Alternative to personal energy shields

Started by Sorenzo, February 24, 2015, 05:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorenzo

Hey

When I first read the update, I didn't realize the personal shields would be energy shields. I thought they'd be like riot shields (which suggests a possible medieval version? Bucklers maybe?)

If the personal energy shield doesn't conform to the theme of the game, or if they don't work out gameplay-wise, I really think it'd make sense to just give people actual shields, stretching from crappy tribal varieties to high-tech nanofibre devices. We wouldn't have to make up some reason why the shields aren't compatible with ranged weapons; Simply say they're too bulky or make them severely limit a character's aim if used with a ranged weapon.

I personally don't understand what the energy shields are doing in the game. It seems like a perfectly inefficient and unnecessarily expensive way to protect yourself, and they just don't fit the realistic-sci-fi theme. It's not like the giant magnetic repulsors we'd put on starships could simply be downscaled and carried around on a battlefield without anything interfering with them. We have no bloody idea how we could create a device like the personal shield in the game, which separates them from every other thing in the game. And, I think, for no reason; Actual high-tech shields are perfectly capable of stopping bullets.

Thanks for reading

cultist

Quote from: Sorenzo on February 24, 2015, 05:40:12 AM
I personally don't understand what the energy shields are doing in the game. It seems like a perfectly inefficient and unnecessarily expensive way to protect yourself, and they just don't fit the realistic-sci-fi theme. It's not like the giant magnetic repulsors we'd put on starships could simply be downscaled and carried around on a battlefield without anything interfering with them. We have no bloody idea how we could create a device like the personal shield in the game, which separates them from every other thing in the game. And, I think, for no reason; Actual high-tech shields are perfectly capable of stopping bullets.

Thanks for reading
An actual shield only stops bullets if you point the shield in the right direction... I'll take the magic 360 degree shield any day, thanks.
As for realism, err... mechanoids?

MsMeiriona

Someone hasn't read their Dune. The shields are based on the Holtzman Shields from that universe.

Kegereneku

Myself I find them very useful and quite balanced, although I wish they were a rare technology (a step above power armor).

First they make Melee warrior possible at all.
Second they allow for novel strategy
- making mobile human shield
- allow to capture/save someone mid-battle
- allow someone to continuously repair turrets, finally compensating for numeric disadvantage
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Vagabond

Hello,

I think they should be based on Apophis' personal energy shield in Stargate SG-1. As long as the object isn't travelling to fast, it will penetrate. So punches, swords, arrows, and maybe early muzzleloaders would penetrate the shield. This would mean that you could use those types of weapons form inside the shield.

I don't understand why you wouldn't just stick the barrel of your gun outside the shield and shoot...THey create a field around you; they aren't form fitting, it would seem.

THey should just have a certain amount of charges that replenish over time..

In regards to conventional shields, I'd love to see them. Provide X amount of cover based on size, and a chance to actively block a hit. I don't see why you couldn't use a one handed gun with it, however.

Would be cool to have your buddy in front of you act like a wall with his big old riot shield and be able to "peek" around him and shoot.

Remember, enemies will be using this too. So, pretty sure it balances itself. Importantly, it adds variety; new strategy.

Cheers,
Michael

cultist

Quote from: MsMeiriona on February 24, 2015, 03:25:24 PM
Someone hasn't read their Dune. The shields are based on the Holtzman Shields from that universe.
Kids these days... with all their Star Flicks and Guardians of the Universe... can't appreiciate a good Holtzman when they see one... *angry muttering*

Ember

Quote from: Kegereneku on February 24, 2015, 03:38:26 PM

- allow someone to continuously repair turrets, finally compensating for numeric disadvantage

shields only seem to turn on when the colonist is drafted, and since you cant repair while drafted, the shield cant be used in such a way

CodyRex123

They enable when hit also, Set a colonist on fire who has one, you'll see.
Dragons!

skullywag

Yeah on taking damage theres a check for apparel to work out damage done. The shields absorb damage method is called in that check so it does its absorb hence you see the shield.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Sorenzo

I have, actually. Dune is a fiction book.

And I'm definately in favour of the shields gameplay-wise. I just think *actual* shields fit the game lore better and carry the same benefits. A 55th century riot shield could probably stop a shot from a Lee-Enfield rifle, too. And they'll definately exist.

cultist

Quote from: Sorenzo on February 27, 2015, 04:27:21 AM

I have, actually. Dune is a fiction book.

And I'm definately in favour of the shields gameplay-wise. I just think *actual* shields fit the game lore better and carry the same benefits. A 55th century riot shield could probably stop a shot from a Lee-Enfield rifle, too. And they'll definately exist.
I really don't understand you chain of reasoning here. Rimworld is also a fictional universe, but it's not allowed to draw inspiration from other fictions, only your assumptions of what real life is 3000 years from now? How does that make any sense? How could any of us have even the slightest idea what the world looks like in the year 5000?

Sorenzo

The Quick Primer:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

It mentions several technologies that will exist in 5500. It specifically says the game will involve no FTL technology. Some unspecific technologies are listed, but most are specific technologies that 2015 humans are currently developing or are hypothesised by 2015 futurists.

The Rimworld main page (http://rimworldgame.com/), in addition, makes mention of "a near-magical teleportation device". I think teleportation may also not comport to the theme as described, though not fully fleshed out, in the Primer. Regardless, I think the spirit of the Primer suggests that wholly imaginary technologies should be limited, especially when realistic alternatives exist.

But I might be wrong. I don't intend to complain, merely to point out that physical shields would be pretty cool and that energy shields don't make sense.

As for Dune, I generally despise mixing fictitious universes. When it turns out that the zombies are actually an alien plague, I tend to close the book. It kills immersion, in my opinion, both because adding several unlikely premises makes the story seem less plausible, but also because it literally pulls your attention out of the story you're trying to be immersed in.

A more realistic version of a high-tech personal shield would be a device which can tell if a projectile is coming towards the user and then fires radiation, like a laser, towards the projectile, either stopping or vaporizing it or simply relieving it of sufficient energy to make it miss.

Like the Israeli Iron Dome, except it'd actually work. And use lasers (like certain weapons the navy is testing).

Anyway, I am certainly no authority. If Tynan says the Hohenzollern effect is "near-magical" reason for the shields to work, he's the boss. I just like the fact that shields could be added to characters from both high- and low-tech cultures, and that the shields would be more in line with the kind of technology you actually find on the Rimworld. It's weird when raiders show up with energy shields and awful stone shivs or wooden clubs. Why don't they have energy swords? Or wooden shields? They're lucky to have a sniper rifle or an assault rifle, but they can buy 100-packs of personal Heisenberg Effect shields for 99 silvers at their local Bubba's Gas and Grub?

P.S. If anyone recognizes that reference and is duly repulsed by the mixing of yet another sci-fi universe, I salute you.

MsMeiriona

You don't mix lasguns and shields, man! Bad things happen. BAAD things.

Also, Dune is listed explicitly as one of the influences on the setting.

Quote from: The Main PageInspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, and the epic scale of Dune and Warhammer 40,000.

So, again, I'm really baffled by why you're having a problem with that.

cultist

Quote from: Sorenzo on February 27, 2015, 10:43:16 AMAs for Dune, I generally despise mixing fictitious universes.
Okay, I'm going to have to ask you to be a bit more clear on what you mean here... because every story told draws inspiration from previous works, that is both obvious and to be expected. Rimworld's universe is not "mixed" with Dune's because they have a few things in common. There are no giant worms, no spice, no Paul Atreides, none of the elements that define the story that Dune tells in Rimworld.

REMworlder

I like the idea of a mix of shield types. Though right now the game has full-body shields, energy shields that only cover part of the body (Dune's half shields) could be cool to have.

The Warhammer 40k universe also has forcefield-like shielding devices (conversion field generators?) that only protect part of the body, like Iron Halos. So you could have energy shield head protection gear to cut down your colonists getting 360 noscoped.

Thinking of 40k, reductor fields that reduce the velocity of incoming rounds could be an interesting armor type too.