Cats and dogs?

Started by Col_Jessep, November 12, 2013, 11:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col_Jessep

I wondered if cats and dogs are planned? They have been an important part of human civilization for thousands of years and I think it would be likely that they would find their place even in a futuristic environment. There is already a flag for a trait 'likes cats'. Can we expect to see actual cats and dogs at some point? =3

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Produno

Quote from: Col_Jessep on November 12, 2013, 11:33:02 PM
I'm a cat nut, can you tell? =3

Arghh, a crazy cat person, ive seen you people before ;p. Ive seen prison architect has dogs.. c'mon Tynan your slacking :).

Thubin

What if we're allergic??

Seriously though, they could easily be used for defense (dogs could be used as early warning/attack) or for loyalty. A person with a pet is generally a happier person. It would be interesting, however, if some colonists were allergic or hated them. You'd have to balance out the happiness of pro- and anti-pet colonists.
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

Produno

Though where would these cats and dogs come from?

Thubin

Other crash sites? Feral populations? I presume that while RimWorld is sparely populated, it's not pristine.
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

Produno

But were on an alien planet with muffalos and boomrats, whats the chances of finding a cat or a dog. They would have to be alien subsitutes. But im sure Tynan has already spoke about alien animals as pets and such.

mumblemumble

Dogs I can understand, but cats...well.

To be honest, besides pets (a recent thing), their only uses I know of historically have been food, and using their intestines as condoms. But they weren't ever used for jobs, I don't think
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Produno

Well dogs for sledge's. I guess this could aim towards something in rimworld, a use instead of having vehicles which i think Tynan isnt keen on, and i dont blame him tbh.

ShadowDragon8685

Dogs would be perfect.

There is a reason dogs have been called man's best friend. Working dogs do everything! Some breeds (like Corgis and Shepherds) herd the livestock, some breeds (Newfoundlands) will leap from a pitching boat deck to sieze a drowning man and swim him to safety. Some breeds are sentries, raising an awful ruckus if their senses (which are largely much more keen than those of the most alert human ever to live) detect danger. Some are big, ferocious guardians, big or bigger than wolves and fully ready to put the fear of the wild in anyone, human or animal, that threatens their humans.

Where do you think we get a phrase like "Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war!" from?

Frankly, dogs would be perfect. Herding dogs could keep the muffalo in line, attack dogs (the kind we need the most ATM,) could keep psychotic animals in check (though I pity the poor dog that chews on a boomrat,) and leap straight into melee with raiders. With a large enough pack, you wouldn't need turrets or explosives - let slip the dogs of war! Then your guys use rifles to plink off raiders while they're busy getting their bollocks chewed off by a ferocious-as-it-is-loyal Tynan Pinscher or something.

As for cats, well... They control pest populations. They'd keep the squirrels in line, and if we had a breed of fire-retardant cat native to this world, the boomrats.
Raiders must die!

Col_Jessep

Why would you bring cats/dogs on a spaceship? It has already been answered: cats are great for pest control (even those pests you don't know about yet!) and dogs can be trained for a variety of tasks. I would assume that most spaceships will have those really tight maintenance crawl spaces. You could send a cat or dog in with a little camera instead of spending half an hour crawling around in a claustrophobic and possibly dangerous maintenance duct.

Pets are also therapeutic - unless you are allergic. Which could add to the story.

PS: Cats and dogs could be found at crash sites, bought from farming vessels (cats mostly) or slave traders (dogs mostly).

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Pendryn

Dogs could definitely be able to haul in metal, but as a penalty, they might not haul in the full amount of food that was originally there. Naturally cats could be used to induce fear. So much fear. Seriously. You're still alive when they start to eat you.
Reticulating all the splines.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Col_Jessep on November 13, 2013, 01:59:38 AM
Why would you bring cats/dogs on a spaceship? It has already been answered: cats are great for pest control (even those pests you don't know about yet!) and dogs can be trained for a variety of tasks. I would assume that most spaceships will have those really tight maintenance crawl spaces. You could send a cat or dog in with a little camera instead of spending half an hour crawling around in a claustrophobic and possibly dangerous maintenance duct.

Dogs and cats could also be put into cryo, same as humans. They'd likely be considered livestock.

The Muffalo had to get here somehow! So did the squirrels.

QuotePS: Cats and dogs could be found at crash sites, bought from farming vessels (cats mostly) or slave traders (dogs mostly).

Farmers have as much use for dogs as slave-traders. Dogs herd the livestock, warn you of the approach of strangers, bark to intimidate said strangers, with fight loyally to protect you, will pull unconscious people out of harms' way, etcetera.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 13, 2013, 12:06:46 AM
Dogs I can understand, but cats...well.

To be honest, besides pets (a recent thing), their only uses I know of historically have been food, and using their intestines as condoms.

Read up on ancient egypt.

Also, hell yeah for boomcats!

starlight

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 13, 2013, 12:57:53 AM
Dogs would be perfect.

There is a reason dogs have been called man's best friend. Working dogs do everything! Some breeds (like Corgis and Shepherds) herd the livestock, some breeds (Newfoundlands) will leap from a pitching boat deck to sieze a drowning man and swim him to safety. Some breeds are sentries, raising an awful ruckus if their senses (which are largely much more keen than those of the most alert human ever to live) detect danger. Some are big, ferocious guardians, big or bigger than wolves and fully ready to put the fear of the wild in anyone, human or animal, that threatens their humans.

Where do you think we get a phrase like "Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war!" from?

Frankly, dogs would be perfect. Herding dogs could keep the muffalo in line, attack dogs (the kind we need the most ATM,) could keep psychotic animals in check (though I pity the poor dog that chews on a boomrat,) and leap straight into melee with raiders. With a large enough pack, you wouldn't need turrets or explosives - let slip the dogs of war! Then your guys use rifles to plink off raiders while they're busy getting their bollocks chewed off by a ferocious-as-it-is-loyal Tynan Pinscher or something.

As for cats, well... They control pest populations. They'd keep the squirrels in line, and if we had a breed of fire-retardant cat native to this world, the boomrats.

Brilliant. Dogs can be:
1. Trained to attack.
2. Fitted with an explosive vest that has a remote that controls explosion.

Also, in their spare time they are haul stuff around.

garg1

Pets also may (any pet) raise/decrease Colonists happiness (maybe new character-traits for the reaction?)

also I'D LIKE MY COLONISTS TO EAT THE PETS, PLEASE! >_<
Maybe there is a declared owner/trainer who gets pissed if the pet gets eaten (because otherwise a colonist would starve or something)
...allways an egg.