Don't like the new item ruination

Started by TimTumm, February 23, 2015, 12:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_Dandy

[quote/]
thats one of the best suggestions i've heard of so far. make it so you get 50% of the resources back, and have it so you can pick what quality they get recycled at.

Fussy about your clothing? make all items get recycled at 80%
[/quote]

Don't like that suggestion at all. Would easely jump over the need to produce new quality clothing, and by that seriously reduce the strategical part of the game and nerf the whole mechanic of quality crafting drastically.

lusername

I've just given up on clothes. Let them be naked. It's only -3 for being naked, compared to -3 and -5 for worn-out clothes, and far less hassle to manage. If naked is only -3, worn clothing should be less than this, not more!

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: lusername on February 25, 2015, 07:10:25 AM
I've just given up on clothes. Let them be naked. It's only -3 for being naked, compared to -3 and -5 for worn-out clothes, and far less hassle to manage. If naked is only -3, worn clothing should be less than this, not more!
.    There are more benefits to clothing then avoiding the naked malus, even if they are worn out.

erdrik

Quote from: Tynan on February 23, 2015, 01:37:34 PM
I agree with the OP. But to be clear, it's not deterioration that bothers him; it's micromanaging the results of that. Right?

Anyway, I responses to this same complain on reddit. Have a look see: http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/2wlavo/clothing_degradation_do_you_like_it_or_no/cos8q3v

I don't use reddit, so Ill put my post here.
I think the rates(for non-consumables) should be lowered.
I have several shirts in my dresser right now that Ive had for about a decade.
They are faded to be sure, but they don't have any holes or tears either.

Considering this is a wild rimworld, I think 2-3 years for max untouched lifespan for cloths is good.
Ooo! Maybe even a trait that makes colonists less/more destructive towards their gear?

TheHiding

Automation of changing clothes would be nice.

Only other thing I could think of to improve things, is allow clothes of a chosen % of durability to be cremated. It's pretty worthless to sell now, and all the old junk clothing takes up to much room, so if I want all clothes under 60% to be burned, or 50%.. etc.

Vexare

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on February 25, 2015, 06:36:22 AM
Don't like that suggestion at all. Would easely jump over the need to produce new quality clothing, and by that seriously reduce the strategical part of the game and nerf the whole mechanic of quality crafting drastically.

How would material recycling nerf quality crafting? You still have to *make* the recycled cloth bits back into usable clothing, it's not recycling the fully tattered clothing item back into new - that's not my suggestion. My suggestion is a recycling machine that instead of incinerating tattered garments, spits out a few small pieces of usable cloth per piece you feed it, maybe less... a very tiny percentage compared to the number it takes to assemble a new piece of the same clothing. There's no way that would 'jump' over the need to produce new clothing because you couldn't sustain clothing production without new stuff - it just wouldn't be enough pieces of cloth to reproduce the amount you'd need per piece.

New clothing will still be a mandatory mechanic and still require good crafting skill to produce quality pieces. I'm just suggesting an alternative to burning everything in the incinerator for scraps.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: Vexare on February 25, 2015, 08:26:11 PM
Quote from: Andy_Dandy on February 25, 2015, 06:36:22 AM

How would material recycling nerf quality crafting? You still have to *make* the recycled cloth bits back into usable clothing, it's not recycling the fully tattered clothing item back into new - that's not my suggestion. My suggestion is a recycling machine that instead of incinerating tattered garments, spits out a few small pieces of usable cloth per piece you feed it, maybe less... a very tiny percentage compared to the number it takes to assemble a new piece of the same clothing. There's no way that would 'jump' over the need to produce new clothing because you couldn't sustain clothing production without new stuff - it just wouldn't be enough pieces of cloth to reproduce the amount you'd need per piece.

New clothing will still be a mandatory mechanic and still require good crafting skill to produce quality pieces. I'm just suggesting an alternative to burning everything in the incinerator for scraps.

If it's just to get some materials back I'm fine with it (as long as it costs investments in work, energy, researching of recycling, and materials + space for the recycling machine, but if it would work like in Mussels suggestion, where you can recycle the whole appearal or weapon and keep its quality, it would indeed hurt the importance of the crafting and quality system by alot. You'd soon get to a point where you wouldn't need to make any new quality objects, just recycling/repairing the old ones over and over and over again.

cultist

I really like the degradation system, but a bit more complexity would be nice. Staying inside 24/7 doing research really shouldn't degrade your clothes much, if at all. Growing crops, hunting, cooking and hauling should tear your clothes faster.
After doing a major surgery or patching up 3 people with lots of holes in them, the doctor would probably not want to wear those clothes anymore.

lusername

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on February 25, 2015, 10:13:37 AMThere are more benefits to clothing then avoiding the naked malus, even if they are worn out.
Such as what? Near as I can tell, armor is worthless. Even full power armor does not stop you from being mauled to death by squirrels. On top of that, being naked nearly doubles your hauling potential. You can strip two corpses worth of loot on one guy if he's naked, since he can strip one corpse, wear its stuff, and haul off the other corpse. Some of them even prefer being naked.

Zuban Artig

I wouldn't mind the item deterioration if

1. you could trade from inside (apparently you can do that now, yay!)
and
2. Pawns would equip better clothing by themselves (this also comes)

I never liked the outdoor storage anyway you had to have for trading. Now you have a valid gameplay reason for indoor storage of non-food items. That's a good thing.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: lusername on February 26, 2015, 04:47:52 AM
Quote from: Andy_Dandy on February 25, 2015, 10:13:37 AMThere are more benefits to clothing then avoiding the naked malus, even if they are worn out.
Such as what? Near as I can tell, armor is worthless. Even full power armor does not stop you from being mauled to death by squirrels. On top of that, being naked nearly doubles your hauling potential. You can strip two corpses worth of loot on one guy if he's naked, since he can strip one corpse, wear its stuff, and haul off the other corpse. Some of them even prefer being naked.

Nothing can protect you from squirrels if you don't know how to handle them, but wearing clothing with defensive bonuses indeed helps if it comes to a melee. Of course being naked when starting the hauling process helps when it comes to robbing bodies. So what? Does it help you if it's cold outside?

fraz

Regarding clothing and weapon damage/deterioration, I think it would be great if functional deterioration did not begin until the items drops below 80% health. That is, a piece of armor (or whatever) retains its full effectivess between 80-100%, and gradually loses its effectiveness below 80%.

This would ameliorate perfectionists' (like myself) maddening desire to constantly replace equipment to maintain 100% effectiveness (which is impossible when clothing begins to degrade immediately).

DarknessEyes

I also hate to micromanage all items on all colonists...

* Add a new structure, the closet
Colonists automatically get new clothes from closet when the old ones are ruined.
(you can chose wich type of clothes are stored in closet)

* Add new stucture, the Weaponry
Colonists automatically get new weapons from weaponry when the old ones are ruined.
(you can chose wich type of weapons are stored in weaponry)

* Add new stucture, the Armory
Colonists automatically get new armors from armory when the old ones are ruined.
(you can chose wich type of armors are stored in armory)

PS: Colonists also should wear/unwear clothes when its cold/hot.
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: DarknessEyes on February 26, 2015, 09:29:18 PM

Colonists automatically get new clothes from closet when the old ones are ruined.

Colonists automatically get new weapons from weaponry when the old ones are ruined.

Colonists automatically get new armors from armory when the old ones are ruined.

I like this idea way more because colonists could have favorite colors and junk, and be more happy when they wore clothing they like.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: ZestyLemons on February 27, 2015, 04:20:55 AM
Quote from: DarknessEyes on February 26, 2015, 09:29:18 PM

I like this idea way more because colonists could have favorite colors and junk, and be more happy when they wore clothing they like.

Good ideas, and I have a feeling Tynan will implement something like this. Also gives us more to place in bedrooms, and a need for at least one new kind of room; the arsenal (and perhaps also a wardrobe room for colonists
with small apartments). Me like.