Local jail needs help

Started by Workload, November 13, 2013, 05:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Workload

A local jail will ask you to hold onto a prisoner for a period of time. Paying you for keeping them in your jail for a set time. Can't recruit them or else the jail well not pay you or send troops after you for breaking the law. One bad thing about this is that there gang members could try to sping them from jail. Other thing he/she can start fighting other prisoners or try to espace more offen. I like this gives more to the jail system.

Amaror

This is supposed to take place on a rimworld.
That means no big towns or prisons or law inforcements.

deadbeat88

I like the idea. why dont we call ourself as prison architects while at it.
Whatever you do, don't do it!

JayNic

I too would like to see an interaction between other possible settlements or camps.

The "it's a Rim World" argument is used way too often to justify not adding features...

The fact is: between the raiders, traders, and wanderers there are hundreds of people passing this planet every month.

Wopian

Kinda goes against the story of crashing onto a rim world. It's highly unlikely to be a prison that far out.

Bobstudios | James Harris Creative Design

Galileus

Could work with the setting if stretched far enough, just sounds unbelievable. Some random guys asking you to hold their prisoner? Why not let him go straight away?

Workload

Sorry I missed that it was a jail in space asking you and they come as a trader or the slave trader asks you to do this for him. If a trader can get to you why can't anything else?

mumblemumble

I see no logic in this whatsoever, the world is supposed to be fairly desolate, besides those who crash / traders passing through the system. A "local" jail defies logic, since there would be no jail on the planet, and I'm POSITIVE that the jail could find more  convenient, reputable, and closeby solutions to a large prisoner population than some colony of strangers which most likely cant be trusted.

And no, the "rim-world excuse" isn't blocking features all the time, its just supposed to be something of the wilderness, and being stranded, your only outside communication is a "business only" channel to buy supplies. Plenty ideas are ok with most people, just not ones which clash with this vibe greatly (It makes all sorts of plot problems).
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

JayNic

I disagree with people saying it's not realistic... We build jails - why not someone else?

Luckless

If characters were given more personality traits (that actually had a real effect on the game) then I could see traders 'requesting' you to take a problem crew member off your hands.

Expanding personality/mental state stuff could give us more for scientist types to do. Psychological evaluations to identify 'hidden' traits before you just add a former prisoner to your colony.

There are a number of ways that adding new members and new prisoners can work while maintaining the whole idea of it being far away from civilization.

Galileus

Quote from: JayNic on November 13, 2013, 04:03:25 PMI disagree with people saying it's not realistic... We build jails - why not someone else?

Oh, the "there are other jails in universe" part is quite realistic. It's the "we hand over our prisoners to some random dudes on desolated planet we didn't even knew exists like it's candy" part I fins a bit lacking :)

Nasikabatrachus

Sparrow, Captain, has landed nearby. He is a space captain who was forced off of his ship by a mutiny. The mutineers gave him only an antiquated pistol with one shot.

"Where's the rum?"

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on November 13, 2013, 04:50:10 PMSparrow, Captain, has landed nearby. He is a space captain who was forced off of his ship by a mutiny. The mutineers gave him only an antiquated pistol with one shot.

"Where's the rum?"

Hahahahaaaaah!

That would be crazy. But crazy awesome, too. Putting up with Capin' Jack's craziness.
Raiders must die!

Nasikabatrachus

"How did he escape?"

"He lashed together some solid rocket boosters."

"But what did he lash them together with?"

"Human hair. From my back."

Workload

Maybe they only ask you cause it's there only choice and there jail is full or they need to hide him off the grid, so his/her gang can't find them and blow up the jail in space or on a different planet/whatever
I agree that is should fit rimworld theme