The right heating system

Started by Humort, February 24, 2015, 06:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humort

The game is a bit wrong type of heating. That is, in the game the heater heats the air, and then the heat goes into the wall, I offer a more correct heating system. To do so, so that the heater was heated wall, and then from the wall, went heating air. Heating walls, propose "stove" that is, to lay on the walls of the pipes, conductive heat.
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

MrSurvivor

Well if you're talking about heat transfer between walls there is a very good heating mod that is called Central Heating.
It adds vents that basically are placed like coolers and that transfer temp without giving away safety. Well if you want heating walls...that would be a little op to me would it not?

Humort

Quote from: MrSurvivor on February 24, 2015, 10:13:30 AMWell if you're talking about heat transfer between walls there is a very good heating mod that is called Central Heating. It adds vents that basically are placed like coolers and that transfer temp without giving away safety. Well if you want heating walls...that would be a little op to me would it not?

I know about fashion Central heating, but I mean something else to understand me, what I mean, enough to know either system, furnace heating, or water heating.
1) for hollow walls extends a warm air throughout the structure,
2) - pipes covered hot water, which heats the room. In both cases, you need to modify the wall.
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

akiceabear

There is a floor heating (radiant heating) mod by Igabod (I think) which partly approximates this.

Humort

Quote from: akiceabear on February 24, 2015, 12:03:02 PMThere is a floor heating (radiant heating) mod by Igabod (I think) which partly approximates this.
Yes, I have seen this mod, but it is not economical heating system, which I offer, is distinguished primarily by the fact that heating of the entire complex, is one of the boiler, and not on each item.

akiceabear

Could this be accomplished by making the vents in the other mod 100% (or something close) efficient/instant in equalizing heat between two rooms, and then develop a new "central heater" that is placed just once in a facility?

Humort

Quote from: akiceabear on February 24, 2015, 12:47:24 PMCould this be accomplished by making the vents in the other mod 100% (or something close) efficient/instant in equalizing heat between two rooms, and then develop a new "central heater" that is placed just once in a facility?

As if to explain to you what I mean?

Central heating = furnace
heat pipe = As the pipe inside the wall, heat carrier (air or water) - As the wire in the wall is not visible
Thermal battery = the hub of heat for heating rooms

In the end, we get a standard, integrated heating.

Kegereneku

Woah got to stop OP right now !
There's NOTHING wrong in how the game deal with heat (aside assuming isothermal distribution).
It's even more correct than what you are describing.

Electric heater DO heat the surrounding air, it's their very goal, and the walls goal is to insulate keep the heat/cold inside/outside the very opposite of conducting heat.

In our "20th century civilization" we sometime use central heater conveying hot liquid through pipes up to the radiator meant to heat up the surrounding air, but you could very well insulate the pipe and make it pass in a cold chamber if you wanted.
And anyway that's only A WAY of doing so.

A better addition to the game would be :
- A heating wall (use electricity to heat up to room at once)
- Air vents (non passable, still let heat pass)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Humort

Quote from: Kegereneku on February 24, 2015, 02:01:42 PMWoah got to stop OP right now ! There's NOTHING wrong in how the game deal with heat (aside assuming isothermal distribution). It's even more correct than what you are describing.  Electric heater DO heat the surrounding air, it's their very goal, and the walls goal is to insulate keep the heat/cold inside/outside the very opposite of conducting heat.  In our "20th century civilization" we sometime use central heater conveying hot liquid through pipes up to the radiator meant to heat up the surrounding air, but you could very well insulate the pipe and make it pass in a cold chamber if you wanted. And anyway that's only A WAY of doing so.  A better addition to the game would be : - A heating wall (use electricity to heat up to room at once) - Air vents (non passable, still let heat pass)

Either you don't understand what I want to say, or so the Google translator. Good that you understood at least some of my ideas, but apparently you do not get the idea on what to spend electrical energy on a bunch of heaters, it is too wasteful for the colonies, moreover, that even primitive medieval furnace heating is more economical than what the game offers, and in General, I would capital steam geyser, on heating, it would be more rational. If the author really wants to "science fiction", and will be able to understand how to interpret my translator, he will listen to what I say, otherwise, really, I have to go to those who make fashion...

Kegereneku

I think I understood you enough, unless your translator is really horrible and what make you sound like an arrogant persons.
You have no right (or reasons) to claim your suggestion as some sort of superior truth as if you knew SF "better" than other.

For starter the heater-to-air temperature system we have now work quite well and is realistic.
Then, in science-fiction building a electric-heater is simplicity itself and more efficient than primitive pipe-based radiator, it is also very modular hence quite fitting here.
Amongst other thing, Tynan face the difficulty of creating new features and the items that use them without upsetting global balance.
I do not consider myself overwhelmed by the investment of heater at strategic location and simple Air-vent and double-sided wall-heater would easily lessen the cost, both in energy and metal.

Tynan just have to get around making those. He won't if he have to keep rewriting the code.

Aside I would love to tranform Geyser into relaxing hot-bath
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Humort

Believe me, the translator, you sound no less arrogant, and I constantly have to deal with emotions. And now, back to the topic. I'm not saying that the implemented system in the game, not the right. I only said that my proposed system would be more appropriate and economical. If I had the programming skills, you already would have created a mod with a similar heating system. Of course, people try to make fashion, but they are either not economical or wrong. Think about it, why put individual heaters in each room, when they can be combined into a single system, with pipes? It is hard for me to simplify it for a translator if there was someone who could translate what I said, handing the General sense, I would be happy.

cultist

I think I get it - central (air) heating is incredibly wasteful, energy-wise. Basically any other method uses less energy, which would be important in a frontier settlement with a limited energy supply. This is what you find unrealistic right?

erdrik

I don't believe anything in the game is meant to be truly appropriate and economical.
If I recall correctly the game is based on a "Wild West" theme.

Its why gun turrets explode like bombs, and other such oddities.

You are on a rimworld making due with scrap.
Its the central theme to the game and I don't think that will, or should, ever change.
(If you want that to change you are better posting a request in the mod forum)

Humort

Quote from: erdrik on February 25, 2015, 01:36:30 AMI don't believe anything in the game is meant to be truly appropriate and economical. If I recall correctly the game is based on a "Wild West" theme.  Its why gun turrets explode like bombs, and other such oddities.  You are on a rimworld making due with scrap.  Its the central theme to the game and I don't think that will, or should, ever change. (If you want that to change your better posting a request in the mod forum)

If the game is running aborigines, as well as have the opportunity to wear a hat like a cowboy, it does not mean that the game is made in the style of the wild West, at least, I noticed a bunch of different things that are not typical for that era. The lack of alternative heating systems, I associate only with the fact that the author of the game, still, was not to improve the heating system and energy saving. About energy saving, I do see a lot wrong moments, for example, that the colonists more comfortable sleeping in the light, and was very unhappy when the light during sleep, is missing. But, in large colonies, turning out the lights at bedtime, as well, would save lot of electricity.... Before proceeding to challenge my idea, tell me, in your house are separate heaters for each room, as in the game, and you, when you go to sleep, be sure to turn on the light? If Yes, then I will stop arguing and go out in search of mordodelov to do the mod for those who agree with me.

erdrik

I thought Tynan fixed the darkness mood while sleeping a long time ago?
I know it doesn't show up for me any more...

And Im not saying its a wild west theme because of the 'aborigines' and cowboy hats.
Im saying it because Im pretty sure I read it somewhere.
Ill see if I can find it.

EDIT:
Here we go.
Very first lines of the rimworld home page:

QuoteRimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of the galaxy.

Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly...