[MOD] (Alpha9) Seasonal Wardrobe (1.0-9) A smart closet for your colonists!

Started by Friedmutant, February 24, 2015, 01:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friedmutant

Seasonal Wardrobe!

Description:
Seasonal Wardrobe is a smart piece of furniture to help your messy colonists organize their cold weather clothing so they are prepared for those chilly winters.

The wardrobe is a new piece of storage furniture.  During Spring and Summer, colonists will store their cold weather gear there to keep it organized and off the ground.  When Fall begins, the colonists will don their tuques and parkas and store whatever clothes were just replaced into the wardrobe, ready for Spring!

Screenshots

These forward-thinking colonists have stored their cold weather clothing in wardrobes in their bedrooms.  Smart move, pawns!

When the season turns, these colonists will not be caught out in the cold!  They automatically put on their cold weather gear.

Look at this!  These little smarties have put their warm weather gear away, looking forward to happier times in the Spring and Summer.

The long-awaited warm days have arrived, and like my own kids, they just dumped their dirty laundry on the floor when they changed clothing.  Haulers, get to work!

Additional Information

Apparel Notes
I define cold weather clothing thus:

• Head apparel with an Insulation_Cold stat of -10 or lower
  • Torso shell layer apparel with an Insulation_Cold stat of -30 or lower
Warm weather clothing is the same body covering/layer as the items above but with higher Insulation_Cold stats.
I believe it will work with any mod's clothing, but I have not tested that.

Wear Job Notes
Apparel wear jobs are given on the first day of Fall and again on the first day of Spring.

Storage Notes
The storage allowances are implemented as a finite state machine.  If it gets out of whack for any reason, there is a Reset Wardrobe command button which hopefully will correct the machine.

Future Notes
Issuing wear jobs simply because Fall or Spring have arrived will not be very smart choices for many types of maps.  For instance, colonists can get heat-stroke wearing parkas if the temperature is really warm during the winter.

So to fix this, I hope to implement something smarter that will take into account the average temperature for each month and make appropriate decisions regarding what is warm vs. cold weather clothing and when clothing should be changed.

Or, I might do something simpler and allow players to modify custom XML tags that work for their maps.  That's kind of clunky though.

Author/Mod Team
FriedMutant

With special thanks to these kind folks who shared their wisdom, their code, or both:

• Haplo
  • Rikiki
  • Mrofa
  • and of course the Mods/Help forum in general

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcqv7t82y7owv6a/SeasonalWardrobe.zip?dl=0

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Source:
http://goo.gl/SWVwrb

Novellum

This is a mod I didn't realize I needed until it's been made. Very nice!  ;D

DroneKiller320

Wow, sounds like a great mode can't wait to use it. I hated how it got hot in cold conditions or the other way round where I had a colonist in a bad mood because of the clothing they where wearing and I would have to constantly get then to change there cloths on my self.

Patrykbono20

Shinzy

Quote from: Patrykbono20 on February 24, 2015, 02:34:40 AM
should be working with Apparello ?

if it defines the clothing by it being an apparel and having the insulation thing
it should work with all the modded clothing the way I understand
imma test this out ofcourse =P while updating my mod

(also I love this mod already!)

Rock5

Brilliant. Didn't think anyone would be able to pull it off.

So it only works with cold weather gear? I only see cold weather gear. It should be able to not only remove cold weather gear but also switch for warm weather gear that increases warm weather tolerance. I did have a map once that was too hot during the Summer and too cold in the Winter.

As to when to switch, I notice when you select a region to play it has stats about the temperature on the left. Maybe you can use that info, if it's accessible during gameplay.

Or maybe you could just go by the outside temperature.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

akiceabear

With this would it also be possible to build a "armor rack" per pawn, which when enemies are detected forces a switch into the stored armor? Perhaps could use the logic in the automatic enemy power switches from PowerSwitch.

In the current version does it prioritize one type of parka (for example) over another - e.g. based on market value/quality?

Friedmutant

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone.  It is much appreciated, although I do note that this is feedback from my forum post, and not from actual gameplay.   ;)  Hopefully that feedback won't be too brutal.

Here's a lump of answers to the questions so far:

Quote from: Shinzy on February 24, 2015, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: Patrykbono20 on February 24, 2015, 02:34:40 AM
should be working with Apparello ?

if it defines the clothing by it being an apparel and having the insulation thing
it should work with all the modded clothing the way I understand
imma test this out ofcourse =P while updating my mod

(also I love this mod already!)

Exactly.  I comb the def database and pull out all apparel that matches my criteria.  I see no reason why modded apparel wouldn't work.  I've been meaning to verify this, but haven't had the time yet.

Quote from: Rock5 on February 24, 2015, 08:44:47 AM
So it only works with cold weather gear? I only see cold weather gear. It should be able to not only remove cold weather gear but also switch for warm weather gear that increases warm weather tolerance. I did have a map once that was too hot during the Summer and too cold in the Winter.

Sorry I didn't make this clearer in my post.  During Spring and Summer, the wardrobe will be set to 'Important' priority for the storage of exactly one cold-weather hat and one cold-weather torso shell.  In vanilla, that means tuques, parkas, and power-armor.  During Fall and Winter, the wardrobe will be set to the inverse of that.

I put in some extra checks to handle some corner cases.  For instance:

• When changing from warm to cold seasons and the wardrobe owner is wearing a cowboy hat (for example) and there is nothing better to wear in the wardrobe, then the colonist will keep their cowboy hat.  Call this the "When it's cold, something is better than nothing" rule.
  • Conversely, when changing from cold to warm seasons, colonists will always drop their cold weather gear, even if they have nothing to change into stored in the wardrobe.  Call this my "When it's war, nothing is better than something" rule.

QuoteAs to when to switch, I notice when you select a region to play it has stats about the temperature on the left. Maybe you can use that info, if it's accessible during gameplay.

Or maybe you could just go by the outside temperature.

Yes, as I mentioned in my "Future Notes", this is a direction I would like to pursue.  With Seasonal Wardrobe's current rules, it is really only use for colonies that have cold winters and warm summers.  Colonies that are cold/cold or warm/warm are better off without the wardrobe.

I usually play with cold/warm colonies, and got frustrated with the amount of micro-management required to make sure my pawns had sufficient cold weather gear stored away and that said gear was safe from me accidentally selling it off to clear my stockpiles.

Quote from: akiceabear on February 24, 2015, 09:46:41 AM
With this would it also be possible to build a "armor rack" per pawn, which when enemies are detected forces a switch into the stored armor? Perhaps could use the logic in the automatic enemy power switches from PowerSwitch.

Yes, probably -- and that's an interesting solution to a problem with the mod as it now stands.  If enemies attack on the first day of Spring, colonist wearing power armor will go change into their jackets!  I could also fix this by lowering the Insulation_Cold stat requirement to exclude power armor (power armor is -30, parkas are -45).

In the current version does it prioritize one type of parka (for example) over another - e.g. based on market value/quality?

No, it does not.  That would be a nice feature, although at this point I'm not sure how to do it.  Storage allowances work on ThingDefs, but I believe market value/quality are properties of Things.  I'll look into it.

Tschüss!

Humort

I would suggest that there was a small request, could you add the same store, but for example, medication, or other things? The mess at the base, already tired, and want to be able to put all on special racks, but these exist only for weapons, and you have to wear...
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

Etherdreamer

Dude, this is great, I was thinking if this even could be possible some days ago, and now is real. TY!

Friedmutant

Quote from: Humort on February 25, 2015, 02:28:58 AM
I would suggest that there was a small request, could you add the same store, but for example, medication, or other things? The mess at the base, already tired, and want to be able to put all on special racks, but these exist only for weapons, and you have to wear...

Take a look at mrofa's Clutter mod, I think you'll find what you're looking for there:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2541.0

Humort

Quote from: Friedmutant on February 25, 2015, 12:35:20 PMTake a look at mrofa's Clutter mod, I think you'll find what you're looking for there: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2541.0
Thank you very much, I'm sure I will look this mod, unfortunately, automatic translation, gives absolutely the opposite description of what I'm looking for, but a picture like that is necessary ..

P.S. I looked here mod, of which you spoke. There's too much pathos, and opportunities. I offer to do something simple, such as a standard store, but with the opportunity to lay down there, anything.... (Store, you can make one square or two). I would be very grateful if you would respond to my request.
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

skullywag

My more storage mod has some random storage things for storing things. Medicine cabinet, meal tray rack, hazmat container etc...

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6315.0

ontopic...I would look into haplos misc mod and Ts mod for threat based stuff and try to work out how to make pawns grab guns and armour when under threat, overriding the "wear cold weather clothes in winter".
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?