that 2 are incapable of hauling.

Shinzy

the passions will be shown in there in next alpha
and you can get quick feedback of their skill level by the colour of the border
of the skill (it gets brighter the better it is, and golden when they're amazing at it)

b0rsuk

You can also select a colonist, click on Character (where the skills are), and then use "." and "," keys to cycle through colonists as usual.

Passion flames are going to be visible in the Overview: Work screen in the next version. It's in the changelog.