'High expectations' mood modifier

Started by Panzer, February 22, 2015, 05:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

So it seems my colony is doing good and everyone is having high expectations and a -4 mood debuff. Is this something that ll stay and needs to be counteracted by increasing the mood of my colonists, or is there another way to get rid of it? (besides burning money ;D)

Mikhail Reign

Yeah I just started getting this too. I figure its a reasonable mid/late game debuff. On its own it doesnt really do anything, but it just makes poisoned food, bad clothes and the like more of a worry once your colony is established - Its been a year, they kind expect to be not wearing rags.

woolfoma

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on February 22, 2015, 05:44:15 AM
Yeah I just started getting this too. I figure its a reasonable mid/late game debuff. On its own it doesnt really do anything, but it just makes poisoned food, bad clothes and the like more of a worry once your colony is established - Its been a year, they kind expect to be not wearing rags.
bah, they can where nothing for all I care, saves me more money.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

stefanstr

Yeah. At the beginning, they have a 'Low Expectations' modifier which I think is +4. I like it: it make early game somewhat easier. I also think it is based on colony wealth, so if you had some huge disaster, you would probably lose 'High Expectations'.

Rathael

I don't like it. This is what the new colony buff is for. I don't like having a permanent -8 debuff on all my colonists that I can do nothing about.

Tynan

Quote from: Rathael on February 22, 2015, 01:22:39 PM
I don't like it. This is what the new colony buff is for. I don't like having a permanent -8 debuff on all my colonists that I can do nothing about.

It's only -4.

It's just a way of balancing colonies at different levels of development. Otherwise we pretty much have to make it so that either they constantly go insane in early, undeveloped colonies, or are completely mood-invincible in big wealthy colonies.

I think it also reflects real-life psychology. There's a great documentary called Happy about this and related topics.

Consider that The Sims does something similar (though that game does it silently - sims just require more to be happy as the game progresses and your house gets wealthier).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Daemoneyes

Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 01:47:38 PM

It's only -4.

It's just a way of balancing colonies at different levels of development. Otherwise we pretty much have to make it so that either they constantly go insane in early, undeveloped colonies, or are completely mood-invincible in big wealthy colonies.

I think it also reflects real-life psychology. There's a great documentary called Happy about this and related topics.

Consider that The Sims does something similar (though that game does it silently - sims just require more to be happy as the game progresses and your house gets wealthier).

I like it this way but its quite hard to equip the colonists and avoid the frayed clothing debuff because good clothing is hard to get and the stuff you loot is almost always 30-50% at best.
Now this isnt the biggest problem in the world but a way to repair or deconstruct clothing/armor/weapons would be nice,
also a way to craft Power Armor would be nice.

MsMeiriona

The pain in the neck is if you hit a gold vein when you first start up, it can hit you and then you're screwed.

Or is that due to mods that I ended up with it happening in my first month?

(hit a HUGE gold vein right off the bat, next thing I knew, breakdowns all over)

Daemoneyes

Quote from: MsMeiriona on February 22, 2015, 02:09:25 PM
The pain in the neck is if you hit a gold vein when you first start up, it can hit you and then you're screwed.

(hit a HUGE gold vein right off the bat, next thing I knew, breakdowns all over)

Remove it from your stockpiles or just delete the Trade beacon stockpile and create a new one if you want to sell it.
Should not influence the colony this way.

MsMeiriona

Quote from: Daemoneyes on February 22, 2015, 02:12:00 PM

Remove it from your stockpiles or just delete the Trade beacon stockpile and create a new one if you want to sell it.
That could make for an exploit where you can force low expectations at all times. Looks like it probably needs a tweak.

Daemoneyes

Quote from: MsMeiriona on February 22, 2015, 02:19:48 PM
Quote from: Daemoneyes on February 22, 2015, 02:12:00 PM

That could make for an exploit where you can force low expectations at all times. Looks like it probably needs a tweak.

Main problem is that resources and for example statues are worth to much for calculating colony worth, because bunch of gold / statues doesnt kill raiders/mechas. Imho should weapons / armor and turrets have a heavier impact on colony wealth and resources a way lower.

Rathael

akiceabear

QuoteMain problem is that resources and for example statues are worth to much for calculating colony worth, because bunch of gold / statues doesnt kill raiders/mechas. Imho should weapons / armor and turrets have a heavier impact on colony wealth and resources a way lower.

No. Raiders should actually prefer raiding undefended but high wealth bases. And colonists should base their expectations on colony wealth beyond just the number of turrets. Although this does raise an interesting point: a new buff/neg of "secure" or "defenseless", based on the ratio between total colony wealth and amount of wealth in defensive items.

lusername

Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 01:47:38 PMConsider that The Sims does something similar (though that game does it silently - sims just require more to be happy as the game progresses and your house gets wealthier).
As someone who has dug through the bowels of the Sims and knows things most people have never even heard of, I can tell you that this is very much not true, and this never happens. The reason sims get unhappier as your house gets wealthier is not because your sims demand more, but because those overpriced houses are often massively inefficient and overpopulated.

Foxador

Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 01:47:38 PM

It's only -4.

You are aware that it goes down to -8 right? It means that once your colony goes over a certain wealth size which is VERY EASY TO GET every single person in your colony will now suffer from -8 mood FOREVER.  There is nothing that you can do to counter this as even if I have a statue with over 300 mood in every room they'll still complain, even if they have the best items around.

Sure I might offset the mood by +5 but you're still coming up negative. Maybe if I'm lucky they might get to +10 if they stay in the room long enough but once they move or go outside it's back to -8.

What's the point of this negative moodlet?  You've already nerfed raiders to only use crappy gear that barely gets to normal quality and they won't use anything better than cloth.  Traders have like a 5% chance to sell weapons above normal quality unless it's a statue which NO ONE IS GOING TO BUY.  I used to like having exotic traders coming to my base but right now they just come and sell their crappy legendary statues that no one is ever going to buy.  Combat suppliers come by and they only sell shoddy equipment even when my colony has over 400k colony wealth which I can't fathom how they got.

The price of items in the game are worth so little now it's better just to straight up burn raiders than to loot them since I'll only get like 4$ for their items and their weapons are of crap quality.  Not only does it make the raiders suck because their items are so bad they aren't a challenge since their acc is based on the quality of their weapons but it makes it so the colony can't grow either.

You've also said that you want to remove trade beacons since you think that trade ships are silly and want to go to caravans but you deem that to be very difficult but there's already several mods that make it happen.  Why not take their mod and ask to have it in the game since I can already have people come to my colony and offer me goods?