Insulated walls/doors

Started by kingtyris, February 22, 2015, 12:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtyris

Can we have these? A good trade off could be that they are ugly and don't conduct electricity.

Chibiabos

Well, rather than prohibit electricity, just make them require more materials and/or work.  And maybe a variety of insulators ...

Straw could be the cheapest, obtained from harvesting grass perhaps.  Its combustible, but I don't know how that might work if you make the actual walls out of steel or stone.

With this or as an alternative, there should maybe also be different thermal properties for different building materials.  Metal conducts heat very quickly, for instance, compared with wood or stone ... so heat should bleed through metal walls faster than stone or wood.  Wood probably medium, stone the slowest ... so if a sudden cold snap or heat wave strikes, buildings made with stone walls and doors should take longer to succumb to the outside temperatures, versus buildings made with metal walls and doors should normalize with the outside temperature relatively quickly and wood somewhere in the middle.  A new material could perhaps be added that is fairly weak in terms of resisting bullets or explosions, but has very strong insulating properties to make it a good choice if someone wants to make a greenhouse (which is still possible without fert pumps, just have to build them on fertile ground) or a freezer.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

harpo99999

in a9, I have found that double thick walls seem to be effective atreducing temp change

Humort

Лично я, вижу другой подход, к экономичному отоплению комнат.

Думаю, центральное отопление, решило бы гораздо больше проблем, большой разницы нет, какое именно оно будет, печное, газовое, водное...., факт в том, что обогревать каждую комнату по отдельности, это действительно несовременно, и затратно.

Может из-за того, что я пишу не на английском, меня как всегда проигнорируют, но я всё же использую свой шанс, чтобы привнести в игру, что-то положительное....

Сама система отопления, должна проходить от источника тепла, по стенам, также как реализовано с проводами, а если кто-то использует отдельные дома, то как в современном обществе, можно прокладывать трубы, под землёй....
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

Captain Sho

My thought on this is what about something along the lines of "space ship walls".
It fits in well with the theme of the game and space ships have to be insulated.
It could cost a lot of steel or platsteel or even a mix of the two.

PhoeniX

Wouldn't make more sense something like heat permeability rate? i.e: Wood is pretty permeable, Indoors and Outdoors temp is somewhat even at all times. Steel loses and gains heat at a slower rate, so if its cold outside it would take longer to warm and if its hot, longer to cool. Rocks and stone's thermal capacity is more than the others so it would keep inside warmth for longer periods but also takes more energy to heat up.

harpo99999

as far as the temperature permiability issue my thoughts are metal conducts the MOST temperature and holds a middle amount of heat/cold (thermal mass), wood conducts less temperature, holds the least, and then sandstone, limestone, then slate with granite and marble as the lowest thermal conductors and the highest thermal mass.

kingtyris

What I really have in mind is a dedicated temperature-proof wall type for building freezers. As for insulating the living space, I think it would be good enough to use stone which would allow very little, but still some temperature to bleed through.

BoltDown

I was thinking along the same lines with the upgrade to A9, with the changes to the walls an insulated variant is especially important. Going into the specifics of a materials temperature characteristics I think is a bit too over complicated and should be avoided. I think a system of using the current materials they could add in a new wall sub series where a wall of any material would require 5 construction materials + 1 cotton cloth = insulated wall, of course since the wall is internally hollow to allow for insulation the walls durability would have to be slightly reduced. An insulated wall could also still carry a power cable just like in real homes.

I would like to point out that personally I think this is the wrong path with heating and cooling and I believe looking at the mod "Centralised Heating" gives the best solution with the introduction of vents. In any age vents and ducting have been the means to heat and cool houses and buildings, after all temperature transition through walls is generally considered as insignificant (unless you build one with supper conductivity like steel).

Kingmob

Quote from: Captain Sho on February 22, 2015, 03:44:29 PM
My thought on this is what about something along the lines of "space ship walls".
It fits in well with the theme of the game and space ships have to be insulated.
It could cost a lot of steel or platsteel or even a mix of the two.
You would be surprised how thin and uninsulated the walls of the ISS are ;) Without atmosphere you basically get free insulation, since heat is only radiated away. So maintaining temperature is actually relatively easy as long as you don't need to cool something down.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Kingmob on February 28, 2015, 08:20:46 AM
You would be surprised how thin and uninsulated the walls of the ISS are ;) Without atmosphere you basically get free insulation, since heat is only radiated away. So maintaining temperature is actually relatively easy as long as you don't need to cool something down.

I'm afraid you misunderstand things, in that you seem to think the near vacuum of space is as cold as it gets and, therefore, nowhere in the universe would cool an object down faster than in space; this is very much not true.  An object will lose temperature much more quickly in Antarctica with the wind blowing than it will in space, because atmosphere can and will actually carry away heat -- actually draw it out of an object.  Wind chill is not merely some quirk of sensation, it really is a thing -- if you have two hot objects, put them in otherwise identical environments in terms of air temperature and pressure, but one is in an environment with significant wind, the object in the high wind environment will cool down faster than an object in a room at equally cool temperature but the air is not moving, because in the latter the air around the object will heat up gradually and as it does so the temperature difference between the air and the object will decrease and thus the object's rate of cooling will decrease over time, whereas in a high wind environment, the air does not stay around to gradually warm because the wind pushes the heated air away and constantly refreshes the heating air around the hot object with unheated air, so the object's rate of cooling will not slow down over time and, effectively, it will cool down -- equalize with the air temperature -- more quickly.

Regret

Quote from: Chibiabos on March 01, 2015, 02:40:55 AM
Quote from: Kingmob on February 28, 2015, 08:20:46 AM

I'm afraid you misunderstand things, in that you seem to think the near vacuum of space is as cold as it gets and, therefore, nowhere in the universe would cool an object down faster than in space; this is very much not true.  An object will lose temperature much more quickly in Antarctica with the wind blowing than it will in space, because atmosphere can and will actually carry away heat -- actually draw it out of an object.  Wind chill is not merely some quirk of sensation, it really is a thing -- if you have two hot objects, put them in otherwise identical environments in terms of air temperature and pressure, but one is in an environment with significant wind, the object in the high wind environment will cool down faster than an object in a room at equally cool temperature but the air is not moving, because in the latter the air around the object will heat up gradually and as it does so the temperature difference between the air and the object will decrease and thus the object's rate of cooling will decrease over time, whereas in a high wind environment, the air does not stay around to gradually warm because the wind pushes the heated air away and constantly refreshes the heating air around the hot object with unheated air, so the object's rate of cooling will not slow down over time and, effectively, it will cool down -- equalize with the air temperature -- more quickly.
I think you quoted the wrong person...

Chibiabos

Quote from: Regret on March 01, 2015, 09:19:03 AM

Not sure why you think that.  I quoted Kingmob whom pointed out the ISS (International Space Station) doesn't have much insulation and, because he seemed to assume that space would sap away heat faster than anything in an atmosphere, that meant insulation didn't amount to much, but I knew that to be untrue, as an atmosphere can carry heat away (or cool an object off faster) than space.  So far as I can tell, he made the remark about the ISS, that was what I was quoting, and the attribution was correct.  Did I miss something?

Latta

Quote from: Chibiabos on March 01, 2015, 10:31:50 AM
Quote from: Regret on March 01, 2015, 09:19:03 AM

Not sure why you think that.  I quoted Kingmob whom pointed out the ISS (International Space Station) doesn't have much insulation and, because he seemed to assume that space would sap away heat faster than anything in an atmosphere, that meant insulation didn't amount to much, but I knew that to be untrue, as an atmosphere can carry heat away (or cool an object off faster) than space.  So far as I can tell, he made the remark about the ISS, that was what I was quoting, and the attribution was correct.  Did I miss something?

No, he's saying that ISS has really low insulation because vacuum of space won't get away with its heat(atmosphere carry more heat away); and you are saying the same thing, isn't it?

And to the OP's topic: I saw that wall temperature insulation is based on cell counts, not by individual walls. I hope it gets in a better way in A10.

windruf

and we want non insulating walls and doors because there are rooms entirely inside well tempered base and we want, that temperature there would be the same like in entire base.