Value of early crafted goods

Started by evrett33, February 23, 2015, 12:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boboid

Make sure you're not crafting stone sculptures.. they take like 7x the work in some cases.
Generally stick to Wood early on.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

evrett33

Hmm I am sculping with stone (desert colony)..where does it say they take more work? I see the notice about gold but I thought that meant more materials.

edit oh lord yes wood take a lot less work..hmm.

Boboid

I mean you *can* sculpt with stone and the sculptures WILL be worth a lot more than if they were made of wood, but they won't be SEVEN times more valuable. Think it's around 4-5x iirc but I'd have to double check

The nice thing about stone sculptures is that they have almost no resource impact, they cost virtually nothing to create and the total resource->value conversion is great... but the time->value ratio is dreadful. And you won't see any profit from them for a *long* time, potentially several traders could come and go before you ever had a product to sell.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

evrett33

Ya I just went and switched to wood. I understand the reality of carving wood vs stone...but the super long craft times are just not fun or in any way practical. I'd make the various materials equal save made platsteel. Wood could sand to take a bit longer.

Another idea might be to make a commercial sculpture that can be mass produced for sale (or skill ups) and a different recipe for sculptures that have meaningful art and tales on them, which would take longer.

If you can get a GOOD, passionate crafter with Industrious or similar traits its much quicker. A pawn with no passion and no relevant traits will take forever to make something good-for-nothing horrible statue. Still, wood statues are not worth it. 

tommytom

They are in a jungle (almost free resources and don't require crafter making blocks) and also a good thing ot train on to scale up artist skill until you can make/sell marble, etc.