Value of early crafted goods

Started by evrett33, February 23, 2015, 12:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evrett33

I started my most recent colony out with a basic cloth industry making hats. When it came time to sell all the hats I discovered the values had deteriorated from a high of $66-$156 depending on material to under 10 silver per hat. Many under a dollar. I am guessing this was do to the slight loss of condition points coupled with the low quality of product produced by early colony crafters. 

Am I making the wrong items or does deterioration need a balance pass?

Sartain

Make a large indoor trade stock and roof all but a couple of tiles, and your trade crap won't deteriorate without you having to haul it all the time

REMworlder

What Sartain said, and also keep in mind the social skill of the colonist you use to contact the traders can result in lower pricing too.

evrett33

Thanks for the tips. In an early colony one doesnt necessarily have the time, resources or manpower to build a structure large enough to encompass a large stockpile that can store all the produced items. This is more a balance issue rather than player fault. Perhaps deterioration shouldnt influence the value so greatly? 

RickyMartini

I think deterioration in general should be tweaked.

Tynan

Trade prices were changed, and apparel gets a sell price penalty as well now. If you want to make trade goods, make art.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Tynan on February 23, 2015, 02:02:35 PM
Trade prices were changed, and apparel gets a sell price penalty as well now. If you want to make trade goods, make art.

Can we use cloth to make paintings or some kind of wall art?

Eleazar

Quote from: Sartain on February 23, 2015, 12:10:42 PM
Make a large indoor trade stock and roof all but a couple of tiles, and your trade crap won't deteriorate without you having to haul it all the time

Trade beacons no longer need to be open to the sky at all.

tommytom

Quote from: Eleazar on February 23, 2015, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: Sartain on February 23, 2015, 12:10:42 PM

Trade beacons no longer need to be open to the sky at all.*
*Unless you want to designate a non-RNG dropzone for silver and purchases.

Boboid

If you want to make trade goods, make art.

This pretty much sums it up - you're entirely pigeonholed into making sculptures for cash now, and the time-to-profit ratio really blows, so multiple colonists are often required.

*Exceptionally* high quality apparel can often fetch a good price, but you already need high crafting skill for that, so most of what your crafter will be doing is barely breaking even in terms of raw materials -> value for a very long time.

Personally I'd just hoard all your leather and skill up on cloth until you can reliably produce high quality, doesn't solve the early game but it's the most efficient way.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: evrett33 on February 23, 2015, 12:06:12 PM
I started my most recent colony out with a basic cloth industry making hats. When it came time to sell all the hats I discovered the values had deteriorated from a high of $66-$156 depending on material to under 10 silver per hat. Many under a dollar. I am guessing this was do to the slight loss of condition points coupled with the low quality of product produced by early colony crafters. 

Am I making the wrong items or does deterioration need a balance pass?

Old system needed a balance pass.  Now you need storing rooms, better crafting skill matters, other strategies then trade matters (I've been playing 8 in-game months before getting up the trade beacon in my current Extreme Challenge game, and it hasn't been a game breaker).

Crafting for own use is also important now, not just for cheesy easy exports. Before you can be really efficient at making export goods you need to make a good effort first. Long term planning counts, and I love it.

evrett33

hmm ok well if lesser crafts arnt suppose to be time/cost effective how does one skill up to great skillevels? In certain places one needs to be able to make ok parkas before winter.

Tynan

Quote from: evrett33 on February 23, 2015, 06:31:00 PM
hmm ok well if lesser crafts arnt suppose to be time/cost effective how does one skill up to great skillevels? In certain places one needs to be able to make ok parkas before winter.

Even a horrible parka will get you through winter, quality doesn't affect insulation that much.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: evrett33 on February 23, 2015, 06:31:00 PM

I don't understand the way you think arround this subject at all. It's cost efficient in the long run to get great skill levels, and extremely usefull when you can make high quality stuff. Why would you wan't that to happen ASAP instead of being a long term process where you need to plan and prioritize it versus other urgent needs? The sooner you get good crafters the better, same goes for miners, growers, shooters etc. You are the one doing the short and long term hard choices.

evrett33

Unless the large work amounts are a bug it takes far too long to make even a small statue to be viable source of income in the early colony. I think a clothing industry makes more sense and doesnt monopolize the time of yuor limited peeps.