Combat medics

Started by cultist, February 24, 2015, 02:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cultist

I think some sort of instant treatment option could be nice.
For example, it could be an item that replaces a weapon (making the colonist defenseless), which could then be used to heal wounded/incapped colonists, possibly bringing them back in the fight or at least keeping them alive while the fight plays out.
It should probably carry a penalty as well, such as reducing healing power by 50%, increasing the risk of scars and such.
This would give non-violent colonists like empaths a purpose in fights. Mine mostly just wait it out in a safe place, drafted, so they don't wander around and get killed by accident.

Humort

The idea of a military medic interesting, but in this version, too cheated. Yes, it would be not bad if the medic can stop the bleeding, but if the ally is unconscious, it is only to make the battlefield...
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

Gonumen

The idea itself is nice, but you can do something like this right now.
Create a zone with critical priority for medpacks Only, and make your medic haul the items there Just after you send your colonists on Battlefield. Whenever someone is injured or needs rescue, Create medical sleeping spot and haul that colonist there and heal him.

However if there was a way to make that easier, that'd be nice, but overpowered medpacks would not Only be used in combat.

Sartain

Some sort of basic treatment before you drag someone all the way back to base, and they bleed out on the way, would be nice. I mean sure, they should still risk dying before coming back but you could at least plug the major holes before carrying people off.

tommytom

You could always make "waypoint" emergency medical rooms.

like just by the "kill box", half way to besieger locations, etc.

Plop a critical stockpile zone next to a medical bed with walls/door. Forbid it until needed. The hard part would be splitting the resources evenly, unless you plant WAY TOO MUCH herbs and have a stack of 75 in each emergency medical building and somehow power it with a cooler keeping it fresh.

Also, it would probably have to be tucked away as raiders and mechs have a tendency to attack the first man-made structure they see and light things on fire.

cultist

All these suggestions about creating stockpiles don't really have anything to do with the basic idea: Dedicated medics, who can serve a function in battle without shooting/melee skills.
Yes, there are incredibly inefficient and resource-wasteful ways to circumvent the issue of a Godlike doctor being unable to perform basic first aid. That's not really what I'm gettting at here.

Humort

Quote from: cultist on February 25, 2015, 01:00:57 AMAll these suggestions about creating stockpiles don't really have anything to do with the basic idea: Dedicated medics, who can serve a function in battle without shooting/melee skills. Yes, there are incredibly inefficient and resource-wasteful ways to circumvent the issue of a Godlike doctor being unable to perform basic first aid. That's not really what I'm gettting at here.

Yes, the idea is interesting, but I think it would be appropriate, to more accurately describe the capabilities field of the doctor. I think that the doctor was able to provide first aid, stopping the bleeding, it would be very good and realestichno. To impose bus, prepare the wounded for transport, add the stretcher in the game - that would be great! Naturally, I not want the doctor worked wonders, making complex operations in such conditions.
I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

tommytom

My point, which I forgot to post, was that you would actually want proper medical care, not some field doctor throwing you in the mud and taping up blown off legs and arms and such.

Personally, I want the best care so they don't get scars and such and get gimped.

Maybe just allow for stopping the bleeding in the field as otherwise the rest would need huge negatives to balance them or otherwise why have a medical area at all or medical beds?

cultist

Quote from: tommytom on February 25, 2015, 04:21:13 PM
My point, which I forgot to post, was that you would actually want proper medical care, not some field doctor throwing you in the mud and taping up blown off legs and arms and such.

Personally, I want the best care so they don't get scars and such and get gimped.

Maybe just allow for stopping the bleeding in the field as otherwise the rest would need huge negatives to balance them or otherwise why have a medical area at all or medical beds?
I'm all for huge negatives. I've yet to scar a colonist even though I'm super cheap with medicine, which is just sort of baffling to me. Maybe it's not working as it should.
Instant scarring seems like a fair trade for a field patch-up. Or hey, 40% chance for ruining the limb they're working on.  Or+20 bleedout factor if they fail. Anything. It's just so annoying sometimes when your two only shooters go into shock from the very first hit they take because some tribal with shooting 1 got lucky with a spear. By the time I get them carried to a bed and assigned them a doctor, the fight is already decided.

Johnny Masters

Game should have slots, how and how many is open to debate.

Slots + medkit = combat medic (and everything else). You could have like everyone using a medkit in one of their slots or use a dedicated medic that would run from wounded to wounded, all up to your tactics and available resources.

But i agree, it should only make for first aid patching up, stopping bleedings and perhaps giving some adrenaline shots or some other combat drugs to "buff" their allies