Perishable and Degradable Items

Started by Darth Fool, February 24, 2015, 01:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Fool

I would like to see items reorganized in the stockpile interface and slightly change the categorization of a few items.  The hierarchy should be changed to start with three top levels: Perishable, Degradable, and Rugged.  Beneath Perishable would be everything that can suffer from decay unless refrigerated/frozen.  Beneath Degradable would be anything that can be eroded by being left outside.  Finally, Rugged items would be anything that can be safely left outside(in all current biomes) and will not degrade with time.  This would allow making specialized stockpiles a bit easier to designate since the most commonly associated items would be under one heading (Food and Medicine in the freezer.  Apparel and weapons inside storage rooms, metal and stone blocks outside.)  An example of the top level hierarchy follows.

Perishable
    Food
    Medicine
    Body Parts
    Corpses
Degradable
    Items
    Weapons
    Apparel
    Textiles
Rugged
    Raw Materials
    Chunks   
Note that with this, wood would move from degradable to rugged, which to me makes sense. 
Comments?

Eleazar

I support this idea, it would often save time.

Quote from: Darth Fool on February 24, 2015, 01:59:27 PM
Note that with this, wood would move from degradable to rugged, which to me makes sense. 
To be clear, you are suggesting that wood no longer degrade outside?  If so, i agree, a felled tree trunk lasts for years out in the elements.

And body-parts are currently non-perishable. Are you suggesting a change, or committed a mistake?

Novellum

I would like to point out that with this you would have to have herbal medicine under perishable, and then medicine and glitterworld medicine under degradable. That would be slightly more confusing than having to test trial and error. And at the moment beer doesn't even degrade or perish, so it would then be moved under rugged. And I think the same goes for body parts, though I'm unsure if they degrade outside, they certainly don't perish.

Darth Fool

yes to be clear, I am suggesting that some things should change in which category they fall.  So in my proposed balance, all medicine would be one or the other.  Perhaps medicine could be degradable and herbal medicine would be split into herbs(harvested perishable items) and herbal medicine (degradable, cooked at a cooking stove).  I am also in favor of perishable body parts, but mostly, I would like the ability to set up stock piles for my freezers without having to dig through multiple levels to include only those things that need it.

tommytom

Well, there is already a * system for rotting or colonist corpes like "*allow rotting" which can apply to several things.

Maybe set something similar for "^non-perishable only" and/or mark all perishables or non-perishables with a character like "^".

Eleazar

Quote from: Novellum on February 24, 2015, 05:24:00 PM
I would like to point out that with this you would have to have herbal medicine under perishable, and then medicine and glitterworld medicine under degradable. That would be slightly more confusing than having to test trial and error.

I think the very slight increase in learning curve is justified by the increase in convenience for all the other hours thereafter.

Or as D. Fool suggests, the perishability/degradability on a few items could be altered to keep all similar things together.

Also, I greet Darth Fool, since i'm now certain he's the same Darth Fool i used to know working on Battle for Wesnoth. (Not that that name is very common)

Darth Fool

Yes, tis I.  Hello. I thought you might be the same Eleazar, but it has been many years since I have done any work on Battle for Wesnoth.  Loved your artwork.