Insulated walls/doors

Started by kingtyris, February 22, 2015, 12:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingmob

Quote from: Chibiabos on March 01, 2015, 02:40:55 AM
Quote from: Kingmob on February 28, 2015, 08:20:46 AM
You would be surprised how thin and uninsulated the walls of the ISS are ;) Without atmosphere you basically get free insulation, since heat is only radiated away. So maintaining temperature is actually relatively easy as long as you don't need to cool something down.

I'm afraid you misunderstand things
As has been pointed out, I think you misread my post. I have been training crew for the ISS for the past 5 years inside an exact 1:1 model of parts of the ISS, I am reasonably sure I know what I'm talking about ;)

Darth Fool

This is a handy table: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html
note that higher numbers mean worse insulation.  Translating to rimworld, this would mean the materials should effect wall insulation from best to worst as: cotton(0.04),leather(~0.14),wood(~0.15), concrete(~1.0), stone[ limestone(1.3),sandstone(1.7),slate(2.01), marble(~2.5),granite(~2.85)], plasteel(~21.6 :assuming properties somewhere between acrylic and steel),uranium(27.6), steel(43), gold(310),silver(429). I included some non wall materials, but you get the point.  Of course, any wall could also have an insulated version made with more work and much better thermal insulation by creating a less dense version with tiny air pockets in it.  This would not necessarily come at the cost of strength, since the material would be lighter as well.

Regret

Quote from: Chibiabos on March 01, 2015, 10:31:50 AM
Quote from: Regret on March 01, 2015, 09:19:03 AM
I think you quoted the wrong person...

Not sure why you think that. 
I will use the power of quotes to convince you.

Quote from: Kingmob on February 28, 2015, 08:20:46 AM
Without atmosphere you basically get free insulation, since heat is only radiated away. So maintaining temperature is actually relatively easy as long as you don't need to cool something down.

Quote from: Chibiabos on March 01, 2015, 02:40:55 AM
I'm afraid you misunderstand things (...)

Followed by a large wall of text where you explained heat transfer through convection in detail, yet this is exactly what Kingmob said: In Space there is no convection of heat, only radiation of heat.

I assumed that your accusation of misunderstanding was aimed at someone else. The alternative explanation would be that your reading comprehension could use some improvement, but that would be an insult to you.
I tried to assume the innocent mistake scenario instead of the comprehension failure scenario.

TL:DR version:
You said Kingmob misunderstands you but you were agreeing with eachother.

BetaSpectre

IRL walls can have insulation and have wires sticking out of them.
Maybe remove conductor walls, and allow you to just put the wires in yourself or lay them down first? Then replace the conductor walls with insulated walls.

Though TBH I haven't found insulation to be an issue as of yet.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Chibiabos

Quote from: Regret on March 09, 2015, 01:05:25 PM
In Space there is no convection of heat, only radiation of heat.

I assumed that your accusation of misunderstanding was aimed at someone else. The alternative explanation would be that your reading comprehension could use some improvement, but that would be an insult to you.
I tried to assume the innocent mistake scenario instead of the comprehension failure scenario.

TL:DR version:
You said Kingmob misunderstands you but you were agreeing with eachother.

And you completely missed it.  As stated in my post, I wasn't saying his statement about the ISS not needing much insulation because it didn't lose much heat was wrong, but its relevancy was because he seemed to be trying to make a point (which would be very wrong) that if the ISS doesn't need insulation that our buildings wouldn't; why this would be wrong is that the near vacuum of space simply doesn't carry away heat anywhere near as fast as a chilly environment with a thick atmosphere and wind.  It appears you didn't actually read my post, particularly the first sentence.  Nowhere did I insinuate he was wrong about the ISS not needing insulation; my concern was the point he seemed to be implying that the ISS doesn't need much insulation, and thus neither should a building in an atmosphere.  Its entirely possible I was wrong in worrying he was trying to make such an incorrect point, maybe he was just being anecdotal and not attempting to make a point to dissuade discussions about building insulation, I don't know -- but I am baffled that my point made in the very first sentence was mis-read.  What a world!
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!