Don't like the new item ruination

Started by TimTumm, February 23, 2015, 12:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagabond

Quote from: Julia on February 23, 2015, 02:49:32 PM
Micro on clothes is a bit annoying, yes.

Also switching on/off is a bit annoying, and since you can build a switch anyway, I don't see the point. It saves time and micro if you can do it from the map view, instead of pausing the game and selecting colonists to power-on your kill-zone.

Doesn't add realism/hardship - it only makes you pause and assign colonists manually, and micro more than needed. And you get another [X] work slot to check - too much.

I'm the guy with Imp's More Complex Needs, Frostfall and a slew of other realism mods. I like deterioration and anything else that makes the game more realistic. However, when talking about a game where you aren't taking on the role of an individual and instead managing a colony, if there isn't some form of automation, the micro becomes to tedious; it is my job to make sure they have the stuff available, it's their job to make sure they make use of the stuff. I like that Tynan plans to introduce that automation, it will make that system run much more smoothly.

In the meantime, I'll just merrily toy away on A8 with Epyk Mod Pack 'till A10 releases and Epyk is updated for it. Waiting only sweetens the experience.

Solid release Tynan, an awesome stepping stone to A10, which I have a feeling will be something particularly special.

Cheers,
Michael

Panzer

Item ruination is fine, but the rate at which it happens is too fast in my opinion. Weapons and clothing gets damaged too fast while fighting, not to mention the acid rain that instantly damages anything that lies outside. I struggle to keep up with the rate at which I need new clothing, I need at least 2 crafters for a mid-sized colony.

skullywag

Im ok with it all tbh, my only real issue is 99%.....i just.....please make it wait before doing the first check to deteriorate....
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Andy_Dandy

I love this new deteriation system. Best part of Alpha 9. Changes so many parts of the game play to the better; nerfs trade, makes crafting important for other things then exports, more hard choices and priorities to make, gives you new ways to plan out your base with need for indoor storing and trade, slows down my base development and keeps game interesting for alot longer.

I rather micro abit then having a lesser experience with more hollow mechanics, because these new mechanics enhances gameplay and strategy by alot.

Rathael

I both like and hate it. I would like to see a delay between item creation/last time stored indoors and the deterioration kicking in. Maybe a few days to a week? So anything on the ground at map start will give you a few days to get it collected up before deteriorating. You could also move items from inside to outside (not needed with trading indoors anymore, but still a nice feature) to back inside without them going to 99 or 98 as long as they are only out for a couple days. Once brought inside the delay resets again.

I think the rest would be great if we could have a colonist automatically grab a newer *exact item* from a stockpile. So t-shirt -> t-shirt and not t-shirt -> button down shirt because I don't want them changing from the clothing/armor setup that I give them.

Maybe a way to allow/disallow them to grab better weapons too.. not only deterioration, but also awful -> legendary etc.

milon

I haven't had time to play more than 10 minutes of Alpha 9 yet (sadness!) but I'd really like to see weather affecting the rate of decay for outside items.  When it's -80C out, a frozen raider corpse (and equipment) shouldn't deteriorate, and I should be able to loot it just fine in the spring.  That same corpse/clothing should deteriorate MUCH faster when it's 35C out.  Just my uninformed $0.02.

akiceabear

Quote from: milon on February 23, 2015, 07:53:48 PM
I haven't had time to play more than 10 minutes of Alpha 9 yet (sadness!) but I'd really like to see weather affecting the rate of decay for outside items.  When it's -80C out, a frozen raider corpse (and equipment) shouldn't deteriorate, and I should be able to loot it just fine in the spring.  That same corpse/clothing should deteriorate MUCH faster when it's 35C out.  Just my uninformed $0.02.

+1

On the whole, I'm very happy with the new deterioration system, although eagerly await the A10 improvements to dressing AI for colonists. :)

Mussels

Quote from: Tynan on February 23, 2015, 01:37:34 PM
I agree with the OP. But to be clear, it's not deterioration that bothers him; it's micromanaging the results of that. Right?

Anyway, I responses to this same complain on reddit. Have a look see: http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/2wlavo/clothing_degradation_do_you_like_it_or_no/cos8q3v

what we need is a way to maintain the items the colonists are wearing - something akin to a medical bed (tailors something?) where you assign a medical bill "repair clothes" and they go lie down, and someone with the crafting skill fixes up their clothes. could be assigned automatically if they're in really bad condition, for example. (or the same for items not being worn, with your new system)

As for item degradation (i dont have a reddit account) - make skeletons rot faster. having dead squirrels scattered all over the map wouldnt be a big deal if they either rotted away faster, or some kind of scavenger animal ate them.

Andy_Dandy

I don't like the repair clothing suggestions. Will make tailoring new clothing and getting materials for it alot less important again. I'd rather see a wardrobe system, a new feature that rewards you for making wardrobes in colonist bedrooms etc, and a hauling system that keeps the wardrobes filled with the clothing you want with the quality you want.

Listen1

With the EdB colonist tab, you can see the stats in real time when they happen (Hurt, bleeding, without a weapon, cold, hot, stressed), maybe a improved version of that will be a nice addition.

Although that may be too big of a chance to the vanilla game, a tab inside wealth/graphs that show colonists problems and a picture of them may help with the micro management.

Notho

I don't mind it, but I wish there were a way to separate the tattered clothes from the new clothes, so whenever someone takes some new clothes, the tailoring bench will know to make a new set (if it's set up to keep a certain amount on hand).

Vexare

Some good suggestions here to ease the micromanagement issue with clothing. Personally I like the addition of clothing wear and tear but like others, I need a better way to manage it and know when colonists are going to need new stuff. It's not a big deal if you're playing a very small colony of just 3-6 members to keep track of them individually, but when you start building larger colonies of 15 or more, it does become a real chore on top of all the other things you're trying to juggle.

Edit: Not to take it off-topic but would be cool to have a 'recycler' of some sort that can recyle tattered clothing rather than just burning it in an incinerator. The recycle machine could handle other items (nearly broken weapons etc) and spit back out bits of metal, plastic or cloth that could be reassembled into larger quantities as it accumulates.

With the changes coming n A10, the rates are fine, and could even be a little higher. This will make crafting clothing more essential, as it is now, it's passable. Devilstrand growth rate needs to be tweaked, as it is now, it's practically impossible to make anything out of it, and buying it is unthinkable with the price nerfs.
Clothing deterioration could also be (if its not yet) dependent on tasks performed. Easy to figure a miner's clothing will rip apart rather quick.
For this to be efficient, however, we should have the option to assign specific pawns to specific benches, pick the best to craft the good stuff and leave the rookies to work stone. This would be a REALLY nice to have soon, imho.
The tattered debuff is overkill, as temporary as this situation is, it's permanent on already highly unstable pawns. Maybe it should be removed\halved till we get A10?

Notho

Quote from: 10001110 on February 24, 2015, 12:01:54 PM
With the changes coming n A10, the rates are fine, and could even be a little higher. This will make crafting clothing more essential, as it is now, it's passable. Devilstrand growth rate needs to be tweaked, as it is now, it's practically impossible to make anything out of it, and buying it is unthinkable with the price nerfs.
Clothing deterioration could also be (if its not yet) dependent on tasks performed. Easy to figure a miner's clothing will rip apart rather quick.
For this to be efficient, however, we should have the option to assign specific pawns to specific benches, pick the best to craft the good stuff and leave the rookies to work stone. This would be a REALLY nice to have soon, imho.
The tattered debuff is overkill, as temporary as this situation is, it's permanent on already highly unstable pawns. Maybe it should be removed\halved till we get A10?

I also want to be able to assign benches to people.

And, I thought of this today after my earlier post, if you could separate the stuff that's tattered from the new stuff, you could simply set the incinerator to get rid of it if it's starting to clog your stockpile. In my game, I haven't had an exotic goods trader in almost a full year...  >:(

Mussels

Quote from: Vexare on February 24, 2015, 11:30:27 AM
Some good suggestions here to ease the micromanagement issue with clothing. Personally I like the addition of clothing wear and tear but like others, I need a better way to manage it and know when colonists are going to need new stuff. It's not a big deal if you're playing a very small colony of just 3-6 members to keep track of them individually, but when you start building larger colonies of 15 or more, it does become a real chore on top of all the other things you're trying to juggle.

Edit: Not to take it off-topic but would be cool to have a 'recycler' of some sort that can recyle tattered clothing rather than just burning it in an incinerator. The recycle machine could handle other items (nearly broken weapons etc) and spit back out bits of metal, plastic or cloth that could be reassembled into larger quantities as it accumulates.

thats one of the best suggestions i've heard of so far. make it so you get 50% of the resources back, and have it so you can pick what quality they get recycled at.

Fussy about your clothing? make all items get recycled at 80%