No Gratitude

Started by Silvador, February 24, 2015, 11:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

So, I'm really, really happy with the ability to rescue random strangers that aren't part of my colony. I just never felt right with the choice of either "leave them to die" or "capture and imprison", but since the only way to save their life was to capture and imprison them, that was what I did, even though I didn't much like tossing them in a jail cell for no real reason.

But, now I'm finding myself almost wanting to put them in that prison cell in order to save their life. Seems kind of a weird turn around, but... I guess I just feel unappreciated when I see a random escape pod crash to the ground, go out and haul back the person who popped out of it, bleeding and broke, expend valuable food and medical supplies on them to save their life when they mean literally nothing to me... and then just have them up and leave in the middle of the night. XD

Is there meant to be some chance that they will join the colony after you've saved their life? I know it's possible to have a random passer-by join the colony out of the blue, because I've had it happen once (seen it once more in a Let's Play). But I've saved several lives now and they have all just left without so much as even a thank you.

Are there plans to flesh this out, at all? If not, could there be? I think it would be nice to have the person whose life I have saved hang around for a day or two, maybe even lend a hand with some things as a thank you for saving their life. Or even just a little message like "So-and-so is leaving now, and are greatly thankful to your colony for saving their life."

A trivial thing, perhaps, but something that I think would greatly add to the life of the game, giving a warm fuzzy feeling for saving a random life and making them seem less like... just another event like an eclipse or crop obliterating blight.

Vexare

I really think for neutral / randoms you should get the option to recruit them or at least have them stay around and randomly help out for awhile before leaving. Neighboring colonies I can understand them wanting to get back to their own colony as soon as they're well enough to get up and around. I thought you got a faction bonus for doing that - is it not working? I haven't had any injured neighbor colonists yet in my current game.

I did have 5 neutrals pop out of crypto-sleep caskets, all very sick or injured but for the first time ever NOT aggro/violent. My colony nursed 4 out of 5 back to health (one died of infection) but they were all 'guests' and so they wandered off. Not one of them stayed. That was sad :(

Between giving them shelter or stripping then out and leaving them to die, it's all about kindness, i guess. Reality is, if they have good traits and skills, we WILL want them to join, and throwing them in prison like any other bloodthirsty enemy is harsh. They could just offer to stay IF we have a decent base, not necessarily statues, flowers, carpet and marble floors everywhere, but clean and prosperous, and we could decide to accept or not. Then i wouldn't feel guilty about that poor sod that burned in the atmosphere and almost got ripped to shreds. After all, they have nowhere
else to go right?   

Silvador

Quote from: Vexare on February 24, 2015, 12:10:18 PM
I really think for neutral / randoms you should get the option to recruit them or at least have them stay around and randomly help out for awhile before leaving. Neighboring colonies I can understand them wanting to get back to their own colony as soon as they're well enough to get up and around. I thought you got a faction bonus for doing that - is it not working? I haven't had any injured neighbor colonists yet in my current game.

I did have 5 neutrals pop out of crypto-sleep caskets, all very sick or injured but for the first time ever NOT aggro/violent. My colony nursed 4 out of 5 back to health (one died of infection) but they were all 'guests' and so they wandered off. Not one of them stayed. That was sad :(

I think I only ever had one guy from another colony need healing. Everyone else were just random pod... people... from space... ahem, anyway. I honestly didn't take any notice if the one guy I healed from a neighboring faction increased my relationship with them. I would assume it does, though, or would do in the future if it doesn't now.

But, yeah, some kind of acknowledgement would be nice to have instead of them just leaving as soon as they are able to.

Vexare

The random pod people should definitely want to stay around and join you ... where else are they going to go? They take a risk walking off by themselves into the wilds to be captured by pirates or hostile tribals so to me it makes sense you should be able to recruit them without having to 'capture' them first to do it.

Now neighboring friendly outlander towns should be a bit trickier. Someone in your colony with a very high social skill could probably coax them into leaving their old colony and joining yours but there should definitely be some compelling reason such as your colony's wealth and comfort are higher. They came and helped defend your colony from a raider attack and got injured, you nursed them back to health (I've had it happen several times now) and then they should be fairly anxious to get back to their own colonies so I'm ok with that with maybe the rare chance of them offering to stay and join yours.

Matthiasagreen

the issue is that you are clicking a non-drafted colonist and clicking rescue. You need to draft the colonist and choose arrest. This will allow you to do it the way you used to in Alpha 8.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Vexare

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on February 24, 2015, 12:56:04 PM
the issue is that you are clicking a non-drafted colonist and clicking rescue. You need to draft the colonist and choose arrest. This will allow you to do it the way you used to in Alpha 8.

But why do have to 'arrest' a non-violent non-aggressive person just to recruit them? Is there never a friendly way to recruit someone to join your colony?

This goes back to the very reason we asked for a viable alternative to 'arresting' neighbors and neutrals in the first place. We don't want faction hits and angry neighbors but we *do* want happy / friendly guests who we have the option to recruit. It's two separate issues that rely on the same mechanic I guess. I hope this makes sense.

I'd like the option to recruit neutral characters who I rescued from an escaped space pod or those who pop out of cryptocaskets and are not hostile. Additionally, I think it would be cool if neighboring outlander town's citizens I rescue from raider attacks (or who are injured while helping me defend mine) would be somewhat persuasively attuned to joining my colony somehow if I want them or if they randomly offer to stay.

The OP is just looking for a 'thank you' but I'm taking it a step further and saying "hey if you're happy with how we treated you while you were our 'guest' why not stay and join us?"

TheSilencedScream

I don't think there's currently any chance of them joining you, if you rescue them, but I agree - it'd be a nice addition to add as an event.

Perhaps have a warden treat injured guests like they do prisoners and, trying to recruit until the guest is fully healed (when they're fully healed, they leave - but have the possibility of recruiting them before they're fully healed).
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

digitCruncher

The issue is naming. 'Rescue' means that you capture them, heal them, and then they leave, giving you better diplomatic relations from whatever tribe or settlement they came from. Of course, this means that if you try to 'rescue' crash-landed people, the person leaves, and gives you a diplomatic relation boost with a faction that doesn't live on-planet.

What you want is 'capture'. This means that you capture them, heal them, and they don't leave, but you get a diplomatic penalty from whatever tribe or settlement they come from. For crash-landed people, you get a diplo penalty with a faction that doesn't live on-planet!

I think the 'rescue' option should be disabled for when people crash-land on the surface, because this is a common misunderstanding.

Silvador

Just had a random pod-person drop down on my map. Middle of winter, biggest map size, completely painted white with snow. Went out, brought them back, bandaged them up, fed them a nice Fine Meal... day or two later I see them wondering off... in the middle of the night... at -11C... They were shivering from hypothermia once again before they got half way to the edge of the map. I watched them go and was honestly expecting to have to go out and rescue them a second time from them collapsing in the cold. XD

I guess they really didn't like my corn on the cob...

Boboid

I think it's mostly that you people have a strange idea of what "Rescue" means to someone who you know, was a person before they landed on your planet.

If you were say... a space janitor and due to an inexplicable series of events involving a total misunderstanding you were beaten up and jettisoned onto a rimworld, and four lunatics living in the middle of nowhere with three guns each, a mountain fortress, and 35 graves on their front doorstep, and a suspicious amount of nondescript pale leather-goods... and a weird freezer behind the normal one that smelled funny, hauled you back, treated you with grass and moss even though they had easy access to commercial medicine a whole two feet from your bed.. Wouldn't you be keen to leave too?

Rimworld colonists are NUTS. When I see a crashed pawn I don't go " Oh lets go rescue him " I rub my hands together cackling " More cogs for my machine! "
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

tommytom

I don't think it should be removed. It should be renamed for off-world factions (drop pods and cryo) from "rescue" to "rescue and release".

And, yes, there should be more gratitude, like their ship (a bit later) sends you an envelope saying "thanks for saving blah blah, here is *random item*" and something like a sniper rifle will drop at your trade beacon or some silver, or useless junk to troll you like rotten muffalo corpses.

tommytom

Quote from: Boboid on February 24, 2015, 06:01:34 PM
I think it's mostly that you people have a strange idea of what "Rescue" means to someone who you know, was a person before they landed on your planet.

If you were say... a space janitor and due to an inexplicable series of events involving a total misunderstanding you were beaten up and jettisoned onto a rimworld, and four lunatics living in the middle of nowhere with three guns each, a mountain fortress, and 35 graves on their front doorstep, and a suspicious amount of nondescript pale leather-goods... and a weird freezer behind the normal one that smelled funny, hauled you back, treated you with grass and moss even though they had easy access to commercial medicine a whole two feet from your bed.. Wouldn't you be keen to leave too?

Rimworld colonists are NUTS. When I see a crashed pawn I don't go " Oh lets go rescue him " I rub my hands together cackling " More cogs for my machine! "
Wow, that's just hilarious. Never thought about that. You should have posted that in the "you know you have played too much rimworld when" thread. ;)

litlbear

capture escape pod people.  rescue allies.
yes

Eleazar

I'd like it if "Rescuing" faction-less had a chance of motivating the pawn to voluntarily joining your colony as soon as he's healed.  Depending on the pawns experience in the colony combined with a die roll.

Certainty wouldn't be very interesting, but either way, there should be some sort of message.