Developing Traits

Started by Captain Sho, February 24, 2015, 07:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Sho

So I came up with this idea when thinking about starting up a colony of cannibals. The problem is, without mods it is hard to get the traits that you want and still end up with people with decent stats.

So i started thinking, what if your survivors could "develop" these traits in the actual game over time?
Here a few examples:

First, lets go back to the colony of cannibals idea.
Out of food with nothing but human corpses?
Have your survivors make meals out of them for the next month.
At first, it would cause a loss in mood and sanity but once they got use to it they would "develop" the cannibal trait.

Another idea would be the development of something i like to call the "cave dweller" trait
Where those who build their base underground, and thus likely to have their survivors be in the dark for a large amount of time, would no longer get "in darkness" for their mood and accuracy.

Other simple ones would be:
If you have someone who does a large amount of hauling = "jogger" trait
Does a large amount of harvesting = "green thumb" trait
Is idle often or stuck in bed for extend amounts of time = "lazy/slothful" trait

This also could work for alcohol,
lets say you have colony that produces large amounts of beer, etc.
I like to the think of this as the "FOR VALHALLA" trait, though "bloodlust" and all the weapon traits covers it,
but basically lots of alcohol =  Improved combat and high likelihood of binges after combat.

If you guys like this idea I also have idea for more "in-depth traits" but didn't want to turn this into a wall of text so lemme know and ill make another post!

tommytom

Cannibal colony: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10489

After discussions elsewhere, I think cannibal colony (and things like it) would have to be a separate rules scenario or something, either picked from the main menu or started based on the first three colonists you picked (3 cannibals = cannibal colony).

Also, some things could be rigged like rescue events with people of similar traits.

Anyways, your thread is more about developing traits. I like the idea, but it seems too easy to just fix your weaknesses by assigning jobs and wait. You would have to get random bad/good unrelated to what you did and also equally give bad traits... Like random soldiers decide they are "empaths" and refuse to fight from witnessing too much bloodshed (PTSD or "shell shock"), but it would have to be pretty rare or dependant on other traits (psychopath and bloodlust are immune).